Colors in the (Sioux) Medicine Wheel

sharpchick

I am making some prayer beads, based on the Sioux medicine wheel. The colors in the wheel are yellow (East), red (South), black (West) and white (North).

What I need suggestions and feedback on are the four beads under the spirit bead (for which I am using a piece of turquoise). I want to repeat the medicine wheel colors. The beads will be in a vertical line, and I am thinking in this order from top to bottom: Yellow, red, black and white - my logic, for me East is the direction of beginnings. . . that also tracks Sioux correspondence of that direction.

Thoughts?

dandelion

Do you happen to know which direction the Sioux traditionally begin with for devotions? East is a logical place to start, but I can't say with any certainty that it's traditional.

I would agree that East works as a starting point, but honestly - wheel is the keyword! My gut is usually my best guide - I believe that what's most important is what color works for you as the artist and creator.

Just my two cents ;)

enjoy,
-d

Mi-Shell

The Sioux start their prayers of the Sacred Hoop in the West!

sharpchick

The Sun Dance starts in the west also.

For a purification ritual, a pile of dirt is taken from the center of the sweat lodge and used to create a sacred path to the east of the sweat lodge. At the end of the path a small mound is created.

I think the direction of the beginning of ritual makes a difference depending on what kind of ritual - one that signifies endings starts in the west, and beginnings are east.