Whachamacallit? II

jmd

In a thread now long gone and archived, Major Tom asked what to call ourselves - from tarot collectors to tarot readers to other tarot aficionados.

A number of terms are possible and, quite frankly, have yet to find one that I find personally acceptable.

Of the more 'popular' ones, tarotlogue is perhaps my preferred option - but even this falls far short of something that seems apt. As for 'tarotist', the word just doesn't 'click' for me.

So... any other suggestions?

The most common suggestions (with a couple of additional ones) seem to be:
  • tarotist (as in 'artist')
  • taroist (ibid)
  • tarotor (as in 'doctor')
  • taroteur (as in 'amateur')
  • tarotlogue (common French ending equivalent to both '-logist' and '-loger')
  • tarologer (as in 'astrologer')
  • tarotlogist (as in 'archaeologist')
  • tarotphile (as in 'bibliophile')

thorhammer

jmd said:
The most common suggestions (with a couple of additional ones) seem to be:
  • tarotist (as in 'artist')
  • taroist (ibid)
  • tarotor (as in 'doctor')
  • taroteur (as in 'amateur')
  • tarotlogue (common French ending equivalent to both '-logist' and '-loger')
  • tarologer (as in 'astrologer')
  • tarotlogist (as in 'archaeologist')
  • tarotphile (as in 'bibliophile')

I like tarologer.
Tarotlogist is too scientific and detached for mine.
Tarotphile makes me think stamp collector.
Taroteur is just too hard to say.
Taroist is just pretentious.
Tarotist sounds dumb.
Tarotor????? Huh?????
Tarotlogue - what? Analogue? Analogous to what??

The more I think of it, the more I like tarologer. Yep, that's what I am. Sounds like a journeyer, a seeker-after-truth, an adventurer. Yep.

\m/ Kat

star-lover

taroist sounds like terrorist lol

tarotviewer?tarotseer?

tarotloger from the above list would be my pick

AJ

Tarot Evangelist

willowfox

Tarotologist

Tarotologer

Tarot reader

Alta

I like tarotist, but tarotlogue works for me as well. Though possibly because I have studied French.

Marion

Satori

What about cartomancer or cartomantic? Especially for those of us who use oracles and other kinds of cards outside of the Tarot.

Grizabella

I'm just a tarot reader. But other than that, if I had to choose it would be tarotist. It just seems like the best choice to me.

Cartomancer is a good descriptive word, I guess, to be used among fellow readers if I must.

I prefer to K.I.S.S.-------keep it simple, sweetheart. If the average person who is looking for a reading were to go to the phone book looking for a listing, they'd look for "Tarot Reader". Most probably wouldn't have the least clue that there's even a word like "cartomancer" or "tarotlogue" or something stilted like that. :)

prudence

hmm, I see it's not been mentioned here yet, but I have always been fond of the term "Tarot Grand Poobah".

It has a quiet dignity to it, yes?

Sophie

I like Tarot-teller myself - reminds me of fortune-teller and story-teller...and Tarantella, cos' Tarot drives me a little mad ;)