Cards that get creased

Major Tom

Throughout the year I do a variety of events where I sell tarot readings and part of my process is to allow people to shuffle my tarot deck. I use the unlaminated/uncoated Major Tom's Tarot of Marseilles and have done for over two years now. Inevitably, with hundreds of pairs of hands shuffling the deck the cards get worn and very occasionally creased across the width of the card. Wear and tear was very much expected. The edges of the deck have gone dark. The unrounded corners of the cards are now rounded. The images themselves show wear. I absolutely love the feel of my deck that has seen so much use.

Thus far, only three of my cards have been creased across the width of the card. The first was the Hanged Man. The second was the Two of Cups and the third was the Cavalier of Coins. It's struck me that these cards have significance both for me and the people for whom I read. It's made me curious about others' experiences.

Have you ever had a card get creased across it's width? Which card was it?

Debra

I love the look of your Marseille tarot, Maj.

I bought a used Ukiyoe deck with three creased cards and came to an agreement with the seller for a partial refund rather than send it back. I just ignore the creases but I know really they are there.

caridwen

Two cards are very creased in my Druidcraft deck. The Princess of Pentacles and The Lovers.:)

Alta

My used Thoth has creases (2) across The Devil. I have always wondered if that was deliberate.

EarthFaery

I stopped letting other people shuffle my cards a long time ago, now I just have them cut the deck into 3 piles. My Lovers card in RWS has a crease across the middle, it doesn't seem to mean anything though. All of my other decks are crease free:)

Keavy McGee

My XII Jack in the Beanstalk card in Inner Child Cards. They're huge, so that was some force that creased it across the middle!! And The Hanged Man is one of the cards I check before I ever buy a deck; if it doesn't work for me, the deck won't work for me. Funny how that is!!

Keavy

Lillie

I got a used deck off ebay with a creased card.

1jj Swiss. The Empress.
It only cost a quid, so I didn't complain.

I'm still sulking about it though, and it was ages ago.

Big bad fold type crease.

aranarose

Once did a reading for my husband. He creased the Two of Cups. We're now separated. Granted, it's not because of the creased card (though it was my favorite deck!), but it foreshadowed the loss of intimacy, and the subsequent affairs on his part, that did cause the downfall of the marriage.

lark

My Empress from my Tarot of the Old Path is creased...but it's my fault she was the victim of a computer chair roll over.
Maybe that's why I'm having so many woman problems.

FoolToThink

Well it's not all the way across the width, but it's a good way across, and then it doubles back and makes sort of a triangle ridge...
in my Universal Waite Knight of Cups. Which I've always felt was a "me" card...not that it shows up in readings much, but that, when reading its description, I identify with it. Also it now affects where I cut the deck which is not cool! And also probably why it doesn't show up much...whenever I cut the deck at that point (I always peak), I get mad and recut.