Forming sentences from a spread of cards

firemaiden

Has anyone played with making sentences from a spread of cards - using each card as one word - or one linguistic structure in a larger whole?

How would you do it?

firemaiden

Okay, I just looked at that thead. Thanks. But well, no. I had something a little different in mind. Those sentences still seem like complete readings. I was thinking more in terms of using the tarot almost like an Ouija board (except for whole words, not letters) Where each card would be one key word, or key concept -- not a whole idea - but totally dependent on the other cards to make sense.

Like for example: Hermit + Tower + Ace Swords + 4 coins + seven of coins

"Winter-Storm warning-- store provisions"

--really an extended keyword combination exercise. Does anyone do this? Or want to experiment putting some of these together?

Sometimes I like to imagine the tarot is trying to speak using sign language - like Koko the gorilla - putting together smaller ideas like "white" and "bird" to mean "swan".

Raya

That thread was interesting, but I think you could simplify it a bit. I like the whole subject+verb+object/adjective/adverb thing. But instead let's try to keep each card as close to one word as possible.

The example in the other thread was:

Fictitious Question: Will I be happy on my new job?
Pulled:3 Pentacles + Five of Wands + Sun

Master + competes + successfully or for success

So the master (the 3 Pentacles usually shows a master craftsman) competes successfully. You will face competition but it will be successful and thus worthwhile.

I was messing with the formula, and making the subject a person and not just a noun helps the whole thing make more sense.

Hmmm... this is kinda fun. I'm going to have to experiment with it myself...

Alta

I have done the subject - verb - object format, sometimes with adjectives and adverbs thrown in.

As in

subject + adjective + verb + adverb + object.

Baroli

FM,

I think in Llewellyns 2007 or 2008 book has an article about something similar to this, hold on sec.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,darn I don't have it handy at the moment, but I was interested in that (this will drive me nuts until I find it HA!! GOT IT!!:D), in the 2007 Llewellyn Reader an article on the Grammar of Tarot by Elizabeth Hazel, where she goes into using the cards in simple sentence structure ie Subject > Predicate > Direct Object. I thought this was pretty cool. It goes on to describe how you can construct complex sentences with the cards. On page 113.

I know what you are talking about as well. It would be interesting to see how to set something like that up, using keywords etc.

Baroli

Aulruna

I've also done the subject -verb - object thing, though I have always used an oracle deck for one of the positions. It was to practise mixed deck readings, or practise with those pracles who only have "noun cards" or "action cards" - I used to have trouble putting those into context.

It was great fun, and I'd be game for any kind of exercise of this type!

aranarose

There's a book, Tarot 1*2*3, that explores this concept in depth. Each card has a keyword sentence broken into three parts. You read the cards in triplets. The first card says the first part of its own sentence, the second card says the second part of its own sentence, and the third card says the third part of its own sentence. It's an interesting concept, but I wasn't all that happy with the keyword sentences he chose, as putting them together makes for some strange meanings at times.

Demon Goddess

firemaiden said:
Has anyone played with making sentences from a spread of cards - using each card as one word - or one linguistic structure in a larger whole?

How would you do it?

I have actually read series' of cards like a statement in readings... rather simply. It's not something that I have ever actually done, so to speak, but it has happened naturally.

Perhaps a study exercise to see how certain series' of cards would read as a statement might be in order?

T