Is tarot a skill anyone can learn?

Niti

Hey all,

Sorry if this has been done before, I wasn't sure what keywords would search it.
Anyway, another question out of curiosity...

Do you think tarot is a skill everyone can learn with the same level of proficiency? Or are there some who - for whatever reason - are more open to receiving true and insightful messages from the cards than others?

I often see other threads about tarot tied into topics about other gifts (psychic abilities and the like) and mystical stuff (tapping into a higher power), so I wondered how people felt about that tying into tarot. Do you see tarot as something much assisted by having some kind of "gift", however minor...or do you think anyone can pick up a set of cards and read the same basic thing after a little study?

poivre

I remember reading somewhat of this...

...some people play the piano and some are professional
players...
some people read cards others are psychic etc.

Anyone can learn as long as they are disciplined to learn.

Exercise the gifts we have to make them shine.

We all learn as we go along.

Study, practice and value the time you spend learning.

Find your own truth within your learning.

Be open to new information and to learn from others.

ros
:)

Skysteel

Niti said:
Do you think tarot is a skill everyone can learn with the same level of proficiency?

What do you mean by 'Tarot', as a skill?

le fey

I absolutely think reading and understanding Tarot is something anyone can learn... with the same proficiency? Probably not (heck, we're not all engaging in the same practice when we do use Tarot even if we're all doing something with that particular tool).

The one thing I see as key is having a willingness to see and accept that what we think we know isn't all there is. Without that openness to new information, it's hard to understand what the cards are trying to tell us. So if a person isn't at a level of maturity where they've figured out that they don't know it all, it may be a struggle to get procifient.

Beyond that? Everyone should read Tarot. :)

Niti

Skysteel said:
What do you mean by 'Tarot', as a skill?
By "tarot" I mean, the reading of the cards for any purpose, usually to obtain some kind of message or information.
By skill I mean...something that one can do effectively, usually after some type of training or practice.

Do you not feel comfortable with my terminology or ideas about what tarot is or is not?

Gayla

From am academic perspective, yes...anyone who applies themselves can learn. It's no different from any other art or discipline. If they have the aptitude to learn and can grasp all the necessary concepts. It can be considered a skill.

From an intuitive perspective, no...I don't think so. A person has to be willing to open their mind, heart, body, spirit and soul to be able to 'sense' what message coming through the cards. It can be considered a gift.

Sadly, not all people are capable of opening themselves to something in that manner....their talents and contributions to the world manifest in other ways.

But, I also think a person must have a true love and passion for the Tarot.

Consider this, perhaps a truly well rounded Tarotist needs both to truly use Tarot to his/her and it's (tarot) fullest potential.

:)

Alta

You can read tarot almost purely intellectually and give wonderful insightful readings. Folks here who really study it and know it in great depth are also (or can be if they wish it) great readers. You can also be a wonderful reader going the route of intuition or psychic abilities and that is good.

Either route requires certain inherent gifts plus a willingness to take the time and energy to apply them. And yes, some folks will be more insightful readers than others, but I think that (well almost) anyone can learn to read at least well enough to satisfy themselves and those around them.

Marion

Splungeman

Anybody can read cards, anybody can achieve the level of concentration and openness to intuition required. The only ones who are considered "gifted" in this respect are the ones who:

A) Call themselves that.

B) Have done it so many times for so long that they demonstrate a mastery of it.

I don't buy the idea that some people are psychic and others aren't. EVERYBODY is psychic, intuitive...call it what you want. It's part of our being. Those who call themselves psychic are people who have simply explored that part of themselves or have allowed it to manifest. Others who call themselves psychic are only doing so for the attention, money, or both.

I think it might be harder for some people to get there than others based on their life circumstances, but not based on some innate power that makes you better at card reading than anybody else.

firemaiden

No. I don't think just anyone can learn, or at least not to the same degree, or same kind of proficiency. We are all different, all have different kinds of intelligence, different ways of knowing, different kinds of channels we hook into. There are definitely some people who have real psychic proclivities that show up very early in their life, and who read psychically and their readings are powerful.

But I will say this: we can all learn to get something out of the tarot cards.

willowfox

Niti said:
Do you think tarot is a skill everyone can learn with the same level of proficiency? Or are there some who - for whatever reason - are more open to receiving true and insightful messages from the cards than others?

I don't believe that everyone is capable of reading the tarot cards, some can read excellently, some can read good, some can read but with a lot of struggle and some can never read. Same goes for astrology, I Ching and runes.
Some people seem to be naturally able to read the cards, while others have to learn that skill, while others are never capable. It is similar to learning another language, some find it relatively simple while others find it impossible.
Its all down to how a person's brain works.