Long Stay for Mars in Cancer

balenciaga

Hi
Anyone have comments as to the significance of Mars extra long stay in Cancer this time around? Does it mean vulnerability and defensiveness because of Mars' weakened position in this watery placement? On the good side, it might temper hotheads the world over. Thoughts?

willowfox

There is no special significance attached to its forward, then retrograde and then forward movement again in Cancer.

If a person has a conjunction, square, trine or opposition from Mars while in Cancer then they can expect some activity for good or bad in their lives, but a transit of Mars happens quite quickly, in the space of a few days it is over.

dadsnook2000

Way back when . . .

Way back in ancient times when either the Sun or Mars was in Cancer, warriors used to go off to fight for the homeland. Perhaps they thought it was better to fight somewhere else than fight in their own fields and orchards.

The bottom line is that planetary symbols seek to express themselves no matter what sign they are in. While some signs are considered better than others for a given planet, it still all comes down to what is that planet doing relative to planets in your chart. That's what counts most. Dave

balenciaga

Oh okay, thanks for the replies. I was thinking of a universal application of Mars in Cancer, generally. Cancer is self-protective and vulnerable; Mars' warrior type aggression would be softened or dulled by Cancer. That was my thinking anyway. :)

Barbaras Ahajusts

Just saw this thread..

Oh okay, thanks for the replies. I was thinking of a universal application of Mars in Cancer, generally. Cancer is self-protective and vulnerable; Mars' warrior type aggression would be softened or dulled by Cancer. That was my thinking anyway.

Hi balenciaga,
I had been reading up on Mars rx setting in Cancer and ran acrossed this thread again. Looking at the chart, Cancer sets in the house of home and family. I am wondering if the holidays are going to be a pain to get everyone to get along for the celebrations? *In fact my oldest just called to inform me that she isn't going to her brothers because of his of fiance's family. Oh here we go again!*

I don't think anything could soft soap Mars. :D And I just don't see Cancer's temper softening anything. Mostly male Cancers. They "seem" to have a Mars type of temper when they are exposed or frustrated. (My ex step mummy was a act all to her self as she was a dominating female Cancer.)

I myself am not looking forward to the long exposure. This being our holiday seasons, and my Cancer is at home,24/7. Maybe convincing him to take any arguements on the road for a long walk would be the key to making sure he stays calm,at Turkey day & Christmas? :laugh:

After Merc's rx roaring trip, surely this time cant' be as bad? I sure hope not!
I'm to old to deal with this..at least I thought it was.

;)Barb

GoddessArtemis

Here's something I found online that is pretty thorough, though I can't vouch for it's accuracy:

On November 15, 2007, Mars reaches his retrograde station, in preparation for a period of retrograde motion which will last until January 30th, 2008. On top of that, the effects of the retrograde period will continue to be felt until he returns in direct motion on April 4th, 2008 to the degree where he first made his station (12° Cancer 27'). The first beginnings of the effect take place from October 20, as Mars begins to slow, so prepare for issues to cloud, especially if you have strong Cardinal Sign placements in your chart. The Cardinal Signs are Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn.

When Mars is retrograde, everyone's thought patterns are more introspective and we tend to think about ways of acting on issues and concerns which relate to the sign involved. With Mars retrograde in Cancer, people with Sun or Moon in Cancer, or Cancer rising, will be especially prone to such introspection. There is little choice but to reconsider personal views and opinions about life, for it presents an opportunity to gain insight into unconscious motivations. Since Cancer is a Cardinal Sign, the other Cardinal Signs, Libra, Capricorn and Aries, will also feel the effects most keenly.

Mars retro in Cancer generates a confused emotional state, placing those most affected at the mercy of the environment. Enthusiasm and inspiration seem muted, as anxieties develop around family issues, urging you to protect all things that make for security, comfort and luxury. Because Mars in Cancer normally generates a bold, independent and fearless nature, during the retrograde phase when nature is turned upon its head we should restrain the urge to exercise undue or tyrannical authority over everything and everybody within the home. Sexual desire is activated and sexual action intensified with passion is often associated with the urge to violence and control. Political leaders should also avoid becoming unduly concerned with homeland security and avoid imposing needless restrictions. This position makes the temper rather uncertain and there is a tendency for people to get restless, being inclined to change occupations.

Beware domestic troubles at home, frequent if not violent scenes and quarrels, child and spouse abuse, etc. It also indicates accidents by fire in the home due to carelessness or lack of past preparation. The danger from fire is further stimulated by the fact that Mars turns retro as he applies to the conjunction with the brilliant fixed star Sirius, the Dog Star, the brightest star in the night sky. Sirius is traditionally described as exhibiting the qualities of both Mars and Jupiter; among other things it awakens the jovian qualities of ambition, pride, fame, leadership, wealth and emotionality, but is also noted for the martial qualities of fires, drought, and danger through impetuosity. Although Mars does not turn in exact conjunction with Sirius, it happens well within the allowable orb. Sirius is located at a few minutes past 14° of Cancer, whilst Mars turns retro in the middle of the thirteenth degree, preventing the culmination of the aspect till next year. Mars will therefore not reach the partile (exact) conjunction with Sirius until April 9, 2008, after the New Moon in Aries (a Mars-ruled sign) so these characteristics are likely to be extended until Mars leaves Cancer on the 9th of May. Read more about the Fixed Stars.

I might add that indigestion from eating foods that are too spicy is a common problem, as Cancer rules the stomach and Mars rules all hot things, not just fires! While Mars is retrograde, everyone should be sure to drink adequate amounts of water (6-8 glasses daily) and a glass prior to mealtime. This will offset acid indigestion and reduce the tendency to overeat. Potassium iodide drops taken periodically will fight the liability to stomach infection from eating infected meats, chicken, eggs, etc. Mars rules acute and inflammatory infections, too.

Hope it helps.

GA

Barbaras Ahajusts

Ga!

Its about time you got here! I was reading and re reading all the info on the web about Mars rx and then I misspelled a word for Fudu! Then I was tickled pink when she linked this post to one I had started about Mars rx!

Thank goodness! The world can only take so much of this old gals mumbling on astrology! And lets face it, telling people to hide under their desk isn't a good way to teach or even learn about astrology! :laugh:

;)Barb

GoddessArtemis

Barbaras Ahajusts said:
Its about time you got here! I was reading and re reading all the info on the web about Mars rx and then I misspelled a word for Fudu! Then I was tickled pink when she linked this post to one I had started about Mars rx!

Thank goodness! The world can only take so much of this old gals mumbling on astrology! And lets face it, telling people to hide under their desk isn't a good way to teach or even learn about astrology! :laugh:
Hehe, Barb...I didn't even know this post existed--I just saw in my email that Mars went retro today (Nov. 15th where I am), so I came here. I give info where I can..but relating it to charts..well, that's another story! :p

Glad everyone is on board on this..though I must say, let's just ignore Mars rx and see what happens. I bet things will seem easier. However, we can blame Mars rx when we're having a rough day, eh? :D

GA

GoddessArtemis

Here's another tid-bit, shorter, and more to the point: (from tarot.com)

Assertive Mars turns retrograde on Nov. 15th, reminding us that progress cannot be rushed. We benefit from being patient and waiting to see where feelings lead, until Mars turns direct on January 30. However, red-hot Mars in watery Cancer can have us steaming mad, unless we consciously figure out how to constructively express our anger.

I've been steaming mad all day, over one thing or another. Hopefully, with moon going into Aquarius later tonight...I'll calm down a bit. Sheeeeeesh.

GA

GoddessArtemis

Last one--promise! :D

This is from the email I got sent to me, alerting me that Mars has gone rx today:

Does it seem more difficult than usual to find forward momentum? Do you feel like you are trying to move a mountain? Whether it is a cause that is close to your heart, a relationship or a project that you would like to advance, it's time to put on the brakes, slow down and make a U-turn, as Mars turns retrograde starting November 15.

Mars turns retrograde once every two years. And when it does, as with any retrograde period, it's time to review events already set in motion. Since Mars is going retrograde in the emotionally intense water sign Cancer, make sure you pay attention to your feelings, including instincts and hunches. Actions are now governed by your heart and gut, rather than by logic. If something doesn’t feel right to you, stop, review and make necessary corrections. Remember to pace yourself, since you will be in the review process until January 30 of next year! That’s plenty of time to prepare for putting plans into action once Mars turns direct.

GA