PDA

View Full Version : Buddy/Ignore lists in our UserCP

AJ
28-12-2007, 03:55
can someone explain how this works? If I put someone on an ignore list does it mean their posts no longer appear in a thread I'm reading? (hope hope)
Or does it just reject PM's? (which aren't likely from this person)
thanks!

Fire Cat
28-12-2007, 03:57
In a post, you would see a message instead of their post. There is an otion to view the post that will not take them off your ignore list.

As long as this person is on "Ignore" they will not be able to contact you. They can still read your posts though.

AJ
28-12-2007, 05:40
thanks Kilts, what a great tool.
I can't believe in a forum this big someone irritates me enough to put on a list like that, but hey, some days the petty old crone in me comes out and screeches "I can't take any more!"

Fire Cat
28-12-2007, 05:43
I call it my "ig-snore" button because sometimes people bore me.

AJ
28-12-2007, 06:43
*snort*.
How is your vacation going?? Doing anything fun?
We took 9 days over Thanksgiving with lots of plans, none of which happened ;) But we got lots of snooze time and maybe in the end that was what we needed.

HearthCricket
28-12-2007, 13:44
thanks Kilts, what a great tool.
I can't believe in a forum this big someone irritates me enough to put on a list like that, but hey, some days the petty old crone in me comes out and screeches "I can't take any more!"

Well, I certainly know how you feel and have done the same. Invoking St. Ignorus is a great feature, but always a pity that it needs to be used.

Emily
28-12-2007, 18:46
When you put someone on ignore, will they know? I've not had to use this feature yet and this is something I've always wondered about.

Debra
28-12-2007, 18:49
I've got some "buddies" and the only thing I see different is that if I look at "who's online" there's a little plus + sign beside their name. I always wondered if there was some other better feature I've been missing out on, for example, that shows me what they've been doing since I've been on-line or if they've got a new haircut or the like ;)

I don't know if anyone is ignoring me but if not I'd be surprised--I annoy myself sometimes!

Lexie
28-12-2007, 19:15
I've got some "buddies" and the only thing I see different is that if I look at "who's online" there's a little plus + sign beside their name. I always wondered if there was some other better feature I've been missing out on, for example, that shows me what they've been doing since I've been on-line or if they've got a new haircut or the like ;)

I don't know if anyone is ignoring me but if not I'd be surprised--I annoy myself sometimes!

I don't see any difference with my "buddy" list also.. but I'm not a very observant person.. Don't worry about being annoying, I think we all are sometimes (OK, some of us are more than others!). I hope I'm not in someone's "ignore list", I always try to be polite and understanding and I respect everybody's opinion...but if I am, I would appreciate if he/she'd let me know first by PM or anything and tell me what did I do wrong.. that way I could improve my behaviour :)

Sulis
28-12-2007, 22:52
When you put someone on ignore, will they know? I've not had to use this feature yet and this is something I've always wondered about.

No they don't know if you put them on 'ignore'... The list is for you, not them.

When you 'ignore' someone you see where their posts are but you don't see the post unless you choose to.
They won't be able to contact you either but they won't know, their pms to you will be sent but you don't get them.

Grizabella
29-12-2007, 04:57
I don't use the Buddy List for some reason. I guess just because I've never gotten around to it.

I don't use the Ignore thing, either. I just skip over the posts of the ones who are prone to bothering me if they bother me that much. Usually nobody bothers me that much. If I'm in a discussion that gets "too, too" then I just bow out and go on to other things.

I have to add, though, that I try to explore exactly why someone is bothering me in the first place. Usually it's not them, it's me, bottom line. Me and my ego, mostly. :)

Sulis
29-12-2007, 05:10
I have to add, though, that I try to explore exactly why someone is bothering me in the first place. Usually it's not them, it's me, bottom line. Me and my ego, mostly. :)

This is the best thing in this thread. I completely agree.

Fire Cat
29-12-2007, 05:12
I have only ignored someone because they either insulted me or were sending me PMs that didn't make any sense. Either of these behaviors is a bore.

firefrost
29-12-2007, 06:17

I don't know, there's someone perilously close to mine as well!

Lol...I've never used my buddy list, either...Just call me 'ickle billy no mates...!'

Lillie
29-12-2007, 09:50
I think that when I put someone on ignore they should get a notification to tell them I have done so.

Or where is the fun in it?

mythos
29-12-2007, 10:34
I think that when I put someone on ignore they should get a notification to tell them I have done so.

Funny ... but Egad Lillie. I've only had to use it once. I was being stalked. Obviously someone from my own country - state - capital city. Changed emails and phone number and had to threaten the person with police intervention when the person kept arriving on my doorstep. It was scary.

mythos:)

Emily
30-12-2007, 04:20

That is what I thought too Lillie - if someone irritated me enough to put them on ignore, then I'd like them to know, especially if they were still sending emails and thinking that they were being delivered. :)

Debra
30-12-2007, 06:56
Yea, but the whole idea is to IGNORE them--to "rise above" their petty little selves, as they are but little gnats buzzing about the forum, so unimportant we can barely see them, they are invisible nothings.

Not quite the same as sticking out your tongue, NYAH NYAH I'M IGNORING YOU, YOU, I CAN"T HEAR YOU! :P

celticnoodle
30-12-2007, 07:40
I don't use the Buddy List for some reason. I guess just because I've never gotten around to it.

I don't use the Ignore thing, either. I just skip over the posts of the ones who are prone to bothering me if they bother me that much. Usually nobody bothers me that much. If I'm in a discussion that gets "too, too" then I just bow out and go on to other things.

I have to add, though, that I try to explore exactly why someone is bothering me in the first place. Usually it's not them, it's me, bottom line. Me and my ego, mostly. :)I don't use the Buddy LIst or the Ignore list either. There have been a few threads that I find a bit bothersome, but it's their opinions and my own on things, and of course you will find that anywhere. There have been a few people as well who have bothered me, but hey, it could have been an off day for them or even for me. I pretty much do as you do Solitaire, when I find a thread that is bothersome, or a person that is bothersome -- I just leave it and go on to another thread that I do find to be enjoyable.

I shudder to think that I may be one of those bothersome people, and hope that I am not. But, hey, you can't be adored by everyone, right? :laugh: It's probably a good idea that we don't know if we are on the 'ignore' list.

Lillie
30-12-2007, 09:00
Yea, but the whole idea is to IGNORE them--to "rise above" their petty little selves, as they are but little gnats buzzing about the forum, so unimportant we can barely see them, they are invisible nothings.

Not quite the same as sticking out your tongue, NYAH NYAH I'M IGNORING YOU, YOU, I CAN"T HEAR YOU! :P

But I like doing that.... :(

Debra
30-12-2007, 12:53
But I like doing that.... :(

ME TOO! I can never rise above... (sigh)

cheekyminx
30-12-2007, 16:10
Hmm interesting thread ;)

I haven't put anyone on ignore :D If only there was an ignore button in childcare LOL now that I would pay to use.

The crowned one
30-12-2007, 16:56
There are certain people who's posts I seek out as I find them either funny, intelligent or well informed on their special topics...but I have not used the ignore feature to avoid some of the heavier winds that blow through here now and then..

I am one sometimes, I can take a very long route to make a very short point.
But usually for good reason :)

Occasionally some posts/ers are like road kill, I know I am going to hate what I see, still I just can't help looking. My own weakness. ;)

firefrost
30-12-2007, 18:37
There are certain people who's posts I seek out as I find them either funny, intelligent or well informed on their special topics...;)

Well, I think I can safely cross myself off that particular list...! :D

cheekyminx
30-12-2007, 18:44
Well, I think I can safely cross myself off that particular list...! :D
LOL firefrost, ME TOO! :laugh: Gemini thing? ;)

firefrost
30-12-2007, 19:06
LOL firefrost, ME TOO! :laugh: Gemini thing? ;)

Lol...Probably! :D

Now get back on topic or I'll put ya on iggy - Kidding, kidding..!!

:D :D

gregory
31-12-2007, 09:32
Actually the only people here I have until a couple of weeks ago considered putting on ignore I would have told them I was doing (as I did on another forum where I had to ignore a couple of people to survive...)

But the couple of people here I have recently thought of doing wouldn't even get it if I did tell them.... No-one who has posted in this thread, BTW.... ;)

(Surely though, if your PMs etc cannot be sent because of this, the software would tell you ? I think I shall organise a test....)

Lillie
31-12-2007, 10:02
Try ignoring me and send a PM and I'll tell you if anything happened.

By the way, I have checked this out so I know it's true.
When you make someone a buddy you get a little plus sign next to their name on the big list at the bottom.
But when someone is on ignore you do not get a little minus sign.
Which is sort of sad.

gregory
31-12-2007, 21:34
Try ignoring me and send a PM and I'll tell you if anything happened.

By the way, I have checked this out so I know it's true.
When you make someone a buddy you get a little plus sign next to their name on the big list at the bottom.
But when someone is on ignore you do not get a little minus sign.
Which is sort of sad.
Yeah - I had hoped for that too... then there IS someone I would ignore, just to show them..... (but wait, they won't see it if they aren't ME..... *slaps forehead*)

Ignoring you and PMing now, Lillie baby..... (I can't keep it up for long sweetie....)

Oops - more to the point - YOU PM ME and see if you are allowed to........... or if it just goes into the ether..........

PS OOOH ignored posts look funny.....

starrystarrynight
01-01-2008, 10:29
You guys are TOO funny. I would ignore someone, too, except I like the interaction of actually ignoring them in person on the forum. :D

Besides, sometimes they make a$$es of themselves, and I wouldn't want to miss that.

You may all ignore me now. I won't know. :)

Lillie
01-01-2008, 12:07
This is interesting.

Gregory had me on ignore...

Probably still does...

And I tried sending her a pm.

It seemed to send ok, and it's there in my sent mail....
But I put one of them tracker thingies on it, and that isn't appearing anywhere.
When I click track message it says I am not tracking one, like the message disappeared into the ether!

Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice!

gregory
01-01-2008, 21:49
I do NOT. I couldn't bear it. Not least having to open all her posts individually.

The PM never arrived. Not even after I stopped ignoring her. But mine to her did.

Alta
01-01-2008, 23:42
I am not a really technical person, but having done these experiments earlier myself:

If you put someone on Ignore:
-they can send you PM's, but you won't receive them and they won't know that you didn't.
- you can send them a PM and it will be delivered.... unless they have mutually chosen to Ignore you!
- their posts will be in the thread, and you will have the option of peeking at individual posts, but otherwise they will be blanked with a notice something like: "You have chosen to ignore this person's posts".

If you put someone on Your Buddy list:

- a little + will show up next to their name in the Who's Online list.
- you can send them, or a group of them, PM's quickly and easily:
--- Go to Quick Links (drop-down menu, upper right) and choose "Open Buddy List". Tick box the names of your Buddies and click PM Users (button at the bottom) and a new PM form will pop up with their names already properly inserted with semi-colons, etc.

Edited to add: I was just playing with the Buddy list. Not sure how long it could be. Every time I added more names and Updated, it gave me two new spaces at the bottom.

Also, it alphabetizes the list every Update, so even if you try and 'group' names, you are foiled. :)

Lillie
02-01-2008, 07:29
Interesting....

So I can't find out who has me on ignore...

Think............................................. ..

Ah!
I make insulting posts about them and if they moan it means they read it!!!

Clever or what?

mythos
02-01-2008, 10:08
Trés clever Lillie:D. Of course, if you are ignoring me, you won't get this. I wonder what would happen if I tried ignoring myself? Everybody in my human (as opposed to cyber) life ignores me all the time. I'm thinking that maybe I should do it too and then I will be universally ignored and maybe it won't bother me because I will be ignoring myself being bothered :bugeyed:. Definitely has possibilities though:D

Lillie
02-01-2008, 10:20
(((((((((Mythos))))))))))

course I'm not ignoring you!

I'm not ignoring anyone.

I just like the idea of it!

(not the idea of ignoring you. The idea of being able to click a button and ignore anyone)

6 Haunted Days
02-01-2008, 13:29
The only person I ever ignored on AT joined this site just to send me PM's and stalk me. He's none too bright because clicking the ignore feature took all of 2 seconds.

It's easy to just scroll past people's post that are annoying or boring.

firefrost
02-01-2008, 18:23
It's easy to just scroll past people's post that are annoying or boring.

Amen to that.

gregory
02-01-2008, 23:56
:D ff

Most sites I know you can't ignore yourself (one I visit actually says "you can't ignore yourself, silly !" if you try.... - yes, OK, I just had to see....)

But what I want to know is WHERE DID LILLIE'S PM TO ME GO ? I really thought it might appear once I unignored her.... It's not like this software to lose anything.....

HearthCricket
03-01-2008, 00:34

Most sites I know you can't ignore yourself (one I visit actually says "you can't ignore yourself, silly !" if you try.... - yes, OK, I just had to see....)

But what I want to know is WHERE DID LILLIE'S PM TO ME GO ? I really thought it might appear once I unignored her.... It's not like this software to lose anything.....

lol Go through Stargate, take left, look up into posting tree, look for Lillie's pms.

:D

AJ
03-01-2008, 02:46
In spite of taking a tongue lashing :) and having a post removed on this thread, :( all I can say is AT is bliss again. I'm glad we have that ignore option.

Fire Cat
03-01-2008, 03:31
(one I visit actually says "you can't ignore yourself, silly !" if you try.... - yes, OK, I just had to see....)

:D:D:D:D:D

gregory
03-01-2008, 04:17
:D:D:D:D:D

..})..

thinbuddha
03-01-2008, 05:28
With such a tool available to you, if you are reading this post, you have to ask yourself, "Why?".

:smoker:

Debra
03-01-2008, 05:30
Better watch out, ThinBuddha--comments like that will end you up on our BUDDY lists!

The crowned one
03-01-2008, 06:25
I find I do not need the help of a ignore list to be ignored ;)

TomTom
03-01-2008, 06:56

He, he, me either not :D

On the other hand, I don't have many posts yet.

Thinking about it, if I would send a pm to so and so thinking it went through, and don't receive an answer because they didn't know that I PMed, wouldn't that create sort of an animosity? (Not thinking of harassment or stalking - totally different ball game)

Nevertheless, its good to know what an ignore and buddy list is.

TomTom

gregory
03-01-2008, 08:22
Better watch out, ThinBuddha--comments like that will end you up on our BUDDY lists!
:?: I don't know what this refers to..... })

mythos
03-01-2008, 09:39
(((((((((Mythos))))))))))

course I'm not ignoring you!

Awwwww! Ta muchly ... I feel like I exist:love:.

I just had to try too ... and dammit ... I can't ignore myself. How undemocratic is that:mad:!

With such a tool available to you, if you are reading this post, you have to ask yourself, "Why?".

:smoker:

'Cos you are a 'thinbuddha' of course. Wisdom expected at all times:D

Awwwww! I wouldn't ignore you .... unless you wanted me too, of course? Then I would be just as obliging })

thinbuddha
03-01-2008, 10:28
'Cos you are a 'thinbuddha' of course. Wisdom expected at all times:D

The "thin" is for the wisdom, not the physique.

-tb

moderndayruth
23-01-2008, 09:21
Some six or seven months ago i red couple of posts of some i-know-just-about-everything-better-than-just-about-anyone guy here...
I mean there are guys here (we know who they are ;) ) who are imo literally wells of wisdom and knowledge... well, he wasn't one of them... actually he was trying to explain to people whom most of us really respect that they "don't really get it"...
To make the long story short - i wish i knew about the "ignore" option back than - what i did was complex "protection" meditation so i don't "meet" the guy again... (i didn't see any of his posts later on, he might have left AT as well )...
...which reminds me of a story i read somewhere of the widower who prayed to G-d for a miracle - to "make" him breasts to feed his infant - he thought it was easier than to get a job :D
Btw, is there a way that i can know when some of my "buddies" make new posts? There are "purple people " whose posts are "must" for me, but i count on synchronicity to find them... i guess there is some far more mundane way to track their posts :)

AJ
23-01-2008, 09:43
MDR If you look at the dark grey line above where the posts start at the top of the page, you will see 3 options. You need to click on the little ^ arrow by Thread Tools, the drop down file will let you select Watch Thread.

I've never done it, I read everything here, by clicking on New Posts when I come in :) but you could try it and report back...
It's probably because I read everything that my original question came up...and I have to say, I love that ignore button.

Teacups
23-01-2008, 09:54
it's not really a conversation, if we're all ignoring each other though :(

When somebody hurts my feelings, I just quit reading AT for awhile, and come back in a week or so.

I wouldn't want to know how many people's lists I'm on.... :(

I have several people on my buddy list, but I haven't figured out how that helps me. I really haven't figured out how to use that once you've put someone on it

moderndayruth
23-01-2008, 10:10
MDR If you look at the dark grey line above where the posts start at the top of the page, you will see 3 options. You need to click on the little ^ arrow by Thread Tools, the drop down file will let you select Watch Thread.

I've never done it, I read everything here, by clicking on New Posts when I come in :) but you could try it and report back...

AJ, before (maybe half a year ago), i used to get e-mail notification when i would mark the thread as "watched" and there was a new post... than it stopped and we discussed it in "technical" section- i am among very few people for whom this notification seems not to work :confused:
Anyway, i also go to "new posts" and to user's cp (it took me a while to learn that ;) ), but what i'd like to have among "buddy" options is a way for me to know when my buddies (you for example :heart:) make new posts - you know, i think i miss a lot because of the time difference- sometimes there are like ten pages of new posts when i wake up and it's almost impossible for me to hunt down all of the posts that are important for me :(

Teacups
23-01-2008, 10:28
well, I've learned a LOT of tech support things in this thread.

Alta
23-01-2008, 10:39
This a Forum for Tech Support issues. I understand that to a certain extent there will stories and discussion, but keep in mind that when the stories get to be about current members, who may not be in a position to defend themselves, it gets pretty unacceptable.

Marion

Fire Cat
23-01-2008, 10:45
Is there no way to report such activity and have 'said person' removed? or I suppose they would log on again under different name, right?

But you can always log in as invisible & they woudln't even know you are online.

AJ
23-01-2008, 11:30
no one is stalking anyone that I know of.

MDR. Sounds like you are a 'special case' tech-wise. You will be required to send me $500.00 and a copy of your book. In return I will send you 3 'special case' candles. (If you want wicks that will be an additional charge)

Rosanne
16-12-2008, 07:25
I am curious about the fact that you do not know you are on ignored by someone. Especially if that someone has started a thread, or you ask questions on that thread.
I guess you might wonder- but I would not mind knowing if you are on their ignore list- as you could stay away from their threads, not ask questions into thin air etc etc.
I actually do not believe in censorship when adults are communicating- even if we are acting like children (or worse) It seems that I would be censoring someone, if I put them on ignore. Everyone has the right to be heard,except when abusive- then you have forfeited your rights- so the abuse just gets deleted. There is no gain if you do not learn how you are an irritant.
So really I am asking or wondering about two things....
Why ignore?
If someone does put you on ignore- is there someway you can find out and try and correct the reason you are on ignore?

(Thanks for the earlier study into self ignoring- it was a hoot!)
~Rosanne

moderndayruth
16-12-2008, 09:53
no one is stalking anyone that I know of.

MDR. Sounds like you are a 'special case' tech-wise. You will be required to send me $500.00 and a copy of your book. In return I will send you 3 'special case' candles. (If you want wicks that will be an additional charge)

LOL, i missed this one, AJ, pm-ing you ;) (no, $500.00 not included :D)

gregory
19-12-2008, 09:21
If someone does put you on ignore- is there someway you can find out and try and correct the reason you are on ignore?

I don't know about finding out why someone is ignoring you - but if you think anyone in particular is, send them a PM and try and track it. Lillie and I tested that a while back.... I ignored her; she sent me a PM, I didn't get it; she couldn't track it, and when I unignored her it had vanished into cyberspace.... so if you try and track a message and can't.....

moderndayruth
19-12-2008, 11:15
~Rosanne
OT and kidding ... ;)
I wouldn't know for the second part of the question, but i guess a good tactic to find out whether someone ignores you (general you, not- you, Rosanne ;)) - is to insult them badly... Ok, first time they might miss it due to various reasons, second time they might forgive/forget, but if repeatidly and intentionally pushung their buttons without having an 'appropriate' response... *sigh* ... you've been on 'iggy' (http://djdestruction.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/lolcat.jpg) :D

NOTA BENE: this post was made for humorous motives only and does not in any way promote disrespectful posting :D

Debra
20-12-2008, 16:05
I find the "ignore" feature to be delightful.

I can see that someone has posted, but to see what they actually wrote, I have to make a conscious decision to click on "read this post anyway even though I'm intending to ignore its thoroughly annoying author."

It's like seeing someone's lips move from across a crowded room. "Do I really want to know what the Thoroughly Annoying One is saying?" Do I decide to move closer, and hear what they have to say, or do I stay put and listen to others who are more interesting, less toxic to my well-being?

Yoga teachers say: energy follows attention. "Ignore" allows better control of energy. I use it rarely, and always with great relief.

moderndayruth
20-12-2008, 16:24
It's like seeing someone's lips move from across a crowded room. "Do I really want to know what the Thoroughly Annoying One is saying?" Do I decide to move closer, and hear what they have to say, or do I stay put and listen to others who are more interesting, less toxic to my well-being?
That's how i see it too :D

Yoga teachers say: energy follows attention. "Ignore" allows better control of energy. I use it rarely, and always with great relief.
Right... i perfectly realize 'thoroughly annoying ones' might be as well some of my own thoroughly annoying aspects (as was mentioned before in this thread), but do i need to keep up with those 'aspects of mine' 24/7? Not really :D
I mean, if i am indeed working on transforming some of my own qualities that might not be that cool, isn't it healthier for me to read more posts by folks here whom i believe already mastered that, who are more proactive and constructive than me, wiser than me and more sharing?
One of my spiritual teachers encouraged us to make a list of five people we hold in high respect, who are like role models to us
(any five people, could be hystorycal personalities, could be your own family, as you wish), basically they represent some of our own potential that might be developed, one does not recognize what one does not already have in themselves, at least at a seed level. That being said, if i find someone to be rude, bullyng or whatsoever, why would i focus my energy on them? Do i want those qualities developed in my own self? Not really ;)

DevilishAngel
10-09-2012, 01:38
So if you put someone on the ignore list they can still see your posts?

Sulis
10-09-2012, 04:09
So if you put someone on the ignore list they can still see your posts?

Yes, they can see your posts but you can't see their's unless you choose to.