Tinting the Reading for Self

Water Lady

Tilting the Reading for Self

I have found that when I read for myself - with a important question, one that I have a definite opinion about - I seem to get the reading I want, not necessary the 'right one' for me.
Mostly they are questions about "what should I do about....."
I have ask, because I had the feeling that what I wanted....was maybe not what I should be doing......having a terrible conflict regarding it.
I have had it checked out by others, decision has been important.
Their readings are all the same, dramatically different then mine.

I do seem to read well for others....Some are right on, others are a little fuzzy, but I'm a beginner.

So, now I am wondering about the daily card pull, the minor issues, etc.
Can I get value from any reading for myself?
How is it that I am able to pull cards that give me the reading I want?
Am I doing something wrong?

I have read here before from others that they can't read for themselves, Why not?

sleepingcat

Reading for yourself is very hard, think of the personal stake you have in what the cards say!

I get yelled at by my friends when they watch me read for myself. I tend to be very negative, and find the cards renforcing my pessemisim. "If that was for some one else, you'd have read that diffrently" They say, but all I can do is grumble back that if it *was* for someone else, then it *would* mean somthing else.

I know a lot of times if I'm not confident about the issue I'm reading for myself I tend to get a lot of gibberish, as if the cards are telling me "I;m not talking to you about this now". ><;

I guess it's just too easy to color your own readings, exsp when you read intutivly.

Open Arms

Most definitely!!
I do three cards draws every few days (past present future) just top get an idea of how things are, but if I have s sticky question I get someone else to read it for me.

I also read Intuitively and oh boy I can colour my readings!!!

There are plenty of good folk here who would read for you...

Water Lady

I also read Intuitively and oh boy I can colour my readings!!!

Glad I am not alone, Does anyone have a take on how it is happening?

I would like to "fix" it if I can. But unless I have a better idea of why it is happening I don't know how.

Cari

I find it hard to be as open minded when I read for myself. I look for answers that I want and it's not necessarly what the cards are telling me. Sometimes I end up more confused than when I started. If I do a general reading I usually get a clear answer, but when I ask about a certain situation it's not so clear.

HearthCricket

I read for myself, a lot, and many times I get answers that are not what I want or more vague than I expected, and I have to sit a while, looking over the whole reading, again, asking myself what the cards are trying to tell me. I think it is important to try to go into it as objectively as you can and be willing to accept a meaning even if it isn't what you wanted. Each card has lots of meanings to it. It can be easy to pick out the one that most applies to the question or answer that you may be hoping for, but you need to look at all the various meanings and apply them, too, and see where the reading then leads to. Maybe you need to change the deck you are using, as well. I find some decks have a tendency to speak more "sweetly" to me and soften the answers, whereas I really want truth, no matter what. It is fun when I do a reading for myself and it gets challenging. I end up having to do some serious soul searching.

I think this is why it is a really good idea to have others read for you, on occasion, as well as going to professionals at stores, etc. for a reading. It is amazing to see what others draw out from a reading in comparison to you. Look at what comes up and see how they perceive it, and ask yourself how you would have translated it. Does your reading still favour your hoped answer or are you now looking at things with new eyes! :)

le fey

On the other hand, the lack of total objectivity when reading for yourself has its own value too, as long as you're open to the awareness that you are being subjective.

Just using the cards to really 'hear' where your resistances and self-criticisms and denials are can draw them out into the open where you can see them for what they are.

LaJea

I have found out that if I'm really scared something is going to happen I'm going to pull out the cards that show me the worst possible situation. If I want the best I pull out the best cards. In conclusion I guess you could say that Tarot is a mirror. Only when I really concentrate myself and try to be as objective as possible I notice it goes exceptionally well.

SharonS

Nan said:
How is it that I am able to pull cards that give me the reading I want?
Am I doing something wrong?

I have read here before from others that they can't read for themselves, Why not?

Personally, I have never read for myself...I know that probably sounds odd, but I haven't because I always thought it wouldn't do any good. I was afraid of the same thing that you're talking about..."what if I just make it mean what I want anyways without even realizing it, what good would it do then?"

I would think that it would be extremely easy to put your own meaning to the cards, the meanings that you want,without even knowing it. Nobody ever wants to have a bad reading for themselves so you always say..."well it COULD mean this." Readings for yourself, I would think even when being careful, tend to turn out out biased to your side. Just my opinion:)

~SharonS

le fey

Unless you're strictly applying keywords to the cards, how do you *not* put your own meaning into the cards, though?

I'm wondering if it matters what sort of reading you're attempting to do... I can see a divinatory reading turning into a sort of wish/fear fullfillment, but I don't do too much of that anyway.

For exploring issues, though... why is this happening, what do I need to pay attention to, what am I missing?.... I think it's totally helpful to note how your subconscious 'puts meaning' into the cards in front of you. In that way, the card draws that buried stuff out to the surface so you can start dealing with it.

So, half way in the middle of a reading about "which of these paths should I take?" you realize that you're mentally attempting to stack the deck in favor of one answer rather than the other - isn't that valuable? You didn't know which way you wanted to go... now you realize that you do actually have a preference. Question answered, no?

Per 'confusion' in readings for myself, I tend to see that as a marker of where I have failed to fully see the possibilities involved. When we can't figure out how a card works in a particular position, it's likely because we just haven't opened ourselves to see the connection, can't face or believe that that might be the answer. Those confusions, for me, are where the denials are, so they're really important to look at rather than just deciding the reading didn't work, somehow.