Mailing fragiles overseas

Grizabella

I have a question about mailing things overseas. Is it possible to mail something to another country marked as "fragile" and expect it will get there in one piece? If it's been packed extra carefully and well cushioned, plus marked fragile? If so, how cushioned does it have to be?

Sinduction

Wrap it in tons of bubble wrap and then surround it with packing paper, or newspaper so it doesn't move around. That's how I send but I don't ship overseas.

thorhammer

Boxes within boxes within boxes plus bubblewrap. "Fragile" just means "drop gently" :D

\m/ Kat

willowfox

Fragile in some post offices means kick this packet/ box.

I would packet the item in a box with bubble wrap or torn up newspaper, then place that box in a slightly bigger box and put torn up newspaper around the sides, that then acts like a cushion. The outside box may get damaged but the smaller one inside with the item will be okay.

Never put fragile on the packet, it an invitation.

Little Hare

I would disagree with what willowfox said, I've recieved plenty of packages from overseas with fragile on them and they have come in one piece! As others have mentioned, use bubble wrap and make sure its packed securely :D Also white light it in your mind... That always helps :D

Grizabella

My god! I just went and calculated shipping to a couple of places and it's about $30 to $40. And that's just for a deck to one of the places. :bugeyed:

Debra

Where? Jupiter?

eta: Seriously....the Post Office may have some options on less expensive mailing, so might be worth it to take the deck + box + a newspaper in to have them weighed and the cost calculated....before you go to the trouble to box it all up....

willowfox

Solitaire* said:
My god! I just went and calculated shipping to a couple of places and it's about $30 to $40. And that's just for a deck to one of the places. :bugeyed:

Go for priority mail for small things like decks, usually around $11 but this is fast.

Airmail first class, small packet is even cheaper but a little bit slower.

Aulruna

I've never heard about deliberate acts of vandalism in post offices.

However, judging from experience in Germany, part of the transport chain is fully automated, so that sticker or script means naught. And where things are manhandled, well, you should see the containers people send their stuff in... wrapped in newspapers (outside!), boxes that have a gazillion scraps from former destinations on them, product boxes and wine crates with photos on them, boxes covered in cutesy stickers...

So, postal workers tend to concentrate on the one important thing. The address label. So, just don't count on it they will handle anything different because of the fragile sticker. Take care of packing it as safely as possible.

willowfox

Aulruna said:
I've never heard about deliberate acts of vandalism in post offices.

I have met a few postal workers in my life and that is how I know about the deliberate damage done and the stealing of the mail. Sorting offices for damage and theft, some delivery men for just theft. Some countries the mail service is just horrible.