PDA

View Full Version : colors & borders

Tarotphelia
07-11-2002, 21:36
I don't know how difficult this would be to do , but-

You might consider changing the forum color every 6 months or so. Nothing drastic, maybe just bit more warmer hue one time or little lighter/darker the next , etc. Or- trying altogether new colors out for a while to make things seem fresher. Nothing too shocking- easy on the eyes is important for long term reading.

Also, instead of plain black borders, maybe adding some tarot card thumbnails at the edges or another appropriate place where there is nothing going on visually. Clickable for deck info or sale link. It would add beauty & excitement as well as informing members of decks they have not yet seen. You know how people love to look at tarot cards, and how they grow on you after you see them a while, and then you have to have them....

I realize some people might see the last suggestion as crass materialism, but if it would help the site overall & add beauty at the same time - why not? The deck artists & publishers must have sales, or there will be no new decks & then what?? (Eeeek.)

Tarotphelia

Pollux
07-11-2002, 23:36
Tarotphelia, I FORMALLY OBJECT TO YOUR SUGGESTIONS!!! *LOL*

As for the colour: NO WAY!!! I love these purples, and the thin black borders, and the white typos standing out..
Actually I liked even better the old colours we had, I mean, always these ones, but without the alternation of the deep purple with the lilac colour.
There used to be deep purple "back-ground" (where the typed message apeared) and lilac headline and borders in all of the posts (now lilac and purple alternate).

I love these colours anyway, I hope Solandia never changes them - they are also matching the Aclectic Tarot Website, the mirror that delivers visitors here.
If Solandia consider changing, I hope she won't switch colours but set them as they used to be.

As for banners, cards and all, I think this is already done in the Aeclectic Tarot Home Page. After all this is a Forum, with threads and posts, those cards would feel a bit clumsy and would make the page-loading procedures even more slow than they are - I am blessed with DSL, but I can only imagine how tiring it can be with dial-up.

What is more, as I said, the advertising is already done in the Site - if you like, I think there's not even the space to include decks here in the Forum pages, and I imagine that apart from the "Aeclectic Tarot" image you see in the top left corner of all the pages, the software doesn't allow any other image to be included in the layout...

Tarotphelia
08-11-2002, 00:10
I love purple too, Pollux -all kinds of purples, not just one!

I didn't mean to push your change panic button!! Lie down, relax, no harm will come to you....take a deep breath....

kayne
08-11-2002, 02:20
I'm with Pollux. Part of the reason the forum needs to be relatively consistant is so that people who are not as regular as some of us know where they are when they get here. It's like a certain Scottish Restaurant suddenly making there yellow 'M' blue and changing it every six months... people would take a while to recognise it.

Also, I think the focus in the forums need to be what is written in the forums... I am all for colour (been an advocate from the beginning :D) but it has to be appropriate and not compete from the main purpose of the forum.

Plus, we really don't need to slow down these forums - I remember what it was like before the changes... Don't need that again!

zorya
08-11-2002, 10:15
the aeclectic forum is my place of respite, my sanctuary, my comfort. i love that the decor is calm and soothing. it's so easy to read for hours and not feel like you're getting eye strain. if a site is very 'busy', i find myself wanting to get off it.

i love that the focus is on the words and thoughts that we type.

with kayne's beautiful and colorful avatars, the appearance of this site could never be described as boring.

please don't change the colors. (unless it's to return to the non-alternating purple ;) )

purplelady
08-11-2002, 12:33
I know of another forum , same forum type as this one, that changes colors ever so often. And it's still easy to recognize as the same forum , since it has the same name and looks the same , just different colors! It doesn't really matter to me one way or the other , but it may be interesting just for variety and a fresh new look. How about aqua , or pale blue? :) .

Phoenix
08-11-2002, 12:35
I like the teal and magentas used on other parts of the site. Something in blue would be nice.

wavebreaker
08-11-2002, 18:39
I wouldn't mind a change of colour every now and then, but I agree with what others have said that the focus should be on the content and that the pages shouldn't take too long to load, for those who have slow connections.

Pollux
09-11-2002, 03:36
NO PLEASE DON'T TAKE THESE PURPLE AND LILAC HUES AWAY SOLANDIA!!! :( :( :( *LOL*

HOLMES
09-11-2002, 04:25
transformation is all over the forum,, and it is life,,

not everything can be consistent..

SOLANDIA try a deep forest green for a day ?

or a nice sky blue, ?

or a nice aquarimen ,,

Jewel
15-11-2002, 05:32
Originally posted by Pollux
NO PLEASE DON'T TAKE THESE PURPLE AND LILAC HUES AWAY SOLANDIA!!! :( :( :( *LOL*

Pollux you are freaking out again! Please stop that you are making me nervous *LOL* ...

Personally I am with Pollux and Kayne on this one, but should the decision be made to change up the colors then so be it. Change is a natural part of life, and one that most humans resist on a regular basis. Solandia, do what you think is best.

P.S. I am one of those with the slow dial up connection

Pollux
15-11-2002, 05:39
MH... I am confident that Solandia never saw this of colours as a problem.
In two years of existence or more the colours never chaged, so it means she is really fond of them... ;) *LOL*

And I agree change is everywhere, but this doesn't mean we need exterior obvious change. :P
The boards are continuosly changing: old members leaving, new members coming, old members showing up again... The change is there, and no one can do much about it. But surely we can try to limit it, especially when it regards a marginal issue... ;) *LOL*

And after all, knowing that ugly as my day might have been, I can come back here at Aeclectic and relax for a while, is simply something... :smoker: *LOL*
I don't know if I would feel the same if the colours changed... :( *being petty here LOL*

Phoenix
15-11-2002, 07:01
I don't see how colours really affect connection speed? If the current colours don't affect it, then why would new ones??

kayne
15-11-2002, 12:33
Originally posted by Phoenix
I don't see how colours really affect connection speed? If the current colours don't affect it, then why would new ones?? Phoenix: Tarotphelia suggested adding pictures and advertising down the sides of the forum. This is what people are refering to when saying they wouldn't want any changes to slow their conection speed.

Phoenix
15-11-2002, 13:17
Ahh..I see. Well, I can't say that I agree with that, but I still say that a change in colour would be nice. Nothing too drastic, but something like a nice sky blue, or pale green.

Solandia
09-12-2002, 13:29
The Forum had a white background at one point after a reinstall of the software - everyone asked for the old colours back.. :)

The general colour scheme won't be changing any time soon, though it might be feasible to have an option for individual users to alter the colour scheme if change is desired. I'm looking into it.

~ Solandia

Umbrae
09-12-2002, 13:54
Sometimes when i go to an internet page, I see nothing. Some background color and some font color...that I cannot see.

Some of us are indeed colorblind. Please leave colors as is.

kayne
11-12-2002, 11:17
An option to change the colours we see personally is very cool. :) That would make everyone happy. :D

Sorceress_Jade
12-12-2002, 03:24
Here here, that sounds like a lovely idea. Though I'm satisfied with the current colors as well.

I never though I'd like gold, but it goes so perfectly with the lilac. I think the scheme now is very mature looking. Sometimes you find sites where the webmaster is neon happy and you get lime text with magenta boarders, with yellow banners, with... etc. you get the idea. There was a plethora of these sites in the 90's as I recall. I'm glad to have a scheme so easy on the eyes. It's unobtrusive and serves it's purpose.

allibee
15-12-2002, 22:59
I think having a personal choice scheme is a good idea, for example:
Take a screen capture of this page, take it to any imaging programme, even Paint, and simply invert the colours.... very soothing imho.

allibee

Mystica
16-12-2002, 07:35
I agree with Pollux and Kayne, and I think the colors are great just the way they are. It's easy on the eyes, so I can read for hours! :D

The option of changing them individually would be a good way to please everyone, but with all that Solandia has to do, it shouldn't be a priority.

I love the forum just the way it is, but each to his own. :)