Tarot Reading offered to children at Barnes and Noble...ethics question

Gayla

I think it is great this store celebrated the release of Harry Potter by offering tarot reading to the kids....I would think they kept it novel and the advise positive and very basic.

Pity these folks didn't agree...

http://www.cclmaine.org/artman/publish/Maine_3/Kiddie_Occult.shtml

"It boggles the mind that a mainstream company like Barnes and Noble would allow this witchcraft on its premises, and that they would then target unsupervised children for their tarot card fortune-telling activity."

Well...it boggles my mind these folks view it as inappropriate for a company like Barnes and Noble to explore anything other than their doctrine.

BUT, from a readers ethic perpective...Should readers provide readings to children under 18 without the consent or presence of a parent or guardian?

AJ

Another closed minded group like we run into every day.
They too are entitled to their opinions. Was thoughtful of them to include B&N email address...we can write and say what a great idea it was to include readings at the Potter Party...insert devil smiley.

Papageno

this is a perfect example of why Tarot has struggled up-hill here in America all these years............whereas in Italy, for example, Tarot is regularly used as a vehicle for commercial promotion
The Puritan ethic on these shores is still very strong

Gayla

AJ said:
Another closed minded group like we run into every day.
They too are entitled to their opinions. Was thoughtful of them to include B&N email address...we can write and say what a great idea it was to include readings at the Potter Party...insert devil smiley.

I know...I thought it was funny they included all those email addresses of the Barnes and Nobles executives....I like to be a fly on the wall when those executives read some of those emails. :)

And of course they are entitled to their own opinion...and if it wasn't for their wonderful little article, I wouldn't have had it to ponder today. ;)

Gayla

Papageno said:
...the Puritan ethic on these shores is still very strong

That a good one ;D.... Puritan Ethics ...I have to remember that one...

Demon Goddess

Whereas I am of the school that reading for children is an altogether foolish and impractical endeavour, I don't think that doing so is an "ethical" question.

Shame on these people for wanting to force their "religious" insanity on B&N.

Not to mention the fact that the article was altogether a simple case of yellow journalism. Consider the source I always say.

Anyone know whether B&N has issued a public response or have they simply chalked this stupidity up to crazy rightwing bible thumpers spewing hatred at what they do not understand?

I'm going to do a modicum of research on just what exactly the bible says about "witchcraft" and come back later with what I find.

T

Umbrae

IF these folks could (or would) even read the bible...

It's been quoted in these forums before - http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=897843&postcount=54

But you know, those wonderful Christian Folks have done us a favor by posting email addies for everybody to use - including us...

we don't have to sit by and discuss how lame the Fundies are - we CAN take action.

Baroli

Now, now, Umbrae I am one of those nice Christian folk, although not a

fundie by any shape or form. Good Grief no and can I get an AMEN!!! :D:D

Unfortunately, you are always going to have some group whether it fundamentalists or whatever sticking their noses into something that they just not too familiar with, simply because they don't have all the facts, or the facts they have are half-truths told to them by others who haven't got a clue at all.

baroli *still has her tamborine singin' Ride the Chariot*- })

Gayla

Yes, Bravo Umbrae! :)

Romans, Chapter 12. verses 3. to 8
3For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you. 4Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to hisfaith. 7If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; [6/] if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.