PDA

View Full Version : Larger avatars, please!

HearthCricket
23-10-2007, 12:11
I would like to vote for larger avatars on this forum. 40x40 and at such a small kb is so hard to find or create, and when we do, much of the artwork is lost and it makes it harder to appreciate what each member is trying to depict as a portrayal of themselves or something that interests them. Most forums have the ability to turn off avatars, if someone has dial up and is worried about that factor of it. I think we should try it at 60x60, then if that goes well...90x90 or 100x100. There is certainly the space on each post for a larger one. Anyone else for larger avatars, but remaining with the non animated kind? :)

WolfyJames
23-10-2007, 12:20
I do prefer larger avatars. I agree it's very hard to shrink anything at 40X40 and still make sense of the images.

6 Haunted Days
23-10-2007, 12:29
I was just complainng about this. You can't get any kind of quality images with 40x40...way too tiny. You can barely make out the picture.

Most other forums have much larger avatars, I am assuming there is a reason behind the tiny ones here? Avatars that move would be great too! I have tons of grand ones from being on livejournal so many years (like many moving clips from the movie Nosferatu, how cool is that?!) but of no use to me here. 100x100 s the perfect size and I think plenty of space on the post for it.

morticia monroe
23-10-2007, 12:31
I concur most wholeheartedly. :) Itty bitty avatars are too hard to find, and I'm not computer-literate enough to shrink others.

6 Haunted Days
23-10-2007, 12:40
I concur most wholeheartedly. :) Itty bitty avatars are too hard to find, and I'm not computer-literate enough to shrink others.

I'm pretty bad in that department too, but this site http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/ is a 1 2 easy peesy! Very simple, and made any size you want.

tabi
23-10-2007, 12:51
I've been on site where all there is is avatar after avatars nothing else and some of them fricking HUGE! I wouldn't mind it if it stayed over in that purple section of the post but not in the post itself because I've seen it get way out of hand!

I would say that my biggest problem is the size of the file you can upload to the forum...which is why I tend to use an off site photo page instead of attaching files.

Chronata
23-10-2007, 15:33
I think a slightly larger avatar would be awesome as well, but I bet it has something to do with needing extra bandwith...knowing just how many members there are here!

But a slightly larger one would be another appealing draw for being a subsciber!

FantasyWorld
23-10-2007, 21:00
I'm pretty bad in that department too, but this site http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/ is a 1 2 easy peesy! Very simple, and made any size you want.

Oh, I LOVE this site! THanks sooo much for posting....

Vote for Larger

gregory
23-10-2007, 21:19
That site is great. :D

I do think larger avatars would create a bandwidth issue (remember last year (?) when this place was down for DAYS ????) - that was also one reason why we were told no animated ones..... And as for attachments - likewise - that's why it is such a good idea to use a photo site and links for anything more than a small clip.

Vote for status quo in the interests of keeping the site running..... (and yes, I've been to those awful places where there are pages of giant avatars and you can't find the posts....!)

Sulis
23-10-2007, 21:50
The small avatars don't bother me at all but I wouldn't mind if they were a little bit bigger.

What I really say NO to is moving animated avatars...
They distract me and I think they just look gawdy and tacky. I've been on many forums and all you can see is huge flashing avatars.
I prefer to be able to read a post without getting a headache because of the strobe effect in corner of my eye from the avatar flashing on and off.

I think that the problem is that large avatars use up bandwidth which is far better used up on posts and members.

Bluecat
23-10-2007, 22:49
Thanks for the link 6HD - I tried for ages to get my photo smaller but to no avail - now I have - thank you!! And yep, I'm up for slightly bigger avatars too. Another art site I belong to offers them to subscribers only.... :)

HearthCricket
24-10-2007, 00:41
The small avatars don't bother me at all but I wouldn't mind if they were a little bit bigger.

What I really say NO to is moving animated avatars...
They distract me and I think they just look gawdy and tacky. I've been on many forums and all you can see is huge flashing avatars.
I prefer to be able to read a post without getting a headache because of the strobe effect in corner of my eye from the avatar flashing on and off.

I think that the problem is that large avatars use up bandwidth which is far better used up on posts and members.

I agree...no moving avatars. They get so tacky looking, anyhow. This is why I suggest bumping it up to a 60x60 and seeing how the system takes it. Even that is a great improvement. I have been on a lot of forums for various subjects, but this one has the smallest size avatars and I think even something a little larger would be a nice enhancement. And yes, keep them on the side where they are now. Not in the actual post or start allowing banners or any of that stuff.

Crossing fingers....

lunakasha
24-10-2007, 00:55
I would also appreciate larger avatars.....40x40 is way too small.

I would be happy with slightly larger, non-animated....say 60x60 or maybe even 75x75, if at all possible.

I also agree that we not include any of those huge banners that I've seen on some forums, they take up way too much space.

:) Luna

6 Haunted Days
24-10-2007, 00:56
Yes I agree, most of the moving avatars are very annoying (like cats dancing or flashing lights) though many are cool. The ones I have are all snippits from silent movies, very neato. But you can't count on people to have good taste and not have tacky and very obtrusive ones.

blackroseivy
24-10-2007, 00:59
DEFINITELY would like a somewhat larger one - I find myself often wondering what the heck the pic is of in some! & mine would look SO much better larger! :D

...100x100, perhaps? Though 75x75 will do...

blackroseivy
24-10-2007, 01:01
OH & I concur - MOVING = BADBADBAD!! :P

le fey
24-10-2007, 01:20
Just to be different - I like the little avatars. They offer a little taste of who the person is without taking up all the space. I've left boards because of the huge amount of space devoted to the avatar images, and it seems to be in direct opposition to the worth of the words.

The focus here is on the richness of the conversations, not big neon signs to the side. We can develop our impressions based on what the person has to say, rather than what picture they chose for themselves. And that, I think, is as it should be.

(If it does change, just please please please make sure we have the ability to turn them off altogether. We probably do now, but they are unobtrusive enough that I've never felt the need to find out. For me, that's a first - usually it's the first thing I click off.)

Satori
24-10-2007, 01:29
I agree, a slightly larger avatar would be nice. Not that we need to be like other forums, because I for one like being a bit different, but it is nice to see the artwork some folks work so hard to create.

Baroli
24-10-2007, 01:36
Well, you wouldn't want one too big. Either 50 x 50 or 60x 60 would be nice. Anything larger than that would be IMO just too large. As far as the animated avatars go,...I can take them or leave them, some are very funny, but most can be rude. So I think that moving avatars might not be a good idea here, (unless dealing a tarot deck }) ).

6 Haunted Days
24-10-2007, 04:21
Just to be different - I like the little avatars. They offer a little taste of who the person is without taking up all the space. I've left boards because of the huge amount of space devoted to the avatar images, and it seems to be in direct opposition to the worth of the words.

The focus here is on the richness of the conversations, not big neon signs to the side. We can develop our impressions based on what the person has to say, rather than what picture they chose for themselves. And that, I think, is as it should be.

(If it does change, just please please please make sure we have the ability to turn them off altogether. We probably do now, but they are unobtrusive enough that I've never felt the need to find out. For me, that's a first - usually it's the first thing I click off.)

I don't know, we are all here for our love of Tarot and related subjects and those are based on images, no? We adore our images! So I see nothing wrong with wanting something a little larger so the art chosen can be seen properly.

I don't think anyome is suggesting huge banners and gigantic graphics, just a larger square photo is all....

As an example here is a photo I would love to use but as 40x40 it's too small and then gradually going bigger from 40x40-60x60-80x80-100x100. They're not huge and obtrusive whatsoever. I thought actually seeing the visuals and sizes would illustrate it better.

FantasyWorld
24-10-2007, 04:25
I don't know, we are all here for our love of Tarot and related subjects and those are based on images, no? We adore our images! So I see nothing wrong with wanting something a little larger so the art chosen can be seen properly.

I don't think anyome is suggesting huge banners and gigantic graphics, just a larger square photo is all....

As an example here is a photo I would love to use but as 40x40 it's too small and then gradually going bigger from 40x40-60x60-80x80-100x100. They're not huge and obtrusive whatsoever. I thought actually seeing the visuals and sizes would illustrate it better.

Love the pic!
The 60 would be just about right as an avatar...the 40 is very small and hard to see.

lunakasha
24-10-2007, 04:33
I love it too....of course, now I am thinking maybe 60 would still be too small, LOL!!! The 80-100 size pics are REALLY nice....but in the 40x40 size you can't really tell what it is supposed to be. I have had the same problem, trying to shrink something down to that size, and then rejecting it. :(

I hope this is something we can try....I am anxious to hear from Solandia.

:) Luna

WolfyJames
24-10-2007, 04:58
Shrinking images is not enough to make an avatar. You need a tool like Paint Shop Pro to cut the part you want and shrink it because it comes out bigger than if you shrink the whole image, especially when you have to make such small avatars. In order to make an avatar that is visible at 40X40 you really need the tools for that which I doubt anyone would want to pay for Paint Shop Pro just to be able to do that. I have Paint Shop Pro, a gift from my mother, but most do not have it.

I've decided to make an exemple with the images. The first image is like the 40X40 image 6 Haunted Days made with the whole picture and the second image is a cut version where I focus on the woman and I cutted her out of the rest of the picture, using Paint Shop Pro. She does come out better at 40X40 than the first one. Having bigger avatars would make everyone life's easier in term of making avatars that are clear and visible.

Aulruna
24-10-2007, 05:31
You don't need to have Paint Shop Pro (though it is a great program, I love it); good old Paint (comes with Windows) can also be helpful. Just use the select tool and copy out a part of the image.

I still like using PSP of course, because you can sharpen your image and control contrast and brightness etc. But if you happen to have a digicam, most photo softwares are pretty sophisticated, too.

After creating 30 avatars the other day while browsing Halloween pics, I'd also vote for a bigger one - 40x40 is really tiny!

gregory
24-10-2007, 06:29
I wouldn't be happy with anything more than 60x60 - and am quite happy with what we have.....

Amazing though it may seem - I come here for the POSTS. We can always put a large one in our profiles (I have :D)

Satori
24-10-2007, 06:34
ah gregory, I think it is about choice. If the upgrade of size happens, then some of us could still stay at the current size, but having the option to have a larger avatar is what we are discussing. I too am here for the posts, and I also love the idea of having a tiny bit larger area to express my identity.

I don't belong to other forums and have no idea what they have or don't have. I've long hoped that avatar size would change.

le fey
24-10-2007, 06:38
I have moderated an active forum and even smallish differences in image size really add up to the load it puts on the database when large numbers of people are accessing it at the same time - a situation that I think applies here.

If there is the ability to put a larger version in the profile, those people who want to get a better look at your artwork can go look, but all those who aren't really paying attention to it aren't accessing the larger images everytime they load or reload a page.

To me, that really does leave it up to personal choice - you can share your artwork at a size large enough to see, and others can choose to view it. But meanwhile, the loading time for pages stays fast and we don't tax the system.

6 Haunted Days
24-10-2007, 06:40
Shrinking images is not enough to make an avatar. In order to make an avatar that is visible at 40X40 you really need the tools for that which I doubt anyone would want to pay for Paint Shop Pro just to be able to do that. I have Paint Shop Pro, a gift from my mother, but most do not have it.

It is for me! I don't wanna fiddle faddle with a pic just for an avatar, some people enjoy doing that I'm not one of them. If it's a bigger base size, shrinking usually works fine. My husband has PSP, but I've never used it.

I've decided to make an exemple with the images. The first image is like the 40X40 image 6 Haunted Days made with the whole picture and the second image is a cut version where I focus on the woman and I cutted her out of the rest of the picture, using Paint Shop Pro. She does come out better at 40X40 than the first one. Having bigger avatars would make everyone life's easier in term of making avatars that are clear and visible.

See it's still to small as just her face makes a bad picture, the surrounding stuff is what makes that painting. So even using PSP and fiddling with it, I stll woulsn't use it.

gregory
24-10-2007, 06:42
ah gregory, I think it is about choice. If the upgrade of size happens, then some of us could still stay at the current size, but having the option to have a larger avatar is what we are discussing. I too am here for the posts, and I also love the idea of having a tiny bit larger area to express my identity.

I don't belong to other forums and have no idea what they have or don't have. I've long hoped that avatar size would change.
I would FAR rather we had a forum that didn't crash when it ran out of space. This one has. Often.

ed. crossposted. Thanks, le fey. Precisely ! How much are we prepared to pay in subs to get wider bandwidth ? Solandia has already had to accept advertising as a compromise....

le pendu
24-10-2007, 06:45
I have moderated an active forum and even smallish differences in image size really add up to the load it puts on the database when large numbers of people are accessing it at the same time - a situation that I think applies here.

If there is the ability to put a larger version in the profile, those people who want to get a better look at your artwork can go look, but all those who aren't really paying attention to it aren't accessing the larger images everytime they load or reload a page.

To me, that really does leave it up to personal choice - you can share your artwork at a size large enough to see, and others can choose to view it. But meanwhile, the loading time for pages stays fast and we don't tax the system.

Great point.

I would love 80x80, but I also have my settings to see 40 posts a page, that's a lot of avatars that load each time I load a page. Hard on a server with lots of hits, and hard on those who still use dial-up (god forbid).

gregory
24-10-2007, 06:51
Great point.

I would love 80x80, but I also have my settings to see 40 posts a page, that's a lot of avatars that load each time I load a page. Hard on a server with lots of hits, and hard on those who still use dial-up (god forbid).
Geez, I never even thought of that; I am still on dial-up - and cannot get broadband here at all - and I am set to 50/page.....! OUCH.

6 Haunted Days
24-10-2007, 06:57
I would FAR rather we had a forum that didn't crash when it ran out of space. This one has. Often.

ed. crossposted. Thanks, le fey. Precisely ! How much are we prepared to pay in subs to get wider bandwidth ? Solandia has already had to accept advertising as a compromise....

See this what I'm saying, obviously if it's going to crash or cause issues then no. But I have no idea what the system can handle. I think HC started the thread just to see if/what was possible.

gregory
24-10-2007, 07:02
If you all recall, earlier this year the bandwidth issue was raised in spades and I THINK we were actually asked to go easy on attachments - which are way larger than avatars... Certainly new members weren't even allowed in for quite a while, and that too, I think, had something to do with bandwidth as well as with Solandia's schedule ? (mods, can you help here ?)

And what REALLY takes up server space is searches etc - and those are really important.... they include new posts searches and so on....

I realise people were just asking - I am trying to answer things I actually can answer, here..... (I had e-mailed Solandia about something to do with this a lond time ago....)

Alta
24-10-2007, 07:03
We just went to a new server in June, which is why new members were held back all summer. If keeping the avatars small gives us some extra time on this server, so much the better.

As commented Solandia has already had to increase the advertising just to pay for the new server.

Marion

oops, gregory and I were posting at the same time. :D

gregory
24-10-2007, 07:08
Thanks Marion. I had asked Solandia a while back if deleting people who had never posted since the year dot would help, and she said not; it was US LOT and all our searching that are the problem.......... :D

And I would rather be able to search loads :D Remember the time we could only search once every 2 minutes ???? :eek: I only just did...

Bluecat
24-10-2007, 07:09
Oh no - no crashing!!! I'd much rather have small avatars and a faster running system than big ones and no chatting, gnawing my fingers because I can't log and and converse / learn / get new decks / make new friends etc etc....:(

HearthCricket
24-10-2007, 07:24
Well, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask about it and see if it would work. Like I said originally, I am not talking about animated ones, nor something like a 150x150! I think going from a 40x40 to a 60x60 would be an improvement, right there. A big one. Let's take a few pics, right now. I cannot read that pink "Gregory" on her avatar. It looks like Oregory. And forget the cat. Other than it is black and white and cat shaped, I haven't the slightest idea what it really looks like.

6 Haunted Days seems to have found a very funky and eery witch picture...I think. But if the hat was pointy on top, I can't tell, because she had to crop it off.

And so forth. People say they don't care about having an avatar, but notice how every single person does have one and has taken the time to create it? :) Apparently it is, at least, a little fun for everyone!

I keep hearing about bandwidth and expense. I have asked before how much more it would cost to expand, but I never get an answer. How much a month, or a year, to expand? If it means bumping the subscriptions up to 30.00 then I say no. Too many people can't afford it. But there is other options. Is it 100.00? 500.00? If so, maybe some of us who can afford it would be willing to pay the extra cost. I have seen people do this and receive the title of "Founder Member" or "Supporter Member" instead of just subscriber. Add another level. Give those members 2 little stars instead of one, next to their name. Voila! Bigger avatars, more bandwidth!

If it is in the thousands and computers will crash all over the place, then forget it. But I am still for creeping the size up, a little, and seeing how things go. I can give a little more. I am certain I am not alone. I also understand there are plenty who can't give more. So those of us who can donate more, added up, maybe could reach the numbers for more bandwidth.

6 Haunted Days
24-10-2007, 10:37
6 Haunted Days seems to have found a very funky and eery witch picture...I think. But if the hat was pointy on top, I can't tell, because she had to crop it off.

It's the front cover of Gregory Maguire's book "Wicked" (the hardcover 1st ed.) It's almost my favourite book cover ever. And yes I had to cut the hat off as well as lots more! (see picture I attached.)

Solandia
24-10-2007, 13:41
You know, I've had bigger avatars in mind as an extra benefit for subscribers since the upgrade has given us more bandwidth and resources to work with, so thanks for the suggestion, HearthCricket. :)

We'd definitely stick with non-animated graphics, but bigger dimensions and file size are feasible. I tried out a few sizes in Photoshop and I think a 60 x 60 maximum is a reasonable compromise between a graphic big enough to see, without being too distracting if you're reading the posts.

And while I don't want to go overboard in using up our new server's resources too quickly ;), I think larger avatars should have a minimal impact. They're usually cached in people's browsers (and so aren't downloaded every time a page loads) and there's relatively few of them.

~ Solandia

6 Haunted Days
24-10-2007, 13:56
You know, I've had bigger avatars in mind as an extra benefit for subscribers since the upgrade has given us more bandwidth and resources to work with, so thanks for the suggestion, HearthCricket. :)

We'd definitely stick with non-animated graphics, but bigger dimensions and file size are feasible. I tried out a few sizes in Photoshop and I think a 60 x 60 maximum is a reasonable compromise between a graphic big enough to see, without being too distracting if you're reading the posts.

And while I don't want to go overboard in using up our new server's resources too quickly ;), I think larger avatars should have a minimal impact. They're usually cached in people's browsers (and so aren't downloaded every time a page loads) and there's relatively few of them.

~ Solandia

Yay! Thanks so much Solandia! :) Exciting news. I thought the same thing about the images being cached in the browsers, but wasn't sure.

le pendu
24-10-2007, 14:08
Yay!!

Glad to know it won't be a problem for the server or for viewers with slow dialup.

FantasyWorld
24-10-2007, 20:14
Oh Boy:D

Thanks so much Solandia:angel:

Woohoo

FantasyWorld
24-10-2007, 20:27

Some of the pics I try to shrink show up all black.....can't figure out why?

gregory
24-10-2007, 20:27
Thanks Solandia - especially for the info about page loading.... !

It is good that members are actually listened to !

baba-prague
24-10-2007, 20:37

It's something that personally I'd really like - it's so difficult to do anything much with the current size of the avatars. It would be good fun to have just a bit more space to play with.

Thanks for considering it!

Bluecat
24-10-2007, 21:29
Weehee - thanks Solandia!!

Aulruna
24-10-2007, 21:39
Ooooh, this is great news :D

Thanks Solandia!!!

Alta
24-10-2007, 21:54
That is so nice to hear... that it is possible... that avatars are mostly cached and won't cause problems. Great!

tarot4fun
24-10-2007, 22:13
You know, I've had bigger avatars in mind as an extra benefit for subscribers since the upgrade has given us more bandwidth and resources to work with...That would be really nice ~ thank you so much Solandia~ :D

Suz :heart:

HearthCricket
24-10-2007, 23:15
OMG....I am so happy!!! Thank you! Let us know when it is available, please!! :D

Now, can someone explain the difference between being cached in a browser as opposed to downloading it? My photos are already on my computer, not from a site. Is that the good way of doing it or the bad way? If it is the bad way, can someone offer sites to do it the other way? Maybe if more us do the "right" way, we can help save on the new system! I think a lot of people, like me, don't know which way is better! Help! :)

thorhammer
24-10-2007, 23:18
Now, can someone explain the difference between being cached in a browser as opposed to downloading it?

Not being any kind of expert and being able to kill a computer from the next building, I think it means that your browser program (usually Internet Explorer) kind of "holds" the avatars in its memory (the Gods only know how!) instead of downloading them every time you bring up a new page.

I think.

And, Solandia, I'd love a bigger avatar! Then I can really go sick with the warrior-metal-mania! Woo hoo! Horns up!

\m/ Kat

6 Haunted Days
24-10-2007, 23:35
OMG....I am so happy!!! Thank you! Let us know when it is available, please!! :D

Now, can someone explain the difference between being cached in a browser as opposed to downloading it? My photos are already on my computer, not from a site. Is that the good way of doing it or the bad way? If it is the bad way, can someone offer sites to do it the other way? Maybe if more us do the "right" way, we can help save on the new system! I think a lot of people, like me, don't know which way is better! Help! :)

I am pretty sure your computer does it automatically. Have you ever noticed when you upload a page with tons of graphics it can take a bit longer, but you go back to that same site, it uploads almost instantly. It's not about your photo's or where you keep them but something the computer does.

Gooneybird
24-10-2007, 23:43
Yeah, that's about right. The caching is done automatically as the webpage loads and the "packets" of information that tell the browser how to structure the pages arrive at your computer and are deciphered by the browser. The image info is stored in temporary folders that are usually emptied either when you quit the browser or after a set period of time (usually several days).

HearthCricket
25-10-2007, 00:02
Okay. I have cable and wireless hookup so everything always just pops up for me...except for Tarot Garden. :( Those images seem to take forever and it gets depressing!

lunakasha
25-10-2007, 00:38
This is wonderful news....THANK YOU Solandia!!! :D

And thanks to (((HearthCricket))) for inquiring in the first place.....YAY!!!

:D Luna

Satori
25-10-2007, 05:10
Yeah Solandia!
You grant wishes with magic! (http://www.bellpineartfarm.com/images/mothergoddesscenter2.jpg)

AJ
25-10-2007, 08:26
Now we need a couple of magicians with nothing to do but make or resize our new avatars :-) I played with a couple of images I've been saving for a long time but they just look so DULL compared to something like Solandia's and Thirteen's.

Grizabella
25-10-2007, 08:47
Do we have to resize our own? Or does the forum do it automatically? I think I look bigger already, but then, I always think that when I see myself. :P

HearthCricket
25-10-2007, 09:09
Do we have to resize our own? Or does the forum do it automatically? I think I look bigger already, but then, I always think that when I see myself. :P

Not sure, but I am guessing we still do it on our own. Yours is still the smaller size...just right click and see properties. We are approaching end of month when the bandwidth is stretched to its limit, so it might be a while before we suddenly get 60x60's. That will be entirely up to Solandia when she has the time to set it up and when the best time to introduce it to the forum will be. In the meantime, we can always start browsing about and making some and saving them in our computers! :D

caridwen
25-10-2007, 09:16
This is most bodacious my friends:D Well done and I look forward to the announcement:)

missycab
26-10-2007, 23:45
Yipieeeee!!!!!! Larger avatars!!!!!!! COOOOOOOOL!!!!!!! (perfoms little dance)

lunafae
27-10-2007, 01:17
sounds good to me.

Pao
27-10-2007, 11:38
im so happy to hear this!!!! i would love bigger avatars!!!!! :D

Hemera
31-10-2007, 02:42
Great news! Canīt wait!!

Solandia
31-10-2007, 16:02
Larger avatars are go :)

I've set the new limit for subscribers to be 60 x 60 pixels, with a file size of 8KB. This won't change your existing avatars, it just allows for the uploading of larger images.

~ Solandia

Logiatrix
31-10-2007, 18:25
Oh, goody...now I can use one of my fave 'moon' avatars!
:D :thumbsup:
Very nifty...thank you, Solandia!
:love:

Bluecat
31-10-2007, 18:43
Excellent - my bluecat is now more recognisable - thank you!! :D

Aulruna
31-10-2007, 19:31
Love love love it - thanks Solandia!!

Silaria
01-11-2007, 00:22
Thank you, Solandia!

The rainbow in my unicorn's mane is more visible now! :)

HearthCricket
01-11-2007, 00:49
Thank you, so much, Solandia! What a wonderful Halloween/Samhain gift to us! I suspect we will all be making avatars today!! :D

caridwen
01-11-2007, 00:57
cool bananas:D

firemaiden
01-11-2007, 01:26
oh. I just figured out what happened. NEAT. Thank you Solandia :)

gregory
01-11-2007, 01:56
OK already. Whoever couldn't see my cat - there he is - but the writing has gone pearshaped....

tarot4fun
01-11-2007, 02:02
Thank you Solandia~ :D

These kisses (http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/Jopres/chocolatekisscookie-1.jpg) are for you~ :P

Suz :heart:

firefrost
01-11-2007, 02:11
Introducing Evie - our lovely Border Collie

Thank you Solandia :)

lunakasha
01-11-2007, 02:25
THANK YOU so much ((((Solandia))))

:love: Luna

Chronata
01-11-2007, 02:54
yay!!!
Solandia, you ROCK!

What an awesome thing~!

HearthCricket
01-11-2007, 03:22
OK already. Whoever couldn't see my cat - there he is - but the writing has gone pearshaped....

Yeah, but it says Gregory, now, and I can read it. I love the larger avatars. It is so much easier on the eyes. What an happy and fun improvement! The whole forum looks more colourful and exciting, I think! :)

Acacia
01-11-2007, 04:05
Oh hurray! Now I can use the avatar I've wanted for a while.

rachelcat
01-11-2007, 04:13
Oh hurray! Now I can use the avatar I've wanted for a while.

I have that for my screen saver! Guess I'm going to take a look at my avatar and see if I can post the whole card now!

6 Haunted Days
01-11-2007, 04:15
Thank you, so much, Solandia! What a wonderful Halloween/Samhain gift to us! I suspect we will all be making avatars today!! :D

Wheeee, yes I've made many! Can't decide what to use.

firefrost
01-11-2007, 04:52
By the way, 6HD, many thanks for posting the URL for the resizing site.

That's been a huge help!

rachelcat
01-11-2007, 04:52
I have that for my screen saver! Guess I'm going to take a look at my avatar and see if I can post the whole card now!

Well, not the WHOLE card, since the avatar is square . . .

What do you think? Is this better? Or should I just go for a larger face?

Oh, yes, thanks for the site. I used it. It works great!

zannamarie
01-11-2007, 07:05
Wheeee, yes I've made many! Can't decide what to use.lol, you're going to be something different everyday, huh? :)

I increased mine. I don't know if helps or not, lol. It's a videotherm (thermal image) of me. My glasses were cooler than my body so they show as a stripe across my head.

Thanks Solandia. We kids are enjoying our new toy. :)

gregory
01-11-2007, 21:25
Oh hurray! Now I can use the avatar I've wanted for a while.Soddit - I have had that at intervals in another forum for ages. OK - you do NOT get to sign up there.... :D

Bat Chicken
02-11-2007, 01:25
This is great - because this one wasn't doing too well small - now you can see what it is!

memries
02-11-2007, 01:58
I think I finally got the resizer thing to work. I tried yesterday with no luck.
Thanks to Solandia it will be nice and also to 6 Haunted Days for the website she passed on.

That is my son's cat King but I had one I loved very much named Ming years ago so to me it is sort of the same.

Emily
02-11-2007, 02:36
My avatar looks really different big - I might have to rework it - maybe change the colour. :)

Edit - That's better, the old one looked like there was blood coming from it, its amazing how different it looked bigger. :)

Aunia Kahn
02-11-2007, 05:16
I love the large avatar :) Thanks for the upgrade.

starrystarrynight
02-11-2007, 09:11
Thanks Solandia!

I reworked mine, but I think I need to juggle the sizes around to get it clearer...not today, though!

The crowned one
02-11-2007, 09:12
Yes, this new size is wonderful, some have managed to capture a spark of their personality within their new avatars due to the size change, and their popularity is obvious just look at all the new avatars appearing, They are a great change. Well Done!

franniee
02-11-2007, 09:34
yes thank you i love the new looks. :D

FaireMaiden
02-11-2007, 13:43
(the Maiden crawls out of her cave and whimpers to anyone who'll listen, *lol*) Criminy! I don't even know how to make an avatar, size an avatar, get an avatar, apply an avatar, or rework an avatar... sheesh!

If it hadn't been for the one's already available here when signing up, I wouldn't have one at all, :bugeyed::confused::bugeyed:

Edited To Add: Well, shiver me timbers!... Thanks to our beloved '6 Haunted Days', I went to the Avatar site she recommended, (http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/), and, voila!, I was able to make an avatar out of a picture I had, *vvvbs*

Oh, oh, oh!!! Thank You!!! :*:*:*

and Thank You!!! to our beloved Solandia as well for making it all possible!!! :*:*:*

HearthCricket
14-11-2007, 00:43
Just have to say another thank you to Solandia for listening to my request and the wishes of others for larger avatars. Everyone seems to be having lots of fun with them, making new ones, and it really allows people to express themselves more, I think. Thanks, again! :) ((()))

Solandia
14-11-2007, 11:12
You're welcome, HearthCricket. I'm enjoying seeing all the avatars in more detail too. :)

~ Solandia

HearthCricket
14-11-2007, 11:36
But you have to make yours bigger, too, Solandia, and join in the fun!! :)

All Is One
14-11-2007, 18:20
This is the best news I've had in a long time. I'll have to investigate this new chance to do something cool on AT...Thanks, Solandia!

firefrost
14-11-2007, 20:41
There are some quite amazing ones.

I particularly like AJ's and Star-Willow's.

AJ
15-11-2007, 01:08
Thank you firefrost, it is a long story how I got to 'open the door' :)

Yours makes me smile every time I see it, brings the memory of my beloved DukieDog. Gone 13 years now, but not forgotten.

firefrost
15-11-2007, 02:48
Thank you, AJ. This is Evie. She is a lovely pet with a brilliant personality and has qualified to show at Crufts for life.

This time next year, we hope we'll have pups...