I Give Homework!

Satori

Yup. I do. I warn people in advance, sometimes, that my readings may be unlike anything they have ever experienced. I read the cards, but as I read I get lots of side info that pops up for people. I may think of a book about the topic we are discussing that would help them, I might think of a crystal or a meditation or even a chore or game or practice that they can do/get/begin. And I tell them, this is your homework. Of course it is their choice if they do the homework, but I am very sure many of the folks do it because I have had them tell me later they did it!

Problem is that I don't always remember what I tell people to do for homework, so, if they come up to me and say, "I did the homework!" I have to explain that I don't keep track, but that I am thrilled they did it.

Here is one example of homework. A woman had a reading about her relationship with her Dad, and she was being held hostage emotionally by a memory from childhood. Her homework was to begin writing her Dad letters telling him how this moment in time had affected her. She was encouraged to keep a journal, and fill it with these letters, until she could really free herself from the emotional effects of this experience. Yes she had had therapy, and yes she knew all about what she should do or not do to let go of the past. But nothing was working for her.

I saw her weeks later at a thing our kids were involved in and she rushed up to me and let me know that the exercise was changing her life. Now the idea just popped up as we were doing the reading. And my rule (ethics) is that if it comes up, even it it isn't in the cards, I have promised to find a way to work it into the reading.

I feel that giving the homework elevates the reading beyond "entertainment". And it gives people a tangible to walk away with.

Elizabeth Genco

That's really cool and something I never would have thought of. I'm glad that people appreciate it and do it!

Anything we can do to add value to a reading is hugely important, IMHO.

kerri28

Great that you're doing this! I do the same and it certainly does give the clients something to "do" with their reading. Makes it more concrete etc.

memries

Good move Satori.. much better than thinking you would like to shake them out of their unaware state. You must be getting input into the readings from wherever you get it.. not just you but that connection you have to a higher state. I find I am not that diplomatic nor communicative in lots of cases.

You must be very competent and assuring to your clients to be able to keep that ball in the air. It is probably a natural talent you have assessed and developed.

Satori

Thanks for the positive replies, and yes if you think this is bunk I welcome your skepticism. People seem hungry for information about the esoteric path. Some folks may have never seen a Tarot deck before, and to think that they might captain their own spiritual life, outside of church, is sometimes mind boggling. I find that having some good resource material on a wide range of topics and offering the appropriate material to people is so very affirming. Many times, like I said, the idea pops into my mind to tell them about a particular book or CD, and so I do. I find that I recommend the Sophia Chakra CD to people, as well as Deva Premal. One time it came up for the person i was sitting with to listen to the Australian instrument, didjeroo...not sure on the spelling.

I go with the flow.

Umbrae

Satori said:
Thanks for the positive replies, and yes if you think this is bunk I welcome your skepticism.
Great stuff.

Baroli

Ok, you get the sitter involved in the reading, interactive, and you give homework. Sounds somewhat like someone else I know who does the same thing, in his style.

Great stuff indeed! Very cool Satori.

Baroli :D

Briar Rose

yeah, the Tarot reader I went to did the same thing. She told me I had to make jewelry, like a bracelet, one for me, and one for the little girl I used to be and then meditate I am giving it to her. I thought it was wierd. Then she said I had to go back and talk to her.

The tarot reader was telling me I should go back and talk to my former, younger self.

tmgrl2

Agree wholeheartedly. I give homework, too! Always. I never thought about this with my readings, but I almost always have them leave with something they must do...maybe one focus, perhaps a coming together of a couple of ideas ...and of how they can be put into action.

Good stuff, Satori.

This week, the guy who draws Tony's blood, and I, got into a long discussion of things spiritual and psychic....he shared volumes about his life, his family, his children.

I gave him "homework" for his mom. Just one thing that she should do every day. When she first wakes up, she must have a pad of paper by her bedside, and list ten things for which she is grateful. She can list the same things every day, but they can be new ones, too. Big things, little things, anything that she is thankful for.

Didn't have my cards or my toothpicks, but the homework seemed like a single point of time for his mom ...a start.

terri

Demon Goddess

on the verge of launching pro readings, I think, this is brilliant, it also opens the door that you want them to come back for regular readings. I imagine that people do that, they must or who could ever really build a practice?

Do you think it might help to preset their next appointment at this point too?

T