What I found

morticia monroe

One of you asked me to post what I found when I went digging for crystals last weekend, so I took some photos.
I have to say it was the most fun I can remember having in a long time! You cannot go down into the actual mines, as they are running the bulldozers down there and it is too dangerous. But when the dozers are looking for the large deposits, they scoop up tons of dirt and clay and deposit it up top. There are giant hills of dirt, and you just sift through them. I found after awhile that the best crystals were in the chunks of wet clay that you uncover. I used a three pronged garden fork to sift with, and when I found clay, I just kind of rubbed some away and if I felt something smooth and glassy, I knew it was a crystal, and left the clay on it so it would not break on the ride home.
After arriving home, I hosed off the clay, finding some beautiful crystals, and also finding some ugly old sandstone rocks. LOL. After you get off all the dirt you can with the hose, I carefully scrubbed the clay out of the crevices with a toothbrush, and then soaked them in oxalic acid for a day. I am pleased with them, but wish I could have stayed longer. Unfortunately, I took my son and one of his friends with me, and after about three hours they began to drive me crazy with the "How much Longer?"s,,,,,so next time, I'll go alone and stay all day. All in all, i ended up with about a dozen really nice clusters, one large wand, one giant geode, and tons of smaller, imperfect wands and tips.
I swear if I could, I'd sell everything I have and move to Hot Springs, buy some land, and dig every day...It was so peaceful, enjoyable, and fun. And Mother Nature never fails to blow me away with her beauty and strength.

BTW, I also posted a few pics of a few deck bags I've made on page 2. I think I'm going to make a few and raffle them off because I LOVE the raffles, don't you?

http://groups.msn.com/aeclecticstuff/shoebox.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/aeclecticstuff/shoebox.msnw?Page=2

Click on the photos to enlarge.

wumpkie

one word: WOW! :D

memries

I cannot express in words my delight for you that you were able find those wonderful crystals. I would live there too ! Good for you.
Your bags are lovely as well.
I tried to join Aeclecticstuff@MSN.com but not much happened. I joined as Memries.
Thanks for supplying this address indirectly.

No wonder you are thrilled with your trip !

Waterfaery

I can't believe you were able to find those beautiful pieces just out in the dirt! Those are amazing!

aaquwaa

Those crystals are awesome. I have got to go now. Will be back in Arkansas in a month for a visit. I know you posted a lot of the sights. Is it ok to ask which one you found these beauties at? Would love to go find some for Christmas presents. Did you make it to the diamond mines? Any luck? :)
Glad you found all those.
Aaquwaa

morticia monroe

Aaquwaa,

I went to the Coleman crystal mine. Here is the link. With all the information.

http://www.jimcolemancrystals.com/mininginfo.htm

The caretaker's name is John, and he was super nice, he shows you where best to dig, and helps you at first to identify crystals fron plain old rock. But it isn't difficult.

There is ANOTHER Coleman's crystal mine, where I was told the cost is $20 instead of ten, but that they were finding nicer pieces. But I really love the ones I found, they are much prettier than the photos show. But if you want to try that one, follow the directions on this site, but as soon as you get to the Coleman rock shop, turn left instead of going the extra quarter mile down the highway.

The websites say they are open all the time, but I still called two days before just to be sure.

Also, I recommend that you bring some gardening gloves, otherwise you'll end up with blisters and small cuts on your hands.

And do be aware that these mines are down (and up) some funky, rough, mountain dirt roads. John said people bring all kinds of vehicles up there, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

I'm hooked, and have intentions of going back in November. There are some folks on this site that I'd really love to send crystals to. Good luck and have a blast.

Oh and by the way, on the main street in Hot Springs (Hwy 7, across the street and down a ways from the Arlington hotel) they have a FANTASTIC metaphysical-type shop. No tarot decks or such, but BEAUTIFUL mortar and pestles, rocks, crystal balls, candles, silks, and items from all cultures that you will love. Check it out.

JonMAblaze

I got a little one. I can vouch for how beautiful they are.

Thanks, MM :love:

aaquwaa

Thanks Morticia for all the info. I am going to make it there one day. Hopefully soon. Thanks for all the tips.
Aaquwaa

Elnor

Those clusters are wonderful- how great to be able to find those yourself!

And the bags are beautiful... I especially like the brocade ones.

elnor

BodhiSeed

Beautiful crystals and beautiful bags MM!

Bodhran