I am very pleased

Baroli

After much debate on my friend's part, she allowed me to read for her. This gal was a skeptic on Tarot cards, everything. But she her curiosity got the best of her and asked me if I would do a reading for her. So I said of course, and asked if she wanted something specific to which she answered no.

Well, I used Umbrae's 7-card horseshoe which is found in AT's E-book of spreads and of course here in the Spread forum. (Dude, you rock!).

I blew her away, by pulling out a couple of things I had no idea had happened. She is now a confirmed believer that there is something to this Tarot thing, and it isn't like Hollywood depicts it.

My one thing, however, is that there was some info that I felt instinctly to shield an protect her from. Having said that, I then decided to give it to her anyway, that it was part of the message, part of what was being conveyed to her. I think I made the right decision there.

Baroli

franniee

Baroli said:
My one thing, however, is that there was some info that I felt instinctly to shield an protect her from. Having said that, I then decided to give it to her anyway, that it was part of the message, part of what was being conveyed to her. I think I made the right decision there.

Congratulations Baroli! I have had that fight in my mind often lately and I think it is lack of confidence in myself that has made me hesitate. I worry that what I see may not be right and why upset the person unnecessarily but who says I am wrong? :) I think you made the right decision too. :D

celticnoodle

congrats Baroli! i had a very similar experience w/a friend also. she kept quoting the bible to me of the dangers and the sinning i was doing reading tarot. i quoted right back to her, (after I looked a few up first! :laugh:, as she knows the bible better then I do!), and finally she decided not to judge me w/o trying it out first. talk about pressure! however, same as you, i told her things I had no former knowledge of, (nor did anyone else in her outer circles), and she was so blown away, she now calls me frequently for 'tarot advice' in readings, she also meditates regularly now, (which she never did before), see's a psychic twice a year, :laugh: and had a psychic experience of her very own while meditating! Yep, I really 'corrupted' her and she cannot believe she was so crazy against it before! :laugh:

i've yet gotten her to go out and buy her own tarot cards, but she's headed in that direction. maybe your friend will do the same now, that you showed her how useful it can be!

the hardest part of reading for family & friends is to share everything you see with them--but you did right! it may turn out as you saw, or it may not, but you have to be honest and share it all with them, or you are not doing them any favors. good going Baroli!

Baroli

franniee said:
I worry that what I see may not be right and why upset the person unnecessarily but who says I am wrong? I think you made the right decision too.

I don't think it is ever easy with close friends. It is somewhat like with the skeptic who comes to you with body language closed folded arms, etc.

celticnoodle said:
the hardest part of reading for family & friends is to share everything you see with them--but you did right! it may turn out as you saw, or it may not, but you have to be honest and share it all with them, or you are not doing them any favors.

Exactly, what I was thinking; why censor the message. I was shown it for a reason. How she or any querent reacts and what they will do with the info given is up to them. But I was just happy she asked for a reading.

Baroli

Eddie

Baroli said:
After much debate on my friend's part, she allowed me to read for her. This gal was a skeptic on Tarot cards, everything. But she her curiosity got the best of her and asked me if I would do a reading for her. So I said of course, and asked if she wanted something specific to which she answered no.

Well, I used Umbrae's 7-card horseshoe which is found in AT's E-book of spreads and of course here in the Spread forum. (Dude, you rock!).

I blew her away, by pulling out a couple of things I had no idea had happened. She is now a confirmed believer that there is something to this Tarot thing, and it isn't like Hollywood depicts it.
Baroli said:

Baroli

You certainly did!!!. I strongly believe that as readers, it is our responsbility to convey what the cards say, as long as it is delivered sensitively, can't see as we have much of a choice. I wonder sometimes, if we took it upon ourselves to just deliver the messagees we choose, do you think the cards and those who choose to work with us would loose faith in us and could our readings suffer in turn? just a thought, Eddie.

Baroli

Eddie said:
You certainly did!!!. I strongly believe that as readers, it is our responsbility to convey what the cards say, as long as it is delivered sensitively, can't see as we have much of a choice. I wonder sometimes, if we took it upon ourselves to just deliver the messagees we choose, do you think the cards and those who choose to work with us would loose faith in us and could our readings suffer in turn? just a thought, Eddie.

I think when we change the message, to protect a person or to shield them from unpleasantness, you are basically taking their right to choose whether to listen to the message or to ignore. It is always the querents choice IMO. In my case, my "Mother Hen" instincts came out to protect. lol. But knowing the person and all that she had been through in her life, this was the least of her worries.

In all the time I have been reading both as a hobby and then later as a professional, I have never (and I can say this with assurity) altered a reading for anyone. It is what it is. I have had plenty of people tell me I am full of whatever and march off. Although it is gratifying when they come back or call me up 2 weeks later and tell me that whatever I said or close to it happened and they apologize profusely. Of course, I just smile and think to myself 'yes, you're happy now, until I read for you again, and you storm off after telling me I am full of whatever. :D

Baroli

Eddie

HaHa, Well i suppose if they don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the cards, they will always give it to you straight. I guess it will always be difficult reading for friends,relatives etc I find readings flow much better when i am reading for strangers.

Eddie

willowfox

I think it is always best for all concerned to read the message as it comes, we do not have the authority to censor what the cards say, it is up to the client what they accept or don't accept. If it is bad news, then they can make the necessary decision as to what they should do, and thus alter a nasty outcome, if they refuse to listen, it is their fault and nothing to do with the reader.

MoonLitCrystal

I read for a friend that was a skeptic once. I didn't blow him away so much that he is into Tarot now, but I think he definitely believes, even if it's just a teensey bit ;) He still puts on the act that it's "just a bunch of mumbo jumbo" but of course he is more agreeable and eager when I offer to read for him.

Sinduction

I have a Catholic friend who will not even touch my cards. Although she did notice my Gothic deck and say, "Is that Vargo?" She still wouldn't touch them but she was looking over my shoulder for the rest of that reading. *sigh* Baby steps, I guess.

One by one we will change the world. :D