How do I discover my career?

Butterfly

I'm currently being well and truly bounced around by my Saturn return (ouch!). It's got me really looking into my life, and the future I want to create.
What I am wondering is- where do I look on my chart for clues as to what career I would find to be fulfilling and satisfying? It's just one of the many issues Saturn has thrown my way.
Thanks!!

Minderwiz

As I don't have your birth details (date, time, place) I can only be general in response.

Your career and social status is a tenth House matter (the part of your chart between 12 O'Clock and 11 O'Clock) - the sign on the cusp of this House and its ruling planet are important plus any planets in the House. However it's polar opposite House, the fourth, is also relevant - it covers your home and domestic circumstances, which may conflict with career. The sixth House also deals with the day to day routine work of employment. Transits over these Houses will be important - also the progressed Moon will be important (its return is roughly in line with the Saturn return).

Clearly for such an important event as the Saturn Return, you could also look at wider issues than simply concentrating on career. Your whole approach to life and the way in which you interact with others will need to be considered.

If you can give me your birth details I will give you a fuller response.

Minderwiz

Butterfly

Thanks Minderwiz, I know really very little about Saturn Return, except it's painful!
My date of birth is 23/7/73, born Newcastle Australia, 2.08pm my time.
I guess I think of career as how I define myself, but you are right, wider issues are more important! This Saturn Return thing should really come with an instruction manual......

lunalafey

Wouldn't one want to look to the 2nd house as well. I understand this to be the house with the ability to make money.

Minderwiz

Lunalafey,

The second House does indeed cover the material side of life, including attitudes to material property and possessions and natural talents and skills.

It may well be a relevant factor in a more detailed reading in relation to career, as would the eighth House which covers other people's money, possessions and talents and is also the House of Business, especially big business. The sixth is also relevant as it covers our roles as employees (wage slaves!).

However the place where you start and the one that is most important is the tenth House, its sign, ruler and planets within it. Then bring the other Houses in if you need more information to deal with a question or if you have been asked for a detailed analysis.

Remember also that one or two Houses only shows part of the person so its best to do a general assessment first based on elements, modalities or qualities, chart shape, and the Yin/Yang balance (masculine/feminine or positive/negative if you prefer those terms) and any aspect patterns. To do a full reading will take a long time and required some very good integrative skills but with the proviso that your reading is limited it is OK to do the overview and then concentrate on the particular area in question.

Butterfly,

Saturn returns are not necessarily or usually painful in any other sense than they mark the rite of passage into adulthood. In that sense they are to be welcomed - with the Saturn return you are now a fully fledged independent individual who has learned many of the important lessons that life brings.

You are also now fully equipped to venture out there and learn the remaining lessons!

lunalafey

I went to look at my 10th and 6th house; 10th is Gemini with no planets, Mercury the ruling planet is in Capricorn. The 4th house cusp is in Sag. but the Sun and Mercury are in the 4th house. The 6th house/Aquarius. With the Mercury thing I should be in some sort of communications field. I do like to write. One of my books mention that the aspects to the sun where also important. My Sun and Mercury are conjunct, in 4th house; having an inclination towards accounting, secritarial, and literary work. Maybe I should consider writing. The Book also mention that if most planets are located in Earth signs, a business would be appropriate, I have six planets in Earth signs. Now about the 4th house. There seems to be the major influence considering it is quite busy house. The house involving home and land/property. Sagittarius, the only occupation type of association I could find was horseman. Now all of this is VERY interesting. I was approached last night for a business venture. From that I would be able to purchase 20 acres to live on and make my home. My job would be to caretake a stable and do tourist trail rides through the mountains. I guess we shall see how much a chart really can reflect our destiny.

Sag. the sign of the house deals with

isthmus nekoi

*oops* sorry, I've misread your post. Pls ignore the info about mutual reception ^-^ Check out where Saturn is to see if he makes any aspects to MC or Merc.

As for writing as a career, I'd also check out Jupiter which rules publishing. (Jupiter rules Sag). Jupiter also rules travel (tourism I suppose goes w/that) and education (guide?)...

(original msg)
You have Saturn and Mercury in mutual reception (Saturn in the sign Merc rules and vice versa) which means that Saturn and Merc should get along well, that is, they understand each other b/c they're in each other's positions. So this bodes well for a career in Merc areas as Saturn/Capricorn lends its discipline.

Minderwiz

Good work Lunalafey and Isthmus - you are rightly looking for connections.

Gemini on the tenth does suggest communications, but also writing, journalism, travel (short distances) such as road haulage or freight, teaching, advertising and sales, information collection and dissemination - such as Market research.

With the ruler Mercury in the fourth its possible that it could be a family business, or working from home, or using family property. In Capricorn Mercury is more structured, ambitious and cautious. So those may well be qualities you would bring to your business. You are more likely to remain single minded rather than be a fount of ideas but see none of them through.

The fourth house cusp ruler is only useful in so far as it may indicate the qualities of the home environment that might lend themselves to your career if you work from home, or family qualities if it is a family business.

Sagittarius brings a desire to expand an learn - to grow, through travel, learning of philosophies and undergoing higher education.

You may therefore have a home environment which encourages your personal development and is willing to foster a sense of adventure.

Sagittarius careers are more related to legal, clerical (in the sense of clergy), publicity, travel, import and export, forecasting, exploration - occupations that require some foresight and sense of adventure. Though I would not see these as a direct link to employment.

Sixth House ruled by Aquarius suggests that as an employee you will be independent, detached, quite logical but may be subject to sudden changes (possibly of jobs) - you may easily get bored with the routine of work, so you need a job which is challenging, has lots of variation and keeps you thinking. You would probably be most happy if you have a position of some responsibility because it allow you more scope for self expression. (though your subordinates may necessarily see this as a good thing).

Have a look for the position of Uranus, and Saturn (traditional ruler of Aquarius), which may give you more information about yourself as an employee.

lunalafey

-'Sixth House ruled by Aquarius suggests that as an employee you will be independent, detached, quite logical....' that's me!
Routine rut? OH my...how I know about that. Around 3 years is when I start thinking "I don't want to go to work" and it's not the working, it's the job, burn out. Now the short travel and sales connection with Gemini, I have a small in home business making and selling my handywork. Part of that involves traveling to festivals around the state to sell those goods.
Now as for Saturn and Uranus. Saturn is in Aries/7th hs. and Uranus is in Virgo/1st.
Saturn is also squares Mercury

dolphinprincess

I was wondering if someone better versed in astrology (..i just got my first few books) could help me on this topic...

From reading this thread, it looks like the 10th house is the place to start... The only 'planet' in the 10th house for me, is Chiron. The two signs that are in my tenth house are Aries and Taurus (just ran my chart....)..

Any ideas? Do I need more information?

Thanks!