School workshop

Grizabella

I mentioned here on AT awhile back that my grandkids wanted me to do a Tarot workshop at their school because many other kids were interested. It will be a one-day workshop but if there's enough interest, I'll be scheduled to continue helping the students study on a weekly basis. At least one staff member and three parents are interested already, too. The staff member and parents have their own decks and have been independently trying to learn on their own but the students don't have decks of their own.

Bless Papageno! He remembered my having mentioned it and donated a generous selection of brand new decks so now I can have the workshop with decks for all the students! I know and use RWS style decks myself, so that's what he's donating, and everyone is SOOO excited! The grandkids and their friends who are interested in tarot, the staff person and parents, and all the students who have been wanting to learn are practically jumping up and down with glee and anticipation. :) I even dreamed about how I'd conduct the workshop last night. The dreams were so vivid that it woke me up and then I was awake for hours, planning and watching the big beautiful moon going by past my bedroom windows.

Now I'm going to buy some inexpensive spiral notebooks and colorful pens to give one to each student to journal with. I'll make the most of the donated decks by giving them out on a lending library basis. That way the students will be expected to keep track of them and be more responsible for them. Those who are really serious about continuing can keep them---or buy them so I can replace them for students who may join in as we go along.

If there isn't enough interest to schedule a weekly class at the school (which is way out in the hills anyway), then I'll have the students who do want to continue come here on a weekly basis to continue studying and sharing at my house. I think having others to share with and do reading circles with is important.

The workshop is set for October 26th, just in time for Halloween! How perfect is that, huh? :D

This is the most wonderful thing for the kids as well as for myself! When I told my grandkids, at first they didn't believe me.

We live in a very small town and they go to an unconventional charter school with only 60 students (present count) ranging in age from 5 to 19, so the students will be of varying ages. The school's philosophy is to let the students learn whenever and whatever they want to learn. They also govern themselves by a democratic government, deciding what they want to learn and right now quite a few of them have chosen to learn Tarot. For the students who choose to continue with me after their worksop, their assignment for next summer will be to set up a little group of tables somewhere and offer readings to strangers. :shhh: They don't know this yet. :D :D :D

thorhammer

The rest of the world is a wonderful place!

Oh, Solitaire, this is magical news! Good for you, and for all your new students, young and not-so-young! How different my life would have been if I'd had open-minded influences so young! *Sighs wistfully* Not that my life is so bad .. .

A thousand and one congratulations! Please keep us posted, so I can live vicariously! :)

\m/ Kat

Grizabella

I certainly will keep everyone posted!

This school they go to is fantastic. Two of my older grandchildren have already graduated and they're just wonderfully motivated, secure, confident, well-balanced kids who know who they are, what they want, and how to go about accomplishing it. I wish schools like this had been available for my kids and myself.

Sinduction

Oh how fun!!

Congrats! :D

lunalafey

That is just too cool.
My daughter also attends a charter school and the school is hosting a Medieval festival. I'll be signing up for a 'fortune teller' shift with my Fey deck in hand.

Let us know how things progress, would love to see a 'journal' of your experience.

Scion

Yay! That's fantastic news, E!

That Papageno is some kind of wonderful... :) I love that we're on two sides of the continent... like Tarot study brackets. Your lending library idea is exactly how I handled decks the last time I taught, and the kids took fantastic care of them. Very excited to hear how the workshop goes, and how it evolves into an ongoing study.

Spreading the Tarot love from coast to coast!

;)

Scion

memries

This is really an exciting, innovative approach Solitaire. All the kids will think they are at Hogwarts ! My congratulations to you and best wishes for continuing success. It will open doors to so many areas of interest for them.

Moonbow

Wonderful news Solitaire* and you will be so good at this too. These kids of yours and Scions are so lucky to have this opportunity, I would have loved a chance like this to learn Tarot at an early age. Unfortunately I still don't see this type of thing happening any time soon where I live.

And Papageno just think of the chance that you've given these kids too! How generous of you.

Good luck and keep us posted Solitaire*

Nimbus

This is terrific news! How very exciting!!!

Wish I could be a bee on the window sill watching it all unfold. I will be sure to read any follow-up posts on this. And for it all to happen just before Halloween will be reat fun for the kids.

Like you, I have awaken from my dreams with the creative fire burning and been able to accomplish so much as a result. I love that sort of inspiration and energy!

Have fun, Solitaire!

Grizabella

Thank you all for being so excited for me and encouraging to me. I'll have some of the students take some digital photos when we're doing the workshop and I'll post them.