Evacuation - which decks to take?

ReclusiveOne

The past week here in San Diego County has been pretty stressful - fires all around. While waiting for the evacuation orders - and gathering all those important possessions - I paused to ponder - do I have room for all my tarot decks?

What would have to be left if I took all my decks? Which 5 decks would I pack first and stash in the car?

I did narrow it down to five. And the fires did not reach us. We were lucky. But it still is an interesting question.

Which five decks would you save?

Riverstone

Which five did you narrow it down to?

Nevermore

Well. *I* would only take four.
*hmmphs in an "i'm better than you" tone*

But then again I have only four decks. Bwahahaha.
I'd probably grab old Thothy and dear VR.
Then I'd remember my second (first was lost/tossed by Mom) deck, the LS Manga and feel all nostalgic. And then I'd only have my Gothic Vargo left over and for completeness' sake I'd grab it too and use the art to justify things.
If I had more I don't know. I've been attached to each deck as I got it.

BodhiSeed

My tarot cards are all paired with an oracle deck, so I wouldn't leave one without it's partner :D:

1. Druidcraft Tarot / Druid Animal Oracle
2. Victorian Romantic Tarot / Victorian Flower Oracle
3. Tarot of Timeless Truth / Rune Cards (Linsell)
4. Osho Zen Tarot / Tao Oracle
5. Illuminated Tarot / Dreaming in Color

Bodhran

rwcarter

ReclusiveOne,

Ask a hard question, why don't you? :laugh:

I have 360 decks in my collection, including duplicates. If I could only take 5, which would they be? Mind you, next week my answer could be completely different, but for right now I'd have to say:
  • Navigators Tarot of the Mystic SEA cause I've been studying it for most of this year
  • Gothic Tarot by Vargo cause I'm starting to study it
  • Mythic Tarot cause it was my first tarot deck
  • Liber T cause it's OOP
  • Tarot of Dreams cause it's expensive to replace

Hmm, think I'm going to change my mind before the week's even up! That OOP angle might have to make me rethink that list:
  • Healing Earth
  • Servants of the Light
  • Norse Tarot
  • Ancient Egyptian Tarot
  • William Blake Tarot

Liber T doesn't make the second list cause it's still cheaper to replace than any of the ones I listed above.

Rodney

Pook

So heres what I'm wondering....if I have a really great briefcase-sized box with a handle, that holds easily a dozen or more decks in bags....is it cheating if I just grab the whole already-packed box and run? :D

If not...I guess I'm grabbin...

The Fey Tarot
Victorian Romantic
Frouds Faeries Oracle
my new Tarot of the Secret Forest (thanks Tabi!!)
and hmmm...for the purposes of replacing most of the rest of my collection later from the proceeds of an ebay sale...
my Alchemical (one can dream that the $2700 sale from a month or so ago wasnt a fluke, right?)
OH OH!! can a sneak a 6th? pleeeeease???
I'm not really sneaking..its already in my purse, which of course I am taking out with me....
My brand new Golden that I just got today and ripped open before i was even out of the store :p

Dwaas

Thoth
RWS Albano (the usgames version)
Marseille Fournier
Morgan Greer
Archeon

These decks for readability. I don't have really expensive decks so that would not be a consideration. Even the OOP decks I have show up with some regularity on ebay. Would anybody notice if I'd smuggle the Fey with me as well? :D

Rosanne

In July this year, the same emergency happened to me- not fire but storm and rain and lost house roof. I have a case with my twenty decks in and a case with all the rest. I threw the cases in the back of the car- the dogs under the house, the photo albums in the car, tarp over the computer table and stuff. Lost a lot of books- but insurance has replaced most that are in print. Now if I was not organised... what 5 would I have grabbed?
Visconti Gold
Medieval Scapini
Fantastic Menagerie
Osho Zen
Tarot of the Renaissance
A LeNormand is in my handbag pocket along with a mini TdM... and for Insurance Tarot Gardens contact details (my Tarot cards are listed as separate items like my Jewelery and books/Paintings/Cd's with Insurance). The thing about replacement Insurance is that if you lose an OOP deck- they can pay whatever to obtain one.That is why they are listed.Here decks are costly average at $45 per deck- just 200 decks is $9000. Worth Insuring eh?
~Rosanne

thorhammer

Universal Fantasy
1001 Nights
Hanson Roberts
Housewives
Runic

Gotta say it's not that hard for me at this stage. The only ones I'd be really upset about are the top two, and they're easily replaceable . . . perhaps with better cardstock in the case of the UF??? Hmmm, that might change things . . . :) But I'll leave it at that.

That's a hard question, though. And an awful thought!

\m/ Kat

fferyllt

I was just thinking about this same thing (though I was limiting myself to one deck :) ), after watching the news about the fires, and it's a really hard choice. I fixed on decks to read (to keep me going), not worrying about OOP (though I don't have much to worry about there yet!). If I could have five decks, they would be:

DruidCraft
Tarot of Prague
Universal Waite
Liber T
Visconti (LS)