Making a web page?

lilith

Hello, I have a business idea that incorporates tarot reading w/ other pagan resource information, yet I'm pretty much computer illiterate! Help..I'm not sure where to start. Should I start with some good books on developing web pages? Is there any software programs that are a good start? Or should I just hire someone to develop a webpage? I feel so frustrated because I'd like to get started and yet, don't even know where to begin...I have so many questions, is it expensive to have a webpage? How do some get looked at more than others? Those of you who've had success, what can you tell me to avoid or pay attention to? Any suggestions would be wonderful..Thanks, I have to go to work, I'll check back tonight.

Gayla

I have my webpage thru cabanova.com.

It's free and easy to build using their online software.

I've been very happy with it. :)

This doesn't answer all your questions, but it might help. :)

Alpha-Omega

I made my webiste with godaddy.com they have a service called Website tonight with pre-made templates. Thats a great start. and the prices to me are great,

lilith

Thanks guys! I'll check up on what you told me.

lunalafey

I have used a few different free web-based website builds and I have settled on wetpaint.com (see my site as an example)
I am semi versed in site building, but don't want to take so much time, wetpaint is so easy and quick to work with.

lilith

Thanks Lunalafey, I like your website!

Sulis

I use Sitemaker to build my site from Moonfruit.

It's flash based and really easy to use - you don't need to know anything about HTML at all.

www.moonfruit.com

Nimbus

Building a website- whether you do it all your self, or have someone build it for you is a wonderful project to work on.

In my case I decided to hire a professional as I have absolutely no experience with designing and building a website, but it was expensive. My role was to have a very clear idea of how I wanted the site to look- the feel, the text, the photos used, the flow, etc.

For each 'page' on the site, I gave it a title and wrote the text out on a piece of paper. I chose the photos to go with each page. Even those two exercises took hundreds of hours. It required that I be very clear on what my philosophy and approach are and how I wanted to position my tarot practice. What I was most concerned about was the ability to have the pay pal work properly and the blog function so I could go in and change the text on one of the pages. Those two functions are still not complete, but should be in the next few weeks.

The entire process took about 6 months- there were several proofs drafted and I was able to ask for changes if it did not have the look and feel that I was going for. I found that the end result was a bit farther away than my initial 'vision', but I am happy with the final product.

You can buy "Ad-Words" from Google. I have not done this yet, but will do so in the near future. It is pretty easy- come up with a list of key words that you 'bid' on and pay to use. You can set a limit as to how much per month you are willing to pay. These are the words that appear on the right-side of the screen when you complete a search. If a person clicks on the word, you are charged, but it does direct them to your site.

I wish I was capable of completing a site by myself, and perhaps it is far easier and possible, as some here have suggested. But, with a full-time job, going to school part-time, and travelling on business regularly, it was just not something I could do myself. Now that I have had the pleasure of working with a professional for the website, I would likely do so again in the future.

Good luck with your new project! You will learn not only about web site development and design, but you will learn about how you truly view the tarot as coming up with the content for your site will really make you think! :)

~Deborah

lilith

Wow thanks so much for the information Nimbus, I agree, I think I'm going to need some professional help. I see how everyone here has been so helpful, but might I ask, how are everyone's sites doing? Let's say, eventually, you were wanting to supplement your income, and your dream would be to have your site, do that. Can it be achieved through making your own page, through some of these easy tutorials. Or do you have to go through professionals that you have to pay monthly? It's all so confusing to me.