If you could start over--Part II

brujablanca

Thank you to everyone that posted in the "If you could start over" thread. I found the results very interesting.

It seems that there are a good number of us who didn't start out using the Intuitive style of reading.

I was wondering when some of you made the switch, why, and how.

I know it was hard for me to unlearn some of the meanings and to trust my gut when I felt something different.

Again, thank you to all

~~Bruja

Ange

I have switched the other way. I started with a Marsielles deck, and couldn't make head nor tails of the Minors, with them being just symbols. So I changed decks to the Sharman-Caselli and the cards have pictures that can be interpreted.

However, with having such a bad memory, I have to study a thing before it's basic meaning will stay in my head.......so I am now looking at the book to get just the basic meaning, not the writers perceptions but just a basic bit......and then I am writing about each card myself. So I suppose there is some of my own intuition there, but it follows a basic bit of knowledge.

Ang x

AJ

your intuitive side can be jump started with the Intuitive Oracle Exchanges here at AT. Since you aren't working with tarot cards there isn't any preset keywords in your mind.

You just pick an oracle (or other divinatory tool), Never look at a book, and do the reading. The spread is provided. I highly recommend the exercise.

Ange

I am working with the Tarot....studing it to learn it. And I do some readings for myself.

It might seem a daft question, but where do I find the Intuitive Oracle Exchanges....
Ang x

AJ

I saw the invitation thread this morning, but darned if I can find it now. For some reason many of the reading circles use initials rather than typing out the name of the circle, maybe that is why I can't find it.

elvenstar

Ang, there's also a tarot Intuitive Study Group (ISG) in the reading exchange / reading circles subforum, I think a new round should be starting at some point soon...

I'm only at the start of my journey, I haven't felt the need to unlearn anything yet. I jumped right into the cards, looking up possible meanings as I went along, but taking it all with a pinch of salt. I like enriching my knowledge of the cards and hope it all works together when doing readings.

Ange

Thanks both.....I'll take another look.... :)
ASng x

Starling

I guess I was an intuitive reader. I never actually memorized anything, but I did use books from the beginning. Now I'm working through the 21 Ways Study Group here and we've gotten to the point where there is more formal information being used - elements and modes, keywords for numbers and suit. And for a change I'm paying attention.

I don't think you actually do only intuitive or only memorized keywords unless you force yourself to do that. I think that the formal learning primes the pump and gets you going if you go through a blank phase. Or, at least, that seems to be how it is working, will work, for me.

Umbrae

One doesn’t have to ‘unlearn’ meanings. Intuitive, or psychic readings come with practice, both with and without Tarot cards.

Here’s a couple links to old posts on readings without Tarot that some may find interesting.

This one is on reading with The Ancient Toothpicks of Thoth.

This one is about reading with… Whatever one has on hand.

:smoker:

Lulu

Umbrae said:
One doesn’t have to ‘unlearn’ meanings. Intuitive, or psychic readings come with practice, both with and without Tarot cards.

Here’s a couple links to old posts on readings without Tarot that some may find interesting.

This one is on reading with The Ancient Toothpicks of Thoth.

This one is about reading with… Whatever one has on hand.

:smoker:

Thank you. Shallow words for the huge difference this post of yours will make on my tarot journey. I have been delving so deeply into tarot books to learn the card meanings that I have totally muddled my intuitive thinking. I've become so frustrated! I'm putting the books away until I play with the cards for awhile again. I will learn to trust my thoughts before I pick up another book.

Lulu