An incense question

Julien

Okay, so I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this was the best place...

I have a question about incense. I have EXTREMELY sensitive sinuses, and have found that certain scents as well as whatever the scent is coming from (i.e., candle, incense stick, etc.) really really bother me. BUT... Others don't.

So those of you who use incense a lot -- do you find that some brands/types of incense are problematic for visitors/clients/etc., while others aren't?

And, any insights into which brands/types of incense aren't problematic?

See, I really like burning incense -- before my sinuses went haywire, I did like to keep some in the house. However, nowadays I really need to take some care with it. I'm willing to try things, but I would love to hear if anyone has found particular scents/brands/types that seem to be kinder to sinuses than others???

Thank you.
Julien

avalonian

I find that any incense of the brand "Maroma" is very gentle and non-invasive, maybe because they give off very little smoke. Maybe you need to make a list of which ones you have a problem with and try to find what they have in common? Process of elimination etc etc.

Julien

Avalonian,

Thank you very much for the recommendation.

It's really the smoke most of the time, though certain scents clearly cause a problem as well. I seem to be all right with cinnamon, sandalwood, or other tree scents. But some of the others are tortuous.

Also, if the smoke is dark gray or if there's a lot of it, I have a problem (whether we're talking about incense or anything else -- smoky candles are hell, too). And, I really have been hesitant to do a lot of process of elimination because the "costs" (i.e., sinus headache that lasts several days) are very high if I stumble across the wrong thing.

I don't know the brand you just mentioned, but I'll look for it in my favorite esoteric store and see how it goes. :) Less smoke is important, I know.

Thanks.
Julien

.traveller.

I too have problems finding scents that don't give me headaches.

You might try Baieido's "EN SEI" line, it is expensive but wonderful scents and I didn't have a reaction to it. It is stick incense.

I've got white copal resin on my oil burner and that is going well. Some smoke, nice clean scent, no headache. My eyes are itchy, but they were like that before I lit the incense.

thorhammer

Julien, try going back to basics and putting incense resins and powders on a burning charcoal disc. It's a pain in the butt and you have to be careful not to set fire to anything, but the quality of smoke you get is so different to that of "joss" sticks. It's almost . . . smooth! I love "real" incense like this, but it's not the sort of thing you can just light and forget, like you can with a stick or cone. You have to kind of blend things, sometimes grind them or crush them, and constantly put bits on the disc - but I'm here to tell you, it's worth it. Frankincense is easily available, as is dragon's blood powder (a tree resin, btw), and sandalwood chips. Cinnamon bark would be something to try!

HTH,

\m/ Ka

avalonian

Julien

If it's any help, the pack says "Maroma Auroville India" (coincidentally, the one I have here is Cinnamon!). If you can't find it, let me know and I'll ask my favourite shop (esoteric, naturally) where they get it from.

Julien

Thank you -- all three of you. You've given me some ideas, and I'll look into getting the brands and/or following thorhammer's thoughts. I really, really appreciate the help.

Julien

HearthCricket

I am a little late coming into this, but I find I have the same similarities in responding to candles/incense as you do. I now only use 100% soy candles for burning as the other bothers me and leaves that horrible soot all over your house. You don't realize it until you have burnt things for a few years and have white walls and then move to paint and wonder where all the "ghosts" or "shadows" came from. Imagine what we are breathing in. Ugh!

I have really cut down on my incense usage because it does give off a lot of smoke, I often find myself coughing from it and I don't like the way it has permeated my curtains, tablecloth, rugs, etc. I may like it, but I don't particularly want that scent around all the time. Now I only keep Nag Champa (the purer kind that comes in the red, white and blue box) and rarely burn anything else. In fact, some sticks smell so stronly, you don't even have to light them for scents. Just put a few out in a bowl without lighting them and you will be surprised at how quickly it scents a room or two up!

BodhiSeed

HearthCricket said:
Now I only keep Nag Champa (the purer kind that comes in the red, white and blue box) and rarely burn anything else. In fact, some sticks smell so stronly, you don't even have to light them for scents. Just put a few out in a bowl without lighting them and you will be surprised at how quickly it scents a room or two up!

I'm also a Nag Champa fan (of the red, white and blue box from India) because I'm so sensitive to scents. I like to leave mine out in a vase to "air out" for a few weeks before I use them. It does scent the air like HC said, and those that have been left out seem to have a nicer fragrance. I also cut my sticks in half, so they don't burn quite as long (my meditation room is very small).
Here's the brand I use and a website I've bought from before:
http://www.bytheplanet.com/LineItems.cfm?brand=11150&productline=SAI BAB &SubCategory=497D

Bodhran

Julien

Thank you HC and Bodhran -- I just checked out the website, and this looks to be a good resource. I live out in the middle of no where, and the nearest city is about 2 hours away. Usually my favorite little shop here in town can get me anything I want, but Internet resources are truly necessary.

Julien