Getting Back into Tarot-Slow Process

Shadow Wolf

I've been so busy lately. I'm off work for the summer but I've been busier than
when I'm working!!

It's just been one thing after another. Mostly doctors and dentists for the kids.

I have cleasned all my cards again and have started reconnecting with those
decks that I haven't used in a while. (Which is ALL of my tarot decks).

Things should be slowing down soon. I've had time but not solid blocks of time. I need the time to go through each card and write down my impressions and meditate on them. I have a book I really like on Tarot
Study. It's called "Tarot Awareness" I forget who the author is. I'm planning to go to Barnes and Noble today to get another book on studying Tarot and a Tarot Journal. I'm not great with journaling but I think it's really the only way to reconnect with the cards.

What's the best way to start?

I was going to start with the Major Arcana and then go from there

Aces, twos, threes etc......

Any suggestions that might help?

Shadow Wolf

I forgot to ask this.

Do I have to go deck by deck? or just use the traditional tarot. Is there deck you would recommend for tarot study?

This is getting very involved!!!

Thanks in Advance!

Alta

I would suggest just pick one deck, though if it doesn't seem to be working for you, don't feel you can't switch. But don't add various artists' visions to the study, try and zero in on the underlying meaning and feelings of the cards. Don't feel you necessarily have to go in order either.

Having one good book helps too, have a look in Tarot Books & media.

PeterS

Taking is slow and steady . . .

Shadow Wolf,

One thing that I have to remember is that understanding the tarot is not a destination but rather a journey. I know that sounds a little cliche but it is the truth.

I would suggest get a fairly standard deck or one that you really like and take is slowly and simply.

By all means journal, but I love and have become an advocate for a simple card of the day. A daily draw, thinking about the one card, the image, the meaning, message and symbols slowly allows me to grow in my understanding.

I only get burned out and frustrated when I think of all I do not know. Trust that the universe will communicate in terms you understand. The more you know the more detail, but trust yourself and your intuition to guide you.

The humble opinion of a continual student.

PeterS

willowfox

Yes, start with the majors and work your way through the deck, and I would think the RWS is best is start with, as least until you have a good understanding of what is what. Like as has already been said, tarot is a continuing story that will keep you occupied for a long time to come.

Astraea Aurora

Hi Shadow Wolf,

one suggestion for journaling: Corrine Kenner's "Tarot Journaling". It is more or less on the journaling aspect itself (what kind of journal, how to store etc.) but it gives great exercises you can do with your cards and then journal about your experiences.

All your bags are packed, you're ready to go ... have fun on your journey :D. Mine has just begun.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Kenny

willowfox said:
Yes, start with the majors and work your way through the deck, and I would think the RWS is best is start with, as least until you have a good understanding of what is what. Like as has already been said, tarot is a continuing story that will keep you occupied for a long time to come.
I would disagree here, the RWS isn't the best place to start if you are not interested in the RWS. There are quite a few books about both the Thoth--my favoured traditional deck. You don't have to read books if you do not want too.

My advice is: pick a deck you're drawn to and use that deck to learn about tarot.

willowfox

Kenny said:
There are quite a few books about both the Thoth--my favoured traditional deck.

Thoth! Way to weird and complicated.

RWS is my favourite "traditional" deck, it has so much meaning and depth to it.

Shadow Wolf

I've bought my journal, now I just have to choose a deck to work with, that's going to be the tough part. The first deck that comes to mind is Celtic Dragon, it's one of the first decks I bought so it would be almost like going back to my beginnings.

Also, I was thinking about joining a study group here and the just happen to have one on Celtic Dragon.

Guess I'm going with Celtic Dragon to start.

This helped me to decide.

Thanks!!

Briar Rose

I guess if you can team up with someone and talk about Tarot that helps.

I also find doing a three card reading, and writing one sentance helps. There's a thread for that, or you can keep a journal for it.

I got a book on combo's and it's way over my head for now. Good thing the books are timeless.

And chose a deck you love. No sense working with a deck you don't like.

It all comes down to memory and our intuitive sense.