Just learning tarot....

queenmil

Could use all the help I can get !!! LOL I just wantto learn everything I can. Can yall suggest good books that can help me ?

All Is One

I love the Tarot Dictionary by Janet O'Riley

Splungeman

This very website has good recommendations in the books section.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/

Great recommendations that have really helped me. Also, I would personally recommend that you check out any and every post started by the forum member Umbrae as well as the responses to his posts. You'll learn a lot in a very short time.

Cheers!

sleepingcat

practice practice practice!

Keep your cards on you and just go though them :3 They are their own flashcards.

Jewel

queenmil said:
Could use all the help I can get !!! LOL I just wantto learn everything I can. Can yall suggest good books that can help me ?
If book recommendations is what you are asking for, then I would recommend 21 Ways to Read A Tarot Card by Mary K. Greer. There is also a study group here on Aeclectic on this workbook. Though several of us have completed the Apprentice Steps and moved onto the Adept Level, we continually check into the Apprentice Levels to encourage and when requested assist new members in the gourp.

coyoteblack

Jewel already recommended a good book but also 78 degrees of wisdom rachel pollack and tarot for your self ,Mary Greer and tarot for a new generation, Janie Renae( i never spell her name correct) are excellent books .

Sulis

Practice, practice, practice.

Read for as many people as you can, as often as you can.

Pull a card a day and write down your thoughts about it. I find this works best if you pull a card at the end of the day and ask something like 'what has today taught me?'
This will help you to see what the cards mean to YOU.

A book I recommend to beginners is Teresa Michelsen's 'Complete Tarot Reader': http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Taro...710382-5094449?ie=UTF8&qid=1191607854&sr=11-1
This book tells you how to read, it doesn't give you lists of keywords to memorize or lists of card meanings to memorize. Instead it tells you how to actually read the cards yourself.

Give yourself time.
Learning to read tarot is like learning to speak another language, it's a slow process so don't expect too much too soon.
It was a good few years before I felt confident enough to say that I could actually read the cards without having to check in a book every now and then.

Have fun - you're at the start of a wonderful journey :)

Sado

Practice, practice, practice.

Read for as many people as you can, as often as you can.

This is the method I used. Just explain to people you're new to it and that you might have to look up meanings in the book. This is actually fun to do, since you're sharing your learning experience with someone else. This creates a memorable atmosphere. You'll learn the cards AND will be able to relate them to actual events. It works! :)

Grizabella

The best single information resource among the members here is Thirteen, in my opinion. If you're a subscriber, you can print out an eBook by Thirteen that's just excellent. If you're not a subscriber, you can still access his information by going to the top right of the page and clicking where it says "learn".

Other than that, just spending time here reading posts by all our members is a fantastic learning resource. This forum is better than a whole library of tarot books. :D Every single member here can give invaluable insight into the cards and reading with them, from the newest member to the "oldies but goodies".

moon_shadow

Hi, queenmil. I am also a beginner and I don't have many books. But here are what I can recommend.

"Tarot for a New Generation" by Janina Renee.
"The Complete Illustrated Guide to Tarot" by Rachel Pollack.

I found them very easy to understand and have been learning a lot from them :)