Herbs/Aromatherapy

huredriel

I am looking to get into making my own lotions & mixes with herbs & oils, shea butter etc ..... but have absolutely no knowledge about this kind of stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions for websites, books that I can start with? I would especially love a recommendation for where I can buy some unrefined shea butter in the UK that's reputable. At the moment I get my oils from baldwins in the UK.

Mods, not sure if this belongs here or in chat, so please move if appropriate :)

Many thanks
x Huredriel

Waterfaery

I just posted a whole list of books under the thread about an Herbal Encyclopedia. AzureGreen is based in Massachusettes, but they ship all over and it's a good place to get everything you'll need from books to supplies. They also have a wholesale club if you plan to buy in bulk.

Hope that helps!

Waterfaery

Thanks for the link! Attached it to my browser. For the oils, I have three books that have served me well that I would recommend to anyone. Golden Secrets of Mystic Oils by Anna Riva is more of list with basic info on every oil out there. The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy by Valerie Ann Worwood is an encyclopedia of info and recipes. Flower Essences: An Illustrated Guide by Carol Rudd is a good one for learning how to make your own oils.

Briar Rose

Just please becareful when using Bergamont. I put a few drops of the essential oil in my bath water and it gave me huge welts all over! I had to go straight to the dr.'s and they gave me cream and it took about 3 days to clear.

It looked worse than chicken pocks, but thankfully didn't leave scars.

Waterfaery

HeavensVault said:
Just please becareful when using Bergamont. I put a few drops of the essential oil in my bath water and it gave me huge welts all over! I had to go straight to the dr.'s and they gave me cream and it took about 3 days to clear.

Sorry to hear that HV :( Are you allergic to it?

thorhammer

HeavensVault said:

Ouch! That sounds really unpleasant, HV!

Yeah, you have to be careful with a few of the citrus oils. I know that lime and lemon are both notorious for reactions, if not exactly allergies. More a sensitivity. They have to be used a carrier oil like sweet almond or light olive.

Ooh, my skin's still smarting from reading that! :O

\m/ Kat

mingbop

go to Akua at sheabutter cottage for the purest unrefined shea.For e/o go to
shop4essentialoils.com -and she has a lot of info on there about what to use and what not to.

Grigori

huredriel said:
I am looking to get into making my own lotions & mixes with herbs & oils, shea butter etc .....

oooh fun! I have been making my own aromatherapy concoctions of late, and am having a great time. I'd advise to just make very small batches and try before you commit to making a whole bottle worth (Cause a lot of my first efforts, were a bit dodgy :| ). The best part is you can make what you want, and if you want something different, you can make it different every day.

As a general rule, use 1 drop of essential oil, to 2mL/gm or base substance (e.g. shea butter).

Mixing oils is fairly easy really, and you quickly learn what you like and what your special favorites are (for me, Sandalwood, Bergamot, Lime, Patchouli! YUM)
To start out, its good to work with only a small number of oils in each blend. Ideally 3. That makes it easy to make a nice blend.

Its usually good to pick:
1) a wood (so this is usually your base note, something like Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Rosewood, Frankincense, etc..)
2) Then pick a herb or flower (usually a middle note, Patchouli, Lavender, Basil, Chamomile, Clary Sage, Geranium, Rose, etc.) and then
3) a Citrus (so a top note, makes is sweet and bright, and softens harsh wood and florals. Grapefruit, Orange, Lemon etc..)
If your blend is not quite right, try adding an extra drop of the top note, that often sorts it out. Though generally speaking you'll want most of your oils to be from middle notes, with a lesser amount of top and base. My list above is not 100% correct, as some of the florals are bases and some of the woods are middles etc.. but you won't go to far off if you just work that way to begin with.

What sort of oils are you wanting to use. Are you selecting for their effects on the skin, or more spiritual reasons. If you wanting to smell good to pick up a man or two ;), may I suggest Sandalwood, a little bit of YlangYlang, Neroli and Lime. })

willowfox

Have a look at this one;

The Essential Oils Book, Creating Your Own Personal Blends by Colleen Dodt