PDA

View Full Version : Is it glass or clear quartz...

Bluecat
16-10-2007, 22:55
I bought a beautiful clear glass quartz a few days ago - a 6 sided needle which is totally clear apart from near the end where there some are faults running through it - I brought it home and proudly showed it to the BF who said 'nah - that's glass'....

Is there an easy way of telling the two apart without damaging my 'crystal'? I was sold this as clear quartz and will be a bit miffed if it is glass - however, it is still beautiful and will be loved if it is glass!

floracove
16-10-2007, 23:08
Hi Bluecat,

If you go to the cupboard and pick up a glass, and hold it, feel it.
Set it down.

Go pick up your 6 sided needle.
Hold it.
Feel it.

Do they feel the same to you?

man-made Glass and Crystal/stone rock, vibrate differently.
Glass is rock no doubt and does resignate to its own field.
Natural stones/gemstones/crystals each do as well and much strongly so.

If your 6 sided needle feels like glass, then it is glass.
If it feels, and if it is crystal, it will feel.

Sit with it for awhile, both of them even.
You will know what your 6 sided needle is.

:)

sleepingcat
16-10-2007, 23:15
Well, the internet informs me Quartz conducts electricity and glass insulates.

I dont know how everyone feels about running a current though a battery, but with a little wire, a small christmas light bulb or LED, and a dab of electrial tape you could quickly form a simple circuit.

If the light goes in, it's quartz. if the light doesnt come on, it's glass.

Hopefully someone else has a slightly less Julius Sumpter Miller method of figuring out the diffrence?

Gooneybird
16-10-2007, 23:19
I bought a beautiful clear glass quartz a few days ago - a 6 sided needle which is totally clear apart from near the end where there some are faults running through it - I brought it home and proudly showed it to the BF who said 'nah - that's glass'....

Is there an easy way of telling the two apart without damaging my 'crystal'? I was sold this as clear quartz and will be a bit miffed if it is glass - however, it is still beautiful and will be loved if it is glass!
If there are "faults" (they're called "inclusions" in minerals), I would be inclined to say its real mineral. To be more sure, if you can scratch a piece of glass with it, its very likely quartz, as the mineral is usually harder than glass. Regarding damage: if it is quartz, the glass won't damage it, but it will mark on the glass. (but still be careful with the scratching- use an inconspicuous part of the crystal if you decide to try it).

willowfox
16-10-2007, 23:22
Take a magnifying glass and examine the insides of the crystal, if it has flaws, cloudiness in places then it is quartz. If the crystal is absolutely clear no flaws of any kind, then look for tiny bubbles because that will be glass.
When you examine the point of the crystal look at the facets, if some are uneven or slightly bigger than another facet, then the crystal is quartz. A glass wand will be absolutely perfect in shape, cut and clarity.

Elysianfaery
16-10-2007, 23:35
This is what I do...Quartz feels cool in your hand. If you have a crystal that you know is quartz, put in your palm and make a fist. See if your unknown crystal feels the same.

The imperfections are a huge tip too like people have said. If it's flawless and you didn't paid a pretty good chunk for it, it's probably glass.

Bluecat
16-10-2007, 23:57
Right - I've had a hold and it feels different to a glass - well, the glass didn't feel of anything and you can definately feel the vibration of the 'crystal' - quite a comforting one actually. I then attacked the glass with it and it definately scratched the glass.... I carefully looked at the faults in the bottom of it and it looks like there are impurities along some of the faults.

The only thing that puts doubt in my mind is the perfection of the facets at the top - they are all very even.... I don't have a magnifying glass but there are no cloudy bits in it and I can see no bubbles with my naked eye...

Here is a photo of it... It is 8cm tall, 4 cm wide which also makes me suspicious as it is those sizes exactly!

Is it possible that they have ground a piece of quartz or it could be some other crystal that is harder than glass I guess?

Bluecat
17-10-2007, 00:08
I keep looking at it and am now sure that it is a piece of lead crystal or similar....

BodhiSeed
17-10-2007, 00:30
Looks like quartz to me. :) Most glass pieces have small bubbles (like in carbonated drinks). The inclusion here seems like quartz. You have a polished piece of quartz rather than a natural quartz point, which is why it looks so "perfect."
Enjoy it!

Bodhran

Bluecat
17-10-2007, 00:34
Looks like quartz to me. :) Most glass pieces have small bubbles (like in carbonated drinks). The inclusion here seems like quartz. You have a polished piece of quartz rather than a natural quartz point, which is why it looks so "perfect."
Enjoy it!

Bodhran

Ooo - that makes me feel better! I didn't know that they did that...

BodhiSeed
17-10-2007, 00:41
Ooo - that makes me feel better! I didn't know that they did that...
Yes, just like they can take a piece of quartz and carve a heart, skull, etc. from it, they often carve quartz points as well. You've got a nice one, Bluecat!

Bodhran

faunabay
17-10-2007, 00:45
I just found this thread and had a look -- it sure looks like crystal to me! I live in the midwest not too far from Arkansas where there is a huge crystal mining area. I go down there once a year or so and dig my own.

But yeah, like bodhran said, it's probably been polished a bit and the end cut off so it sits straight but it sure looks real to me!! I think it's beautiful. :)

willowfox
17-10-2007, 01:41
What are you talking about the facet are all uneven, thats quartz. I said to check the facets at the top and yours are all different sizes. I can even see the flaws at the bottom from here. I have an amethyst quartz crystal standing on my desk that looks like yours but mine has lots of inclusions. Its real and so is yours.

Bluecat
17-10-2007, 01:46
No WF, they are all too even - too perfect but if it is polished then that it explains it....:)

Thanks everyone for your help - I can sleep better now knowing that I wasn't diddled by the shop!! I will now go hunting for a naturally grown clear needle...!

willowfox
17-10-2007, 01:54
No WF, they are all too even - too perfect but if it is polished then that it explains it....:)

Thanks everyone for your help - I can sleep better now knowing that I wasn't diddled by the shop!! I will now go hunting for a naturally grown clear needle...!

I don't think you understand what I am talking about, no lead glass crystal in the world has a tip like the one in the picture, the facets on your crystal are all shapes and sizes at the tip plus it has more facets than any glass one would have. The facets on your crystal are irregular.

Bluecat
17-10-2007, 01:57
Ahhh sorry, yes, I see what you mean WF (sorry, I'm having a brain fart day!). I'm now quite satisfied that it is quartz and polished thanks to everyone's input :D

Emily
17-10-2007, 02:42
I have a few quartz points too - they do cut and polish them but they are quartz. The inclusions in yours look really natural too. :)

Tarotphelia
17-10-2007, 13:17
As Elysianfaery hinted , quartz and glass will be different temperatures .

Put the suspect piece in a room with a something you know is glass and leave it there a while so it can adjust to the room temperature .

Go back later and touch the glass , then touch your suspect piece . If it is really quartz it will be much colder than the glass.

This is also a good way to tell if you have plastic rather than glass or stone .

Stone = cold
Glass = warmer
Plastic = warmest

It looks like quartz to me, but they can do a really good fake with inclusions now, even and some of the resins can seem like quartz , so the temperature test should figure it out for you .

MCsea
17-10-2007, 18:31
NICE CRYSTAL!

love it - I hope it keeps working with you in a positive way

THANK YOU for the pic

MARINA

Bluecat
17-10-2007, 18:43
DI - yep, colder than glass! Thanks for the tips everyone - hopefully it has helped a few of us beginners!! :D

Gooneybird
18-10-2007, 03:19
Glad you've figured its composition out. Its a beautiful crystal!