Sage

Michelle

I planted sage in front of my house a few years ago and I was just wondering if I can dry the leaves to use for smudging. I'm not sure what kind of sage it is, I didn't pay close attention at the time of planting. It's actually two different kinds. One of the plants has kind of spikey leaves while the other plants have leaves with smoother edges. Does that even make sense?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Namaste,
Michelle

lunalafey

I don't see why it could not be used.
It sounds like the first sage you describe is the one commonly used in cooking.

Michelle

lunalafey said:
I don't see why it could not be used.
It sounds like the first sage you describe is the one commonly used in cooking.

Thank you,lunalafey.

I wasn't sure if it has to be a certain kind to smudge with. Guess I should do some research.
I use sage a lot while cooking - it would be great if I could use what I've grown.

Namaste,
Michelle

celticnoodle

Hi michelle. Yes, you can use this sage for smudging, I do with the sage I plant. I love sage, the smell of it and the feel of it and all. It's a beautiful plant, and easy to dry too. I pick a bunch of it every year and hang it upside down, tied to a coat hanger, which then hangs in my office to dry. Just make sure it is not leaning up against anything, like a wall. It needs to have the air get all around it to dry properly.

You can also easily freeze sage to use in the dead of winter for your cooking, too. take an individual leaf or a stalk w/many leaves on it. wash it and dry it thoroughly and then lay it on a cookie sheet and place it unwrapped in the freezer for a few hours. Once it is completely frozen, then you can wrap it securely in plastic wrap and freeze it for future use. I also grind it up into small particles (for soups and such, and put it into ice cube trays, fill with water and freeze it that way. when you make soups or something where you need sage, you can easily add it to the pot.

one thing i need to say is that burning sage is a strong odor, and so I burn mine outside, as my husband does not like the smell of it burning. I would strongly recommend you do the same the first time. burn many leaves of the sage and then save the ashes for smudging in an airtight container. if you don't mind the odor of burning sage, then you can do it the 2nd time inside the house.

doreen

White Sage

White Sage is used for smudging,
It was used by Native American Indians.
Its very powerful.
Doreen

sharpchick

doreen is correct - the problem with that is that white sage grows best in more temperate summer climates than I enjoy in my USDA Zone 7 southeastern US garden - our summers are so very humid and hot, and white sage will flounder in those conditions. It flourishes in milder, mountainous climates of the western US.

So if you want to be "authentic" in making your own sage smudgesticks, you should probably purchase some loose white sage online or through a local metaphysical shop. Otherwise, just use the regular sage, dry it thoroughly and bundle it tightly and enjoy. (I believe the Great Spirit recognizes our intent.)

Remember sweetgrass is also used for smudging by many tribes and clans.

Michelle

celticnoodle said:
Hi michelle. Yes, you can use this sage for smudging, I do with the sage I plant. I love sage, the smell of it and the feel of it and all. It's a beautiful plant, and easy to dry too. I pick a bunch of it every year and hang it upside down, tied to a coat hanger, which then hangs in my office to dry. Just make sure it is not leaning up against anything, like a wall. It needs to have the air get all around it to dry properly.

You can also easily freeze sage to use in the dead of winter for your cooking, too. take an individual leaf or a stalk w/many leaves on it. wash it and dry it thoroughly and then lay it on a cookie sheet and place it unwrapped in the freezer for a few hours. Once it is completely frozen, then you can wrap it securely in plastic wrap and freeze it for future use. I also grind it up into small particles (for soups and such, and put it into ice cube trays, fill with water and freeze it that way. when you make soups or something where you need sage, you can easily add it to the pot.

one thing i need to say is that burning sage is a strong odor, and so I burn mine outside, as my husband does not like the smell of it burning. I would strongly recommend you do the same the first time. burn many leaves of the sage and then save the ashes for smudging in an airtight container. if you don't mind the odor of burning sage, then you can do it the 2nd time inside the house.

Thank you ,celticnoodle. You have shared so much information ! I really appreciate it. I am most definitely going to try drying and freezing sage. I use it in soups & stews all winter and you have a great idea with the frozen cubes. It would be nice to have a fresh supply for cooking.

I know what you mean about the odor. When I smudge with purchased sage bundles -my husband asks me not to do our closet . He doesn't want his uniforms to smell like sage.

Thank you again !

Namaste,
Michelle

Michelle

doreen said:
White Sage is used for smudging,
It was used by Native American Indians.
Its very powerful.
Doreen

This is exactly why I was asking, Doreen. I knew the bundles and loose sage I purchase is white sage. I wasn't sure if that was the only kind you could use.

Thank you for answering my question.

Namaste,
Michelle

Michelle

sharpchick said:
doreen is correct - the problem with that is that white sage grows best in more temperate summer climates than I enjoy in my USDA Zone 7 southeastern US garden - our summers are so very humid and hot, and white sage will flounder in those conditions. It flourishes in milder, mountainous climates of the western US.

So if you want to be "authentic" in making your own sage smudgesticks, you should probably purchase some loose white sage online or through a local metaphysical shop. Otherwise, just use the regular sage, dry it thoroughly and bundle it tightly and enjoy. (I believe the Great Spirit recognizes our intent.)

Remember sweetgrass is also used for smudging by many tribes and clans.

Hi sharpchick,
I wish I knew what kind I'm growing. I'm sure it's not white sage, though. I probably can't grow that in Michigan. I guess I will continue purchasing smude sticks and using them. I just thought that since I have so much sage, it would be nice to be able to use it.

I have never used sweetgrass. Is the smell any less potent than sage? My husband has asthma and sometimes the smokes bothers him, even hours later.

Thank you !

Namaste,
Michelle

sharpchick

White sage (Salvia apiana) is what is commonly used to make smudge sticks. You probably are growing common sage (as am I and thousands of other backyard gardeners), which is Salvia officinalis L. or salvia alpina. I've attached pics of all three below. (The white sage is the bottom pic.)

Sweetgrass has a pleasant smell to me, but if asthma is a problem, any smudging herb would be problematic I'd think, because the point is to have smoke, which is very irritating to people with asthma.

Attachments

• common sage.jpg
    common sage.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 90
  • salvia alpina.jpg
    salvia alpina.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 79
  • salvia apiana.jpg
    salvia apiana.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 82