Obsessive reader

Vespertina

Hello,
I'd like to ask you a question.
What do you think about a woman that reads everydays tarots asking the same thing?
She's one of my clients but she said me that she reads for helsef major arcana everydays with celtic cross.
I said to her that this is a way to loose control of the deck.
Am i wrong?
I think that being obsessive in readings makes the divination useless.

Alta

Vespertina said:
I think so as well. How could the situation be changing that quickly, doing that is a very poor way to use the tarot and obsessive seems the correct term.

Not sure what you mean by losing control of the deck, I would rather think it is more that you have lost control of yourself.

thorhammer

Vespertina said:
Hello,
She's one of my clients but she said me that she reads for helsef major arcana everydays with celtic cross.
I said to her that this is a way to loose control of the deck.
Am i wrong?
I'd think that using such a large spread with only 22 cards would be somewhat meaningless. As to the obsessive part, yes, I think it would make the use of the Tarot pointless.

In the end, it's 78 (or 22) bits of cardboard, so losing control of the deck might be a bit of a stretch, but Marion has it, your client seems to have lost control of herself. At some point, she has to realise that a voyeuristic approach to her own life is totally unproductive, and if she only stopped relying on something else to tell her what is happening and started to experience it herself, and make some decisions, she'd find herself a much happier and more empowered person.

For the record, I never use the CC. I think it's unnecessarily tangled and complicated. Sure, it looks impressive laid out, but there are hundreds of other spreads out there, and usually, I make up my own for the question or situation.

\m/ Kat

phoenixblu

it is slightly obsessive and seems she cant take the advice she is being told which means she will keep redealing untill she gets the answer she is wanting?
why not try advicing her to read just 3 cards a day?

EarthFaery

That does seem to be rather extreme and down right confusing, no wonder she reads on the same thing everyday.

starrystarrynight

vespertina said:
What do you think about a woman that reads everydays tarots asking the same thing?
I think she wants to get a different answer than the one she originally got from the very first reading on the topic...which probably made her unhappy.

FlyingWitch

It's stupid to ask the cards the same thing over and over again, every day until you get the answer you want. this means you don't respect the cards (or your abilities if you prefer) at all, that you don't trust them. So, what's the meaning of asking?

wytchwood

"Ask a stupid question and you'll get a stupid answer" seems appropriate here. I think this kind of behaviour is a bit scary, I do sometimes question someone's mental health when they behave like this! It is obsessive, even more so when it's the same question again and again. How can she get anything from a 10 card spread with a 22 card deck anyway? Just a set of abstract concepts that bear no relation to her issue, whatever that may be.

sleepingcat

Well- without given the context of her reading method, or the question she asks, I really cant judge. ^^;

Then again, I'm a tad ocd myself.

Perhaps for her the subtle changes mean more- not what cards are down but how they ebb and flow day to day through the spread and reserve. I can see how that could work..... actually I kinda wanna try it now.

But more likely than not, the obscessive action means somthing to her, even if it is grasping. It's more a symptom of an underlying problem and a futile waste of enegry that's misdirected.

ninashita

How can you help a person with this behaviour though?
My closest friend is like that too, she asks the same question (or related ones) around 5-10 times a day, and because she got to the conclusion that she cannot possibly read her own cards on the issue she asks me to do the interpretation for them - and it's getting impossible for me to be able to do read them too.