PDA

View Full Version : Need help with natural flea repelant

nanab
11-11-2007, 09:38
I know that this natural flea repelant has fennel and garlic, so its safe for the dog, but there's another yellow herb in this. It has a bitter-sweet smell and is yellow. Maybe you guys can figure this out. The company won't tell us what's in it.

rainstarhorizon
11-11-2007, 12:31
The yellowish bitterly aromatic herb you speak of seems like Rue or Ruta graveolens L RUTACEAE. This was given to me as a flea repellant recipe when the dried leaves were infused in water as were the leaves of Pennyroyal or Mentha pulegium L LABIATE.

Please read up on these if you are going to handle herbs as different concentrations of different parts of any plant can have widely differing effects on a body.ie leaves flowers or stems and infusions smudges or concentrated oils.

The use of Rue as a flea deterrant is not as widely known as that of Pennyroyal's use which was common even with the ancients. (Who mostly used it as a smudge/smoker)

Pennyroyal can also be used freshly crushed to deter fleas from carpets.

Both these herbs contain warnings that say they should not be handled by pregnant women. It is mostly the concentrated oils that are the hazard but better to be safe than sorry.

I am sorry I no longer have the exact recipe but it seemed to work well.Good Luck with your seeking.

Note- many flea and insect deterrents seem to work on irritation to the creature's nervous system and the fact that they are so much smaller than us so require a lesser quantity or concentration than we larger beings do....it still makes sense therefore to minimise our human contact with these substances during their preparation and use.

willowfox
11-11-2007, 15:22
Is it saffron or something similar that they put in curry powder?

nanab
13-11-2007, 04:24
I would like to thank rainstarhorizon and willowfox for their suggestions. Now to look them up in a herbal book. These were a great start.

willowfox
13-11-2007, 15:10
Hot chili pepper powder is certainly nasty stuff, it messes up the mouth and breathing apparatus.

morticia monroe
18-11-2007, 11:46
Eucalyptus leaves repel fleas as well. When I lived in California, I would take small branches from the trees and put them under the furniture. It worked.

sleepingcat
19-11-2007, 23:33
Neem oil can come in a variety of forms... and it's really really effective.

It smells weird but not unleasant. I cant recall if I've seen it in red- we usually get it in a liquid.

nanab
19-11-2007, 23:51
Thanks SleepingCat. But where do I get it and how is it used?

sleepingcat
20-11-2007, 00:01
If you google Neem you'll find a good handful of dealers, but you can ask your pet store if they carry it or can get it in. We discovered it when it was in our local Pets Mart but it was only brought in as an end-cap, one time kind of product.

We get it from the internet now, but I forgot the site mom goes to. ^^;

HearthCricket
20-11-2007, 00:05
I don't know exactly how much she uses, but Tasha Tudor puts garlic in her dogs food and it has always kept both ticks and fleas at bay. It might be worth looking into. Apparently it agrees with them, but the bugs don't care for it and stay away.

nanab
11-12-2007, 09:10
Thank You everyone who answered my dilema. But alas, some bad news. After all this research the dog ran away. He was such a beautiful dog some-one must surely have him. Our family is pretty heartbroken about this turn of events. Honestly I only wanted to get rid of the fleas.