First time Reading for money- eek!

sleepingcat

Coming up in a few weeks, I'm going to go to an anime convention for the weekend and have an art table to sell the pictures I draw, crafts I make and the like.

I also want to do Tarot readings, and have been granted permission to do so.

The catch. There's also a vendor at the con in the vendor's room who will be giving tarot readings. This reader is far above me in tallent, reputation, skills, experience, and all... and I have to make sure I dont take any of their buissness.

Infact, I was incouraged to send anyone who got a reading from me to get another from them. ...That doesnt sit well with me but I dont think the person who said it really gets Tarot anyway. >.>

But I have no idea how on earth to charge. x.x; I was honestly thinking a dollar a card.

I have to stay low enough that I *actually* read for some one because I need expierience, not the money. At the same time I dont wanna be the "bargian brand" and get myself in trouble, as well as possably damage the reputation of tarot for the area if I suck.

There's also the issue that I wonder if out of respect for the senior reader, I shouldnt withdrawl and wait until the next chance a year from now.

What do you think?

(maybe if i'd bless'd-ly lucky that reader will be on here and I'll be able to ask them personally....I wasnt told their name *grumble*)

Umbrae

This is simply my opinion…

Don’t worry about the other reader. Don’t send folks to them for a ‘real reading’, that takes away from your quality.

Charge a flat rate – 20 bucks.

sleepingcat said:
…as well as possably damage the reputation of tarot for the area if I suck.

What? Don’t even open that door. You’ll be as good as you think you are. And the willingness to get out there and read for strangers – that alone moves you up a notch. And the experience will be huge – tell us how it went when it’s all over!

As for the other reader, they most likely have their 'regulars' who come to them year after year (I read at the Archon in St Louis, I have regulars who sit for a reading year after year. A new reader would not 'steal' that business from me).

IF the other reader gets bent outta shape, that's their problem, not yours. Just read your cards, sell your art - and let them get negative.

mysticmonkey

I wouldn't worry about the other reader. A bit of healthy competition wouldn't do any harm. Besides you're selling your art at an anime convention. Do you have to send people on to "better" artists if they buy something from you?
No that's up to them to decide what to buy. You just concentrate on what you are trying to provide to people.

Oh and don't undersell yourself and that's with the art and the tarot. ;)

Miren

I know it's scary to feel like a newbie, I feel that way in so many areas of life. But don't undervalue your skills and don't feel like you have to send people to another reader. If they want that reader, they'll go there. If not, they'll come to you. Maybe they want a change. :)

Best of luck, have confidence, do your very best!

satinangel

Hi sleepingcat!

Ya know what? We all gotta start somewhere...and the anime convention sounds like a great place to start. I know you are nervous and worried about upsetting another reader...but keep in mind s/he had to start somewhere too!

I feel that you are being far too hard on yourself. Who is to say, whom is a better reader? You will attract those that need to hear the message you have to give them and the other reader will do the same. I do not feel that you need to do any referrals to the other reader. Keep in mind, if they paid you for a reading, they chose you. If a client wants confirmation or even another reading, let them decide. I can understand if someone asks you "Are you the reader that was here last year?" ... but not a flat out referral, after the fact.

I also agree a flat rate is the way to go and $20 is very fair.

Wishing you the best of luck with your convention! Sounds fun!

AJ

You know everyone here will be sending you good thoughts!! Promise you'll hurry back and tell all afterwards :)
Just keep the readings short, like 3-4 cards. Trying to manage your booth and do Celtic Crosses would tip you over!

Star-Willow

Sleepingcat.....What a good opportunity to get *out there* and do your thing! You have been given some good advice here..... go with it and enjoy :)

Best of Luck to you!!!
:heart:
*Star*

frelkins

choice of tarot reader is personal. it's about rapport, and everyone is going to have a different rapport with different people. some people will naturally like you better than the other reader, for no reason they can name; and vice versa. i'm sure at a big convention there will be more than enough business to go around for 2. good luck.

Splungeman

It doesn't matter how long they've been reading, or how much experience they have, they could still be lousy.

Don't worry about them. It's THAT reader's job to market themself, not yours. If they get all bent out of shape because you are doing readings...boo hoo for them. If it turns out people like your readings better than the other person's...again, not your problem. Maybe they could learn something from you. :)

Sulis

Splungeman said:
It doesn't matter how long they've been reading, or how much experience they have, they could still be lousy.

Don't worry about them. It's THAT reader's job to market themself, not yours. If they get all bent out of shape because you are doing readings...boo hoo for them. If it turns out people like your readings better than the other person's...again, not your problem. Maybe they could learn something from you. :)

I completely agree with Splungeman.
I also agree with Umbrae in that you should probably charge a flat rate. $1 per card seems very, very little.
What can you buy for a dollar?
Is that really all you think your readings are worth?
You've probably put a lot of time and effort into studying Tarot and now you're ready to read for money - don't undervalue all that time and studying.