How do you practice?

GypsyHeart

How do you practice readings before you are ready to do exchanges? If you read for yourself, do you read about smallish things? I mean, I only have so many situations that I would use the cards for and I wouldn't read for the same question over and over.

I really need practice but am not quite ready to read here "in public" <gasp!>

pope22

any old thing a all

i'm sorta the opposite ^_^ In my short time with my tarot deck, i've thrown cards for all sorts of things. Often i have my deck in my messenger, so if I
'm waiting for something I might shuffle right there and do a one card spread {not much room needed for those ^_^}. I do this because eventually I want to be beyond needing reference material to read my cards, and the more practice i get, the sooner that will happen ^_^ Just a note though, spouses don't find it humorous if you pretend your going to do a reading for your order at McDonald's Drive-Thru, lol ^_^

lilangel09

Hmm.. I don't remember how I practiced... I think I journaled and just jumped in and did exchanges since I fear reading face-to-face. Over time your readings will improve. Some people will say you're wrong, but you should take that as a helping hand. There are exercises such as reading for your teddy bear or reading with toothpicks which can help. Journaling/Relating to a few cards a day can help too.

thorhammer

Well, for my part, I just jumped in here, but then again I was familiar with reading both for myself and for limited others long before I joined here. Recently I've tried just pulling cards - two or three at a time - and weaving a story. The one and two-card exercises in the Tarot Games and Fun Forum are helpful, especially to "break in" new decks, I find. It's like when you're learning, say, Maths or Chemistry. You have to learn doing something, but no one's going to give you their accounts books to balance or a new fertiliser to invent, are they? So you have to suspend belief a little while so that you can get the practise.

But seriously, jump in. None of the sharks bite })

\m/ Kat

firefrost

pope22 said:
Just a note though, spouses don't find it humorous if you pretend your going to do a reading for your order at McDonald's Drive-Thru, lol ^_^

ROFL!

lilangel09 said:
Some people will say you're wrong, but you should take that as a helping hand.

I don't know about being 'wrong'. The tarot is read in many different ways by many different people. It all depends on how you interprit it, I would think.

GypsyHeart said:
How do you practice readings before you are ready to do exchanges? If you read for yourself, do you read about smallish things? I mean, I only have so many situations that I would use the cards for and I wouldn't read for the same question over and over.

I really need practice but am not quite ready to read here "in public" <gasp!>

I would strongly suggest you sign up now for the reading exchange groups. They get underway around the 6th, I think. For what it's worth, this will be my first time with these too, although I have done online readings for a couple of years. Believe me, I'm nervous. And I know I shouldn't be, because they're all lovely people there.

Baroli

How does one practice? By getting in there and do readings. You can sign up for one of the reading circles and practice that way. You can offer readings on the ReX. You can, for face to face, invite some friends over and read for them. Of course you can read for yourself, do a daily draw, (I'm lazy I don't do daily draws unless the "spirit" moves me, lol).

Hope that helps some. :)

Baroli

firefrost

Oops - I meant circles when I said exchange groups!

And you think you're going to have problems, Gypsyheart! :D

franniee

just jump right in there ~ that is what I did!

This is a learning forum ~ no worries

Offer a reading exchange for feedback only and do tons of readings.... join the reading circles - there is a newbie one and the regular circle of stones and an intuitive one which really stretches your skills.. I love the circles. Also play tarot games - like mystery person or find this deck or something of that sort. Carry your cards with you all of the time and give readings to friends and family and whomever else you can get.... go to a bar and give readings..

If they tell you you are wrong pay attention to them.... you may be wrong OR you may have hit a nerve and they don't want to let on that you did! :D You'll know when you hit the mark. :laugh:

Practice Practice Practice and PLAY!!! :heart:

firefrost

franniee said:
If they tell you you are wrong pay attention to them.... you may be wrong OR you may have hit a nerve and they don't want to let on that you did! :D You'll know when you hit the mark. :laugh:

Practice Practice Practice and PLAY!!! :heart:

Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick there - I thought she meant other readers were saying interps were wrong because they weren't the same as theirs.

Yes, of course we can be miles off in readings.

franniee

firefrost said:
Looks like I got the wrong end of the stick there - I thought she meant other readers were saying interps were wrong because they weren't the same as theirs.

Yes, of course we can be miles off in readings.

I wasn't responding to your post firefrost. :) I was just telling her what I feel... Tell you the truth I just skimmed thru the responses.... :bugeyed: Sorry.

Sure we can be off - especially without immediate feedback during the reading... that is the hard part here - at least in person it can be a dialogue even if the other person doesn't speak I can feel their energy - but I have also found when I know I have nailed it and the person is protesting it is usually because I hit a nerve... you know? :heart: