Question about sunstone

Grizabella

I have a crystal point that isn't like anything I'm familiar with. Can anyone tell me if sunstone is a crystal---as in coming with crystal points like amethyst and clear quartz and others---or is it found just in chunks?

The reason I ask is this:

I went to my son's on Christmas Day. He and his wife go garage-saling and Goodwilling and the like all year long, so they collect some very cool stuff. They had this one thing that, to begin with, just looked like a lump of brass someone had dripped into a big lump from a molten state. Looking more closely, though, it proved to be a crystal point someone had made a freeform pendant out of by dripping molten brass all over the base of it to enclose it. I thought it was an amethyst because the light wasn't good and amethyst is commonly used here. They gave it to me, saying to do something with it if I wanted to.

The next day I got to looking at it in daylight and it's a color like peach jam, not an amethyst or ametrine color. So I thought maybe citrine, but then it's got all these sparkly effects inside and I thought maybe it was fractures. So many fractures would cause the crystal to fall apart, though, and looking closer yet, I can see that it's like little sparkly bits of metal or something inside. The closest thing I can find on an internet search is sunstone, which is found here in Oregon in one particular place, so that would make sense that someone might have gotten a sunstone crystal and made a pendant out of it. But the sites where I could find pictures of sunstones showed people with handsful of them and I couldn't tell if they were in crystal point form.

So does anyone know if sunstone occurs in crystal point form? If it does, then that's probably what this crystal is. That would be very cool. It's a honkin' big pendant but still cool.

StellarMyst

Hi Solitaire! :D

Pm'd you. ;) :D PM back when you can.
Hope it will help.

Blessings,

StellarMyst

HearthCricket

Hmm...sounds lovely! I recently saw a nice piece of sunstone, but it was not a crystal, so not sure about that part. It was a rather mottled orange piece with shiny gold flecks or spots in it, as you moved it around. Lovely stone. Do you have a picture of your new crystal?

Grizabella

My daughter is going to try to get a good picture of it and upload it for me. The stuff inside is called schiller, I think. And I don't know of many crystals that have schiller inside except sunstone, but obviously, I'm not any kind of stone expert. My first father-in-law was a rockhound and did his own cutting and making of jewelry, but I don't remember him showing me any sunstone or seeing any crystals with schiller. It's not rutilated quartz of any kind, though, because there are no threads in it.

Grizabella

Well, my daughter took a couple of pretty good pictures but she can't upload them. Her computer has Vista and I think maybe it's not compatible with our internet or something. I'm using the girls' eMachine and her thumb drive won't work with it, either, so I guess we're stuck. Thank you for all who have tried to help. I'm going to see if I can find the answer to my question by doing some more internet searches, though.

Sonic

omg that's just gorgeous.. I don't think I've ever seen one.

HearthCricket

That is beautiful! The cut and polish really does bring out so much shine and glitter to it! What a lovely piece!

Ruby7

I am quite familiar with Sunstone and it definitely looks like Sunstone to me. It is a lovely piece.

All the best,
Ruby7