PDA

View Full Version : Crystals/herbs for itching/inflamed skin

OrbWeaver
17-12-2007, 02:42
I was wondering if there are any crystals I could carry, or herbs I could use for itching/inflamed skin in a rather...sensitive area. I've already seen a doctor about a pre-existing problem, and the medicine they've given me to treat it has the very common side effect of inflamed, itchy skin around the affected area. I was told not to worry about it if this happens, but the itching and discomfort is driving me batty.

I've been using an anti-itch cream that's safe to use in that area, and it helps a bit, but I was wondering if there is something more natural that might work better, in the mean time. I'm especially interested in reducing the swelling.

Thanks. :)

thorhammer
17-12-2007, 06:29
I personally would try liquid witch hazel extract. But usually that contains alcohol, so it might sting like a mother . . . you know. If you're close to a good health foods shop, try finding some dried witch hazel bark and make a tincture of that, use the liquid as a balm. Otherwise, if you do find some already bottled stuff that does contain alcohol, you could try heating it gently, as alcohol has a lower boiling point than water, which is the other main ingredient. Don't boil it, though, as it could destroy any "goodness".

In my experience, I'm the best person to tell me what I need to put on something. My own intuition leads me to find the right thing, usually. What do you feel drawn to? Oily stuff, like olive oil or cocoa butter? Or watery stuff? Essential oils in a carrier oil (olive does well and is readily available) are nice for skin problems, just be careful that you don't have a sensitivity, and the one you choose doesn't cause side-effects (like citrus EO's causing photosensitivity). Lavender is gentle, safe and very effective. Jojoba would also be great.

I hope this helps, and that your nasty rash gets better real soon. I've got a nasty scalp thing going on, too, so I know where you're at. Mine's just stress, though . .*sigh*

\m/ Kat

NUTTYCHICK
17-12-2007, 06:58
you could try some chamomile oil this is soothing and will help reduce swelling, 8 drops in egg cup of milk added to bath water sit in bath for at least half hour .

phoenixblu
17-12-2007, 07:03
chamomile, lavender or aloevera?

BodhiSeed
17-12-2007, 07:10
I think Aveeno makes an oatmeal bath for you to soak in. It's finely ground so you don't have big glops of oatmeal in your tub. :D

Bodhran

phoenixblu
17-12-2007, 07:39
yes they do .. if its from ezema.. try the goats milk bubble bath you see...

personall i stick to baby bubble bath.. doesnt make me itch :D

but chamomile may be the way forward... worked for chicken pox!

you could try Lush (the shop) see what they have.. they are all natural :D

OrbWeaver
17-12-2007, 07:42
I might try that oatmeal bath idea.

I was hoping to maybe make a warm compress out of dried herbs. Obviously they wouldn't be dry once wrapped in a compress. I was mostly thinking along the lines of an herbal tea.

With Chamomile, can I use Chamomile tea bags at all, as a sort of compress? I think I have some Chamomile tea somewhere around here, and if I can use that it would save my parents (I'm home from tedious grad studies for winter break) a trip to the store.

The chamomile oil in a bath might be nice too.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. :)

For now, the anti-itch ointment is helping for the itchin, but the inflamed skin is aweful. I really, really hate side-effects. :P

Brief addendum: On an unrelated note, I was feeling sick around 12:30PM CST today, and when I got on this forum just now, I started feeling better. Whoever is putting out "Get well" vibes for others, I think it's helping me by proxy. :D Thanks!

NUTTYCHICK
17-12-2007, 09:13
You Can Use Tea Bags Put In Pillowcase Or Similar Under Hot Running Tap I Would Use About 3 /4 Or Make A Tea And Douche With It .
Hope This Helps
Carol

phoenixblu
17-12-2007, 09:18
oooh good idea i've actually done this by opening a chamomile teabag into some cheesecloth!

Sonic
17-12-2007, 11:48
eczema on my calf and have had it for 5 years now. Medicated gold bond reduces redness and has actually started to heal the outside and no more itching! It's a god send. But I have also recently learned that an acidic intestine is the cause of eczema and of course my dietary intake needs to change.

Hope it helps!

Dancing Bear
18-12-2007, 16:24
If it is eczema you are initially dealing with, and the ointment you are usig is causing a rash around the surrounding area, I hope i have read this right....

Eczema can vary mild to acute and at times can bleed..
So caution will be needed even if you only are using the ointment on the itch and not the eczema..
Burdock is a fantastic Herb for eczema..btw..
As is Hearts Ease (Viola tricolour) It is gentle but strong, not only good for eczema but a variety of skin rashes and itches due to allergies, A good local herb shop should already have it ground for you... 1 ounce of Hearts Ease mixed with a fixture.. Now a fixture can be of a pure oil from your supermarket, and many use Lard, Lanolin is more expensive but highly recommended unless you dont mind using Lard..Making an ointment can be a long day LOL! But well worth it..
Put your 1 oz Hearts Ease into a saucepan, and 16 oz of Lard , Lanolin or pure oil.. you bring it to a simmer allow it to simmer for app 2 minutes and take off heat, allow it to cool, repeat this process over the day.. many swear by doing this over a 24 hour period to get maximum affects of herbs..
DO NOT allow to BOIL!

find a nice little air tight jar you can scoop your ointment into after it is made, a used baby food jar is perfect..

good luck with the itch...

DB xxx

p.s those with extreme skin allergies it is highly recommended to try a very small area first, before applying liberally..

Nevermore
10-01-2008, 13:34
ditto on the baby products. Like johnson & johnsons, usually available in most stores' baby aisles. Plus the smell is rather nice!
Same with aloevera.
I've got eczema and anything with avocado, aloe vera, oatmeal, honey is gentle but effective.

HearthCricket
10-01-2008, 23:48
I have really sensitive skin and I use Johnson Baby lotion, but also lots of Aveeno products, especially the lotions. I also use oatmeal and lavender soap from Yardley of London. Witch Hazel is very soothing for things like mosquitoe bites or mixed in with other things so it isn't too drying, and aloe is a wonderful healing product. Best of luck with this. It may be a bit of trial and error before you find something you really like, but I would go for the Aveeno and Yardley products first, as Johnson does have a lot of alcohol in their products and that can be drying for specific skin conditions. :)

missycab
11-01-2008, 00:35
I think Aloe vera is a good option. At home we have a small plant that is useful for this kind of things.