Repeated Numbers

poivre

How do you use the repeated numbers in your readings?

~Example~
Do you have a system, if there are 3 cards with the
number 6 on them.
6 Swords, 6 Cups, 6 Pentacles

three sixes mean ...
OR
do you use 6 as finding harmony (or your explanation of this
number) is strong throughout the spread because they're
three of them.

One book I have tells
Three cards - 6's
Friends and colleagues will provide the questioner
with a new opportunity

Another book
three sixes - a party

I would say that that there is a quiet time now to find
peace before a bridge comes you must cross. Balance
and finding peace is strong for you at this time.
(something like this)

Just a question,
ros
:)

celticnoodle

my initial response was going to be that three sixes was about troubles ahead of you, coming towards you. this because my grandmother, who was very superstitious, was always wary of three or four sixes. she always told me it meant trouble. however, i have a tarot book that also has a section in it on numbers, and I was surprised to see that it says pretty much what you already mentioned:

three 6's= success, achievement
four 6's=abundance, generosity
this when upright. when reversed,

three 6's=amends, atonement
four 6's=anxiety, distress.

poivre

Thanks celticnoodle!

GAWD there are so many ways to read. :)

mirkmaid

In my experience sixes tend to indicate stability and good balance. Not the most explosively exciting cards but nice and placid, lol!

6 swords, being evenminded and calm
6 cups, emotional stability
6 pentacles, financial stability

A gross simplification, I know...^-^

willowfox

I do not find that the cards and numerology go together well at all, just because 3 sevens come up in a reading carries no weigh, it is the cards that you are reading not the numbers. Also, the position meaning of the card will have a big impact on how that particular card is to be read, so 3 sevens all in different positions would not work as a unit, they would all be separate in their final meanings. I know that various people try to attach as many different systems of divination as possible to the cards, some are just plain unworkable and others just lead the reader up the garden path, completely lost. The mind of "man" is full of bright ideas but some of those ideas are just pie in the sky. You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.

Sulis

Willowfox said:
I do not find that the cards and numerology go together well at all, just because 3 sevens come up in a reading carries no weigh, it is the cards that you are reading not the numbers
But the cards have numbers on them so the numbers are part of the cards.

Sixes relate to The Lovers.
They come straight after the upset (often unexpected) of the fives and so are about the choices and relationships we make to get things back to being balanced and harmonious.
Six is made up of two threes and so are very well balanced.
Sixes aren't as stable and prone to stagnation as the fours, there is an energy flow in the sixes and so they speak of interpersonal relationships and sharing.

I don't really go with book meanings for card combinations because I think that with every reading the meanings will change slightly but I'd say that a reading with a lot of sixes in it shows that the querant is striving for balance and harmony, especially in their dealings with others.

willowfox

Sulis said:
But the cards have numbers on them so the numbers are part of the cards.

Yes, the cards have numbers making it easier to identify which card you are actually looking at. Some decks are so weird, that if they did not have an identifying number nobody would be able to figure out what they were.

Keavy McGee

I just did a 3-car spread and all three cards were 9s - Pentacles, Cups, Swords. Never had that happen before. I interpreted that as meaning a cycle was ending, completion at many levels. But as I was reading for myself and know the answer, I suppose my interpretation's a bit suspect, lol.

Keavy

Sulis

willowfox said:
Yes, the cards have numbers making it easier to identify which card you are actually looking at. Some decks are so weird, that if they did not have an identifying number nobody would be able to figure out what they were.
The numbers aren't there to help you see which card is which, they're there as part of the card.

Loads of people use numerology with tarot and it works very well, I do so myself.
Just because you find it doesn't work for you does not mean that it's an 'unworkable system' and that numbers 'carry no weight', it means that it's a system that you choose not to use.

Almost every book I've ever read on tarot (and I've read a lot) acknowledge that the numbers mean something, just as the elemental attributions of the different suits mean something otherwise there would be no point in having numbers on the cards.

MeeWah

How I approach number multiples depends on the query & the presence of other cards, if any.

Tend, however, to see repeated numbers as significant for the repetition. To refer to the basic quality of that number & to the Major Arcana represented--6-The Lovers. & to the particular aspect or element represented by same which may be secondary to or reflective of the 'major' influence.

Hence, the presence of 3 pips of the number 6 to not only refer to the 3 particular aspects of Swords, Cups & Pentacles, but also to the lack of Wands.

Generally, Swords related to the intellect or logic. Cups, the emotions; perception & understanding; past experiences. Pentacles, the material or manifest such as finances, health, studies; the practical understanding based on that learned or otherwise acquired.

Wands of the creative or motivational; related to the spiritual or general focus. Its lack could indicate a need to reassess the focus, the intent &/or the purposeful. & to ensure all factors in place; to realize that at the fore.

As a number, 6 pertains to service, responsibility, love, intuition, harmony, communications & balance. A number of completion in its own right, reflective of accomplishment & growth; thus, the completion or end of a cycle.