PDA

View Full Version : Linden Blossom

Chronata
09-09-2007, 06:33
The other day, my lovely spouse took me to the local scent store because he wanted some new liquid soap in his favorite scent...

and he offered to buy me a new essential oil.

I happily sniffed my way through all the new tester bottles that they had...and then I discovered Linden Blossom!

This is the first time they had it, and I fell absolutely in love with the fragrance of it!

so...does anyone have any interesting info on Linden trees, or Linden blossom?

From an herbalist perspective as well as magickal/folklore...I am very interested in hearing about this incredible scent!

tabbycat
09-09-2007, 08:39
Linden blossom comes from trees of Tilia sp, called lime* trees in Europe and lindens in North America. They are sacred to the goddess Freyja and cannot be struck by lightning, as Thor was Freyja's husband and wouldn't dream of upsetting her by allowing that to happen! Good against hysteria and restlessness, apparently, and gathered by bees to make a pale, fragrant honey. Also, never park your car under them when they're in flower, as they drip very sticky nectar that's very difficult to remove from the paintwork!
The smell is gorgeous though, isn't it. A long time ago I used a linden blossom skin toner made by Boots the Chemist** and sold in wonderful brown bottles with corks. Discontinued now, but I still remember it fondly, and it smelt absolutely divine.

*not to be confused with the trees that produce the citrus fruit.
** a long-established English institution which made medicines and cosmetics, based in Nottingham. Think it's been sold now to some European conglomerate.

Alta
09-09-2007, 08:58
No, but there is a yummy scent store here and now I'll have to look! So thanks. :D

BodhiSeed
09-09-2007, 09:23
The sticky stuff that gets on your car is actually from aphids. They suck the sugary sap from the linden's leaves, but because they also need amino acids which the linden offers little of, the sugar surplus is released by the aphid.

In "Metamorphoses," Ovid tells of a poor husband and wife who outdid themselves as hosts to a pair of strangers (actually Zeus and Hermes in disguise). As a reward, the gods granted the couple's wish to die together, turning the husband, Philemon, into an oak, and his wife, Baucis, into a linden, with their branches intertwined.

Native tribes used the inner bark of the American linden to make a strong rope, as well as a potent tea tht treated lung ailments and heartburn. The soft wood was ideal for sculpting, and many Native American used it for carving face masks. In France, a calming tea was made from the linden blossoms (probably the European variety).

Cunningham lists the magical properties of European linden as protection, immortality, luck, love and sleep.

Enjoy your new oil!
Bodhran

Chronata
09-09-2007, 11:37
Oh Thank you Tabby and Bodhran!

I love those myths! What great stories!

I felt such an amazing pull to this fragrance...like coming home.

I HAD to have it! I may mix it with carrier to wear it. It's prettier than most perfumes I have smelled!

Michelle
09-09-2007, 13:16
I have never heard of it, but you have definitely peaked my interest. It sounds absolutely lovely. Will have to look for it.

Namaste,
Michelle

memries
09-09-2007, 13:26
Last year when my son bought his house about an hour away, there is a beautiful tree in front of it. I would sit on the porch and admire it. Researched it and asked on here as well and it turned out to be a Linden Tree, commonly known also as American Basswood.

I have had my car covered in sticky sap more than once and also all the birds sat in it to eat cherries from the tree across the street. That was not a good scene but I still park there.

The green of the leaves is so beautiful and the odor of the tree when the little green things appear is really wonderful as well. It seems like a sacred type of tree to me and I did not know what has been written here.

willowfox
09-09-2007, 13:50
Linden flower tea is very good, as it can be used for headaches, ingestion, diarrhea, it promotes sweating and is also very useful for calming agitated children, it is also said to relieve tension and anxiety problems. It seems to be beneficial in the treatment of high blood pressure and heart disease.

wizzle
12-09-2007, 16:26
Wow... linden??? That is a memory from my childhood.

My mom is from eastern europe where the linden is prevalent and linden tea is popular. Although we lived in So California, she planted a linden tree. Most years we got a plentiful flower crop which fell on to her driveway.... which was always pristine. You know, like those floors people can eat off of cause they are kept so clean by the lady of the household.

Anyway, mom would gather up the flowers and dry them for tea. It's wonderful and soothing for pretty much whatever ails ya. Smells great. You can use the flowers straight for making tea.. about a heaping tablespoon per cup.... or mix with regular tea in about 1/2 to 1/2 proportions.

Unlike a lot of herbs that go flat quickly, linden flowers last several years if kept in a tightly sealed jar.

Chronata
17-09-2007, 11:03
I felt such an amazing pull to this fragrance...like coming home.

I went to visit my Mom this week, and told her all about my new Linden Blossom obsession :D

She told me that when we first moved to the house, when I was five, the tree out front was a linden tree! It only lasted about a year, before it grew sickly, and the village replaced it.

No wonder it reminds me of home!