Interesting chat about Tarot and health issues

HearthCricket

Yesterday I was at the local New Age store while a man was in there making an appointment for tomorrow night's tarot reader. He specifically said he wanted some information about a health issue and the owner promptly told him they didn't do that. They did Shamanistic healings on certain weeks, but they didn't predict health issues with tarot decks. He seemed rather frustrated and asked why and she simply stated that the readers did not do that. He then looked at me and said "Can you believe that?" So I kind of went into a gentle rant about how tarot was not set up for that, told him about how some cards might read as time to rest, recooperate, battles one, battles lost, etc., but that there were no actual cards that said "you have a tumour and need an operation, etc." and went on explaining the major arcana and the court cards and how, interestingly enough, there was no physician card nor a apothecary card in the deck. I went on about what we do know about the history of the deck, the game Tarrochi, the time period it originated from, and that it was interesting that though a physician was not specifically pointed out, he was important in daily life. We pullled out a deck and went through it together and, of course, he pointed out death, but I told him most readers see that as a transition, change, more of a spiritual death, changing one's outlook or opinion on things, not an actual physical death, moving on to new things with a fresh outlook. (one could argue that the Magician might cover these areas, but it is interesting that there is no medical personel on board the major arcana, is it not?)

Needless to say, I hope I was in the right and he did end up signing up for a reading (not sure who is even reading, tomorrow night) and understood he could not get his money back after a reading, if he didn't like it, etc. I know we have talked about this to some extent in the past, on AT, and how we don't read for health issues, but when someone wants the specifics as to why not, how do you explain it, in layman's terms?

lark

I do, do health readings....
I don't diagnosis a disease, but I do see health issues in a reading and I do bring them up and talk about them....if they ask.
People sometimes want to know the different aspects/outcomes of one treatment over another, or one doctor over another... ect.
I can't believe the horror stories I've heard about the way doctor's mistreat people...emotionally and physically.
They are confused and scared and want to talk about it and a reading is sometimes the best medicine to help send them back out in the world armed with a few options and a clearer head.

I think as a reader you have to be very careful with health readings....but they do have value if done with the right intent and with care and compassion.

I think you handled the situation wonderfully...and he got a little lesson on tarot in the bargain.... though...I never talk anyone out of a health reading so I can't answer your question.

Baroli

I think sometimes even if the sitter isn't directly asking about health issues, they invariably will come up. I don't hold anything back, I do tell the sitter about various impressions that do come into my head in the form of a question, ie. 'btw, when was the last time you went to the dentist?' Nothing threatening just perhaps a thought planted; it could be I picked up a dentist appointment coming up that the sitter is going to ( or doesn't want to keep })).

To me Temperance is an apothecary card. The angel is mixing(alchemy) back and forth in 2 cups in order to achieve balance.

Baroli

lark

Baroli said:
To me Temperance is an apothecary card. The angel is mixing(alchemy) back and forth in 2 cups in order to achieve balance. Baroli
Very true Baroli...Temperance is my medicine card...often comes up reversed when someone's medications need tweeking.

zannamarie

I thought the issue with health readings is most tarot readers are not trained and licensed to practice medicine. That's why we don't give medical advice/health readings.

Ditto for legal advice.

With regards to a medical person in the major arcana, I've had more than one occasion where the Hierophant has represented a doctor.

HearthCricket

But even though some cards may lean toward an apothecary or physician, don't you find it interesting that they were never titled as so, historically? I mean, we have Queens, Kings, Knights, Pages, Fools, Emperors, Hierophants, etc., but the physician and medical field were never included, but a High Priestess was! Neat, I think! And curious!!

lark

HearthCricket said:
But even though some cards may lean toward an apothecary or physician, don't you find it interesting that they were never titled as so, historically? I mean, we have Queens, Kings, Knights, Pages, Fools, Emperors, Hierophants, etc., but the physician and medical field were never included, but a High Priestess was! Neat, I think! And curious!!
It is interesting...but maybe back then not as much clout was given to the medical field as there is now...might be a whole different kettle of fish if tarot was being invented today.
If the doctor couldn't cure you, you took a different route, maybe a visit to the neighborhood wise woman or tribal shaman....now days we go to another doctor.

I have 6 pages in my tarot journal filled front and back with medical associations I've noticed over my years of tarot readings....they are probably specific to me and my style of reading.
I never make note of anything unless I have had positive confirmation that what I saw in the card was fact.
Not having a flat out card for doctor or disease ect...causes the cards to teach me a more subtle language...helps me look harder..listen closer....trust my feelings.
So maybe it's not in there for a purpose.

Umbrae

Tarot for certain uses, such as medicine, legal, and financial arenas can be a minefield.

If you're wrong, the sitter dies, or becomes destitute. Even if you’re correct and the sitter acts contrary to indications, you’re in trouble. Plus, there are outside factors that the tarot may give clues about but you may not grasp (I find using tarot to predict baseball games very hit and miss for these same reasons).

JMD once said, that all of the images used in the trumps can be found across Europe on cathedral walls and windows – predating Tarot. Of course an apothecary or medical person would not be found, because (back then) we placed our faith in God, not man.

Dave.vdv

Verry interesting question.

I myself would never read about a medical question, because i don't feel i i'm a good reader yet and it's dangerous i think.

But in the same way someone with a serious mental or emotional problem asking for a read can also have bad consequences if you would say the wrong thing.
That's probly why selfexploring questions or always better then definite ones in other areas.
Geuss you kind of have to feel what you can say.

starrystarrynight

I won't read for health or legal questions, either. Flat out--no way.

But if I were faced with your situation, HC, I might have asked the gentleman why he wanted a health reading--not specifics--but to ascertain if he was looking for a diagnosis. And then I would explain why I was not qualified, ethically or legally, to render such a reading and suggest to him that his best course of action would be to seek professional guidance in that area.

A lot of times, when I've been asked to do a health reading, it's third party, anyway...someone wanting to know the goods on someone else (often for nefarious reasons.) And, of course, I won't do that, either...but as much on moral principles as on legal ones. That really grinds my beans.