Was "forced" to do a reading

rwcarter

My partner's younger brother and his girlfriend stayed with us over the weekend. She's into astrology and when she saw my tarot collection, of course she wanted a reading. I don't often do readings for other people, so I gave a noncommital answer. We were discussing how one knew how many cards to pull and I explained about spreads and card positions and the like. To illustrate the point, I pulled out a book of tarot spreads, which I just happened to open to a New Relationship spread.

I left the room for a couple of minutes and when I came back she'd pulled the cards for the spread using the Gilded Tarot (my partner's copy that he'd pulled out to perpetuate the myth about the Fool). She wanted me to interpret the cards for her.

I was hesitant at first cause I have a shuffling ritual that I go through. And since I was out of the room, I had no clue as to how she picked the cards. I didn't feel connected to the selection process at all, so I didn't know how well I'd be able to interpret the cards. And while I love the Gilded, I've never actually used it in a reading before. Plus it was my partner's deck. I have two copies of my own. I would have used a different deck (Vargo's Gothic, the Robin Wood or the Navigators) had I been able.

I did a quick overview of the cards with her. I had a problem with a couple of the cards and had to find the companion book for the deck to get a better idea of what the intention behind the cards were. She seemed pleased with the overview, and I probably could've stopped there and she would've been happy.

Oh, but not me. I took the cards and the book back to the study where my laptop is and, using Excel, recreated the layout and typed up a more in-depth interpretation for her including elemental interactions for the various cards in the spread. It took me a good two hours to do (which is why I don't normally read for others) and ended up being three printed pages.

She was blown away, not only that I did all that, but also at how accurate I was about the things I said. (This was the first time I'd met her.) After reading what I'd written for her, my partner's brother was even more surprised at how accurate I was considering I'd only just looked at some cards and got all that information about her and their relationship.

All in all, a great, if not strange, experience. It definitely boosted my confidence for reading for other people.

Rodney

Lexie

Well done! It seems like a good start if you're interested in reading for others... I wish I could do it too ( I only read for myself and people very close to me). Maybe this happened just for you to find out that you can be really good in reading for strangers.. Would you be interested in being a professional? if yes, keep practising in face-to-face readings with others! :) but even if you have no intention to be a professional it's always nice to see that you become better in reading with Tarot cards.. I hope someday I'll find the courage to do it also..

starrystarrynight

Bravo, Rodney!

I agree with Lexie...this was likely "meant to be". What a great experience!

rwcarter

Thanks for the reply Lexie. Do I want to turn professional? I look at tarot much like I do knitting - they're both hobbies that I enjoy and if I try to turn either of them into a job, I won't enjoy them as much. I already have a job that allows me to buy yarn and tarot decks and books, and I really don't want a second job.

But to have the reading turn out so well given the weird circumstances was definitely a confidence booster!

Rodney

Lexie

rwcarter said:
Thanks for the reply Lexie. Do I want to turn professional? I look at tarot much like I do knitting - they're both hobbies that I enjoy and if I try to turn either of them into a job, I won't enjoy them as much. I already have a job that allows me to buy yarn and tarot decks and books, and I really don't want a second job.

But to have the reading turn out so well given the weird circumstances was definitely a confidence booster!

Rodney

I think I know what you mean when you say that if you turn tarot into a job you won't enjoy it that much anymore.. yes, this could happen.. but you can always do readings for others and being helpful without being a professional.. in any case I'm sure you are very good at it... :)

Little Hare

Its great to hear such a positive experiance! :) whenever i've been inadvertantly 'forced' to read for someone i find i don't connect at all and come away feeling crappy and used.

Its really great that it has boosted your confidence! :heart:

CONGRATS!

firefrost

When people express an interest in my cards, I usually end up pulling half the cards out of the deck and telling them what they mean.

I suppose one day I'll get round to turning this into a reading...

Well done, Rodney, your confidence is growing!

ruski_svet

Awesome job, rw. You put a lot of work into that reading, especially since you didn't feel up to it before. I can't read for weeks if I'm not in mood, although I'd like to.

Tarot and knitting, too, huh? I work at a bookstore and can get decks and books at a discount, which I ended up doing when everyone else was getting presents. We don't sell yarn, though, or my paychecks wouldn't leave the place.

Tomsde

I was "forced" too. . .I was online last night and someone saw in my profile that I was into Tarot cards and reading. I want to read for people online, but I was tired and he was very persistent so I did a 5 card spread. It seemed to accurately access the situation of his relationship, which was the thing that was most on his mind. It's very rewarding when you read for people you don't or hardly know and they say that you've helped them gain insight into a situation.

HearthCricket

Good for you, Rodney! It is nice to hear it all came out in a positive manner and that you took the reins by the hand and went into a full gallop from there! I think we sometimes need that push to let us see what we really can accomplish, and the timing must have been just right for you! Congrats! :)