Finding test-subjects-err I mean querents?

sleepingcat

Well, Umbrae's post started everyone off, and Satori I think it was, urged us to go try.

So how does one find strangers to read for?

And how does one avoid getting thrown out on one's ear (or worse, in a police car!) for solication?

This is assuming friends of friends, or people in your work/soical/school circle you havent met yet dont count. Since they arent really strangers, you just havent met them yet.

Yurikome

Why wouldn't they count? They're strangers as long as you know nothing about them, at least to me. Although I'm talking about friends of friends. Because I understand how seeing someone every day (at work, for example) makes someone less of a stranger.

And about getting potential querents.. Haven't tried that yet, just like that, without recommendation, but if I were to do this, I'd sit in a cafe or some place like that and just play around with my cards, make them visible. Could as well be filling up my journal, as long as the statement "I've got tarot cards! Curios?" is clearly out there ;)

Sinduction

In Ohio, there is no law against "fortune telling" for money but you may want to check your county and city laws. I'm in Ohio too and formerly worked in the field of law.

Go ahead and use your friends and family. Most of my clients came from referrals from my friends and family. I don't charge my friends or family but I do give reduced rates to people they send to me. Usually for the first few readings. But I don't really have a set price. I like to barter and have them pay what they think it's worth.

If you want to read in a public place, such as a cafe, make sure you ask a manager or owner if it's ok with them. I do a lot of my readings in a night club and the bartender/manager is my biggest client. She loves that I do readings there and even tells people to tip me since I never charge for the readings I do there. Although I have been thinking about setting up a table for their special event nights and giving the money to a charity that one of my friends supports.

Mostly just having your cards out will get people to approach you but word of mouth is the best I've found at bringing in new clients.

You could also put up flyers and give out business cards. There have been a lot of suggestions around the board about this topic. One I liked a lot, I can't remember who posted it, was to give your clients a business card, have them write their name on the back and if they send you someone new, they get a reduced rate reading. Or even a free reading.

I also just want to say that I'm not a full time reader and I don't like to take payment for my readings. But everyone is different and I certainly see nothing wrong with reading for money.

Good luck to you. :)

Sophie

Anybody you don't know is a stranger. It doesn't matter if they are friends of friends, someone who works in the same joint, someone you met on the bus or someone who walks into your tent at a fair. In some small places, there are no other kinds of strangers than those distantly in our circle, because everybody knows everybody who knows all the others - and unless you are a travelling gipsy, you'll be one of the everybody.

I think the point is this: when you read for aunt Mary, it's one thing. You know a lot about her, and what you don't know, she's not going to admit to you. But aunt Mary's friend Gladys, whom you've only ever seen to say hello to briefly, if at all, will be someone new to you -and you will be new to her. And Gladys will allow you to read for her in far more depth than your aunt would, and will have an exchange with you she wouldn't have with people she knows.

Tarot is a bit magic that way ;)

... and then again, you can pop to the next town (preferably one with liberal laws), sit in a coffee shop, start shuffling and looking through your cards and strike up conversations with other customers until they bite and ask for a reading. It's a form of solliciting, but it can be done very charmingly and without giving offence.

Good luck!

connegrl

Here's how I troll for sitter's. Of course my part of the PNW is most likely a little more tolerant than Ohio. Don't know of course.

I go to a mall that has a food court. The one I favor also has a Half Price Books with a Starbucks and lots of chairs and tables outside the Half Price books where people can sit and enjoy their Latte. You go in with the intention of reading for 'someone. You need to make yourself approachable. Don't wear clothing that scares people away! If you have a sincere intention to read for someone in need, they will come to you as you sit there sipping your latte and playing with your cards. If you spend lots of time writing in your journal, you aren't approachable enough. Look up and make eye contact frequently. Use a deck that is neutral. I may have more than one deck with me, but I only use the International Icon to read with.

I would think the right bar would be very good.

Also, I only accept a cup of tea as payment. I suppose if I was in a bar, I wouldn't turn down a beer or a drink. I tell people I'm an apprentice. LOL Just a page of pents learning their craft.

I really am not very experienced at trolling for sitters, but I've done it a few times now.

Jen

.traveller.

A college campus is ideal, if you are confident and relaxed, just pulling out a deck of cards will get you mobbed in minutes. The Quad is a good place to lurk. Restaurants with servers, just have your cards out... every server I've done that to has hit me up for a reading. Tell people you'll read at their party. After a while people will be looking for you rather than you looking for them.
This is just my experience.

6 Haunted Days

Frankly, it's pretty easy! Once I mention to complete strangers (customers where I work say for example) that I read tarot almost everyone w/o fail is fascinated and wants a reading.

When I used to have free time, I would sit in the park or on the lawn in front of the library, just shuffling and people watching....people see the cards and they are a huge conversation starter. In my experience people are generally very drawn to the Tarot. Those kinds of encounters and readings I have never charged for. It's just great fun and a way for me too connect with others (I can be very overly anti-social) and hopefully help them out if I can. That's something to try perhaps?

Miss 6

Little Hare

.traveller. said:
A college campus is ideal, if you are confident and relaxed, just pulling out a deck of cards will get you mobbed in minutes. The Quad is a good place to lurk. Restaurants with servers, just have your cards out... every server I've done that to has hit me up for a reading. Tell people you'll read at their party. After a while people will be looking for you rather than you looking for them.
This is just my experience.

see i don't do that, god at my uni i'd feel as if i'd be burned... okay i'm exaggerating slightly but i'm always always seeing the group of bible study one side of me, muslims on the other, hillsongers behind me... so its not the sorta area i wanna whip mine out unfortunatly... i know i know i should be brave, but i'm a pansy.... eh

willowfox

Wherever you are most people know what tarot cards look like, get them out, lay them on a table or the grass and soon people will come over to you, the cards act like a magnet, everyone wants to know their future.

Annabelle

.traveller. said:
A college campus is ideal, if you are confident and relaxed, just pulling out a deck of cards will get you mobbed in minutes. The Quad is a good place to lurk.
So true! I know a few people who do this. I can't, though . . . as university faculty, it just wouldn't be wise. The environment is just too conservative around here. But I have been known to read for my colleagues on occasion :).