Crocheted Tarot Bags

thorhammer

Or knitted. I have some lovely recycled yarn that I've been saving for just the right project and would love to make some up to store against a rainy day . . . if anyone has patterns and would like to share, please put them up! I'd love to get my teeth into them, but don't want to spend days fiddling with designing my own - time is so precious! Please . . .?

Thankyou! \m/ Kat

a_shikhs

I recently learned crochet from my grandma and made 4 bags for my decks according to the back of the cards.

Attachments

• crochet bags.JPG
    crochet bags.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 181

thorhammer

Very nice, a_shikhs, especially the green one! So it's easy to just sit down and experiment? I get frustrated easily, see . .. :}

\m/ Kat

Grizabella

I think it would just depend on whether you want tightly crocheted (single crochet) or more loosely done (double crochet) and then just start working. You could make them as one long piece and then fold and sew up the sides. At the two ends you'd probably want to make a space for threading a ribbon or a crocheted drawstring by doing at least one row of double crochet. To make drawstrings, measure and then make a chain and do one or two rows of crochet in the chain.

Variegated thread or yarn would make an interesting pattern of its own throughout the bag. That would save having to end off with different colors.

You could use thread and do a filet crochet bag. You could make a pattern on graph paper if you wanted to get fancy. To make it even fancier, you could make a lining out of satin or some other fabric in a solid color.

Here's a cute bag pattern I thought might work for a tarot bag:

http://www.nancyhearne.com/drawingboard/heartsgiftbag.htm

It's a little complicated, but I think it's cute as can be.

And here are a couple, too. The third one down and the fifth one down:

http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/crobagformanpur.html

thorhammer

Thankyou, Solitaire*! That's just what I meant, but I think I might have overestimated my own ability.

That's the understatement of the century, actually. Reading knitting/crocheting patterns is to me like reading Japanese - a major effort of translation. Bad translation . . . you know those little instruction booklets that come with cheap toys and such . . . yeah. Like that.

I have just started one, am three rows in :D. I'll let y'all know how I go *gulp*

\m/ Kat

Grizabella

I know how intimidating the patterns can be, but that's because you're trying to read them like you'd read this sentence. The trick is to take it very slowly. Just do it step by step, stitch by stitch, baby steps, as you go along the row. Don't try to read a whole row and then do it. Just read it and perform it stitch by stitch. :)

WolfSpirit

I will really have to get hold of a digital camera and show some of my bags - I made a lot of bags with granny squares. To get it more the right shape for a tarot deck I added rows on one side. It makes a strong bag, and to make extra strong bags for decks that don't have a box, I add cotton lining.
With this kind of pattern you also automatically have holes to pull the drawstring through.
It is easy to mix lots of different colours so I can still make a bag fitting for one particular deck with the same easy pattern through my choice of colours.

I really love that heart-shaped bag Solitaire posted.
I agree about reading patterns, my gran was a grandmaster in crocheting but she could never read them, she looked at the charts and made it all after those. But yes, reading as you go along will sometimes help.
Good luck Kat, let us know how it goes :)

A site with granny squares: http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/grannies.html

thorhammer

Loud grunts and grumbles and the odd expletive can be heard from Kat's lounge room. Goblin knitting (see http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1219155#post1219155 ). Brandi the cat keeps trying to "help" and Kat has just made dinner, which involved white (bechamel) sauce, which is one of the few things that she has never mastered in the kitchen. It's a day of supreme frustration, all the better to shore up her naturally indomitable spirit!

:) Kat

Sinduction

Where are the patterns for the knitters?

Crochet is just too hard, esp when everything I make is black. :D