Benefits of hand-drawn vs computer chart?

seaweed

I'm smitten with learning the math and finer details of Astrology by hand...but *are* are there advantages to a hand-drawn chart vs a computer generated model?

It seems like there would be--one book likens the difference to the difference between a really well-made cup of coffee where you make/grind the beans yourself + dress it up with all the extras, versus a cup of instant coffee (I think the book is "The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need".) It says that both methods produce similar results, but not the *same* cup of joe.

Maybe another (or better,) questions to ask would be--

What are the benefits of a hand-drawn chart (and it's deficiencies)?

And what are the benefits of a computer-generated chart (and it's deficiencies?)

Just wondering,

willowfox

In the beginning of your studies you should most certainly learn to set up your own chart because it will give you a sound knowledge of the mathematics involved, then you can progress on to the computer produced charts. But with hand drawn, always, always check for mistakes.

You also have to take into consideration, that there may be no computers available when you want to set up a chart or your computer is broken, or there's a power cut. If those things happen and you can't do a chart by hand then you are going to feel silly, especially if you are in a hurry or have a client waiting for an answer.

Minderwiz

I agree with Willow Fox, you should try to produce at least some hand drawn charts - the more the better. It will give you an understanding of the basis on which charts are drawn and also the ability to spot mistakes in charts produced by computers. The latter are usually due to data entry errors and no matter how experienced an astrologer and computer user you are there will be times when you make data entry errors.

As Willow Fox says it is vital to check and recheck your calculations and that you have completed all the necessary steps.

The process of casting the chart yourself allows you to customise its design and tailor the artwork to your requirements, not just what someone else thinks is appropriate. Arguably this investment of something of yourself provides a bond with the chart that heightens your insights as to its meaning.

The great benefit of the computer drawn chart is speed and accuracy (allowing for the above points). If you have a lot of charts to do then hand drawing is usually not an option. So if you are drawing charts for your family, they will all have different dates, times and places of birth. One or possibly two charts a day is all that you are likely to achieve. If you have ten family members to chart this is likely to take all week.

The Seventeenth Century Astrologer, William Lilly provided advice to clients based on a chart for the time of consulltation. His practice was to hand draw a chart for the start of the day and then move the planets and points on as the day progressed. You can do ten charts a day on this basis but for other uses it's impracticable.

ravenest

A friend of mine makes hand drawn charts and paints them. They have amazing backgrounds usually depicting the combinations of the elements in the cards; storms and calm regions, beautiful swirls and pictorial representations of the energies involved. Each one is unique.

I have never seen a computer drawn up chart any thing like them. But they are expensive, but perhaps worth it to see your astro energy in artistic 'abstract' form.

Willamena

seaweed said:
I'm smitten with learning the math and finer details of Astrology by hand...but *are* are there advantages to a hand-drawn chart vs a computer generated model?

It seems like there would be--one book likens the difference to the difference between a really well-made cup of coffee where you make/grind the beans yourself + dress it up with all the extras, versus a cup of instant coffee (I think the book is "The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need".) It says that both methods produce similar results, but not the *same* cup of joe.
The benefit of hand-drawn, I think, is that with each symbol placed and drawn your mind relates it to all you've drawn to that point and dwells on the relevance of its meaning in context.