PDA

View Full Version : avatars

moderndayruth
08-01-2008, 09:25
Once upon a time, there was an ATer notorious for being an absolute techno-idiot... She couldn't upload pictures of her reading space, nor she could post pictures of her cats... nothing
The techno-dummy's dream was to have her own avatar... as many... well, let's say most of other AT-ers had...
But it wasn't realistic, she was aware of her own limitations...
Untill an cyber-angel, a fellow AT-er created a personal avater for her! The cyber angel also thought the dummy how to upload the avatar...
A miracle!
From that time on, mdr has her own personal avatar ...
thanks to AJ :love:

so, fellow-techno-dummies, don't despair, even the hopeless cases can be solved...
if you have your own AT angel who knows how to create an avatar - i have the upload-for-dummies-step-by-step-instructions and i'll behappy to forward them to you :D

Foucault
08-01-2008, 09:40
A beautiful avatar it is too - congratulations!

Graham.

AJ
08-01-2008, 09:42
You are welcome Ruth. I well remember being nekid and avatar-less...standing on the outside with my nose pressed to the window where Everyone else had shiny beautiful sexy avatars..

Remember you can do Anything you set your mind to.

tarot4fun
08-01-2008, 09:48
Love your new avatar mdr!!! :D

:heart:

moderndayruth
08-01-2008, 10:00
I well remember being nekid and avatar-less...standing on the outside with my nose pressed to the window where Everyone else had shiny beautiful sexy avatars..

ROFL! :D

Some genius - hackers - pc- magicians could express contempt to this heart breaking story, but you know how it hurts... to be avatar-less among the proud owners of beautiful sexy avatars...

Thank you, Graham
:love:

kwesifriends
08-01-2008, 10:23
Hello there you have a Gorgeous avatar have fun with it!

franniee
08-01-2008, 10:28
love it MDR!!! :D I keep changing mine because i have yet to find one i like. :heart:

firefrost
09-01-2008, 05:53
Lovely, mdr!
I've appointed our lovely AJ as well - have just had word to send an email as she has some ready for me - exciting!

moderndayruth
09-01-2008, 06:31
Thank you tarot4fun, kwesifriends and franniee :love:
firefrost, i can't wait to see your new avatar! AJ is so creative, i am sure she will make something really special for you - as she did for me :)
Love&Light
mdr

firefrost
09-01-2008, 07:26
Woohoo! how's about this one??

Thank you very much, AJ, I'll probably use them all!

Star-Willow
09-01-2008, 07:59
MDR, what a lovely story of one friend helping another, I so love your avatar....

Hils, I'm lovin' yours too... my middle child commented one night that she loved your dog though..... mad for dogs that girl of mine....

moderndayruth
09-01-2008, 08:24
MDR, what a lovely story of one friend helping another, I so love your avatar....

Hils, I'm lovin' yours too... my middle child commented one night that she loved your dog though..... mad for dogs that girl of mine....

Thank you Star-Willow :love:
Firefrost, congratulations on your new avatar! It's wonderful! :)
AJ, you rock!

franniee
09-01-2008, 09:16
Thank you AJ - you rock! :heart:

tarot4fun
09-01-2008, 09:33
Firefrost! Franniee!
You both look great!!! :D

moderndayruth
09-01-2008, 09:43
franniee, wow! I :love: your new avatar!

franniee
09-01-2008, 10:06
franniee, wow! I :love: your new avatar!

Thank you Ruth and Suz it was all AJ

XOXO
f

kwesifriends
09-01-2008, 12:39
Wish to have one if I'm I'm already one of you have fun with your new avatar guys!

Lexie
09-01-2008, 17:50
thank you so much AJ for the beautiful avatars you've sent me... I didn't know what to choose first!

love and hugs :heart:

firefrost
09-01-2008, 20:25

Thanks Star-Willow - I'm sure Evie will be back eventually - may even be with her litter that are due on the 25th!

I've always loved your avatar, from the first time I saw it I though what a lovely clear picture it was.

Everyone -

I'm loving all the new ones - don't we look all look good?!

I'm a huge candle fan, and my mirror is so beckoning...

Star-Willow
09-01-2008, 20:34
Thanks Star-Willow - I'm sure Evie will be back eventually - may even be with her litter that are due on the 25th!

I've always loved your avatar, from the first time I saw it I though what a lovely clear picture it was.

ooo. do you think you could PM me a picture? if there is one thing she loves more than dogs, it's puppies :D

My avatar I have in many sizes throughout my house.... the biggest one hangs on a wall over looking my altar :heart: I love John William Waterhouse, and my avatar is my fave of his work :)

firefrost
09-01-2008, 20:49
Ah! that explains why I like it so much then. Not seen much of his work but I do have a large Lady of Shalott picture on the wall in this room. :)

ETA

Of course I'll send pictures of Evie with pups. :)

thorhammer
09-01-2008, 20:58
AJ, what wonderful work you do!

Hils, Lexie and franniee, yours are all beautiful!

Star*, I'm a big Waterhouse fan as well, and yours always gets a bit of a wild Witchy stir going on in my belly!

I'm excited for mine . . . new Hammers coming up! :D

\m/ Kat

gregory
09-01-2008, 21:07
Wish to have one if I'm I'm already one of you have fun with your new avatar guys!
Only subscribers can have custom avatars; otherwise you have to choose from the forum bank. Sorry kwesi.

Star-Willow
09-01-2008, 21:11
Star*, I'm a big Waterhouse fan as well, and yours always gets a bit of a wild Witchy stir going on in my belly!

I'm excited for mine . . . new Hammers coming up! :D

\m/ Kat

Don't it just!? She's my inspiration to get bare footed and conjure, as it were :D .....can't wait to see that picture of you sitting on your throne sharpening your sword, cos I know that's going to be your new avatar :D :laugh:

Ah! that explains why I like it so much then. Not seen much of his work but I do have a large Lady of Shallot picture on the wall in this room.

ETA

Of course I'll send pictures of Evie with pups.

I have the 'Lady of Shallot' and 'Hylas and The Nymphs' in my lounge room and 'Circe' on another wall.... my collection is growing....

http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/images/hylas_&_nymphs_by_waterhouse.jpg

http://www.artinthepicture.com/artists/John_William_Waterhouse/circe.jpeg

so sorry to go off topic MDR, but I had to share these pieces of art.....

moderndayruth
10-01-2008, 10:49
http://www.wilsonsalmanac.com/images/hylas_&_nymphs_by_waterhouse.jpg

http://www.artinthepicture.com/artists/John_William_Waterhouse/circe.jpeg

so sorry to go off topic MDR, but I had to share these pieces of art.....

Wow! Star-Willow, this is a feast for my eyes! Thanks for sharing :love:

firefrost
10-01-2008, 17:46

Agreed! :)

geministar
11-01-2008, 09:59
Hi MDR,

I love your avatar! I too have just received some lovely ones from AJ, I cant stop thanking her :D

Only now my dilemma is getting it up there. I get a message saying it has to be JPG, GIF or several other types of files. Can anyone help me? I feel so silly, would it be because my computer doesnt have certain programs?

moderndayruth
11-01-2008, 10:16
Hi MDR,

I love your avatar! I too have just received some lovely ones from AJ, I cant stop thanking her :D

Only now my dilemma is getting it up there. I get a message saying it has to be JPG, GIF or several other types of files. Can anyone help me? I feel so silly, would it be because my computer doesnt have certain programs?

no, no, it happened to me too
save the avatar on your desk top, not in mypictures and there is an option to choose which format you want to save it- than choose jpg ;)

geministar
11-01-2008, 10:43
woo hoo! Ive worked it out.

Thanks for your help! :D

Star-Willow
11-01-2008, 11:29
http://www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com/

This is his website and it has info on where some of the originals are now hanging.... I found out not so long ago that the original of my Circe Invidiosa print is actually hanging in the Adelaide Art Gallery in South Australia. I lived there for nearly 5 yrs and I didn't even know! boy was I bummed when I found that out... on the upside though, I just found out that one of his originals is hanging in the Brisbane Art Gallery in Queensland, this one I will go and view very soon!!

geministar, your avatar is cool :)

6 Haunted Days
11-01-2008, 11:37
geministar, your avatar is cool :)

So is yours, it's always been a favourite painting of mine!

Also I just wanted to give you a random bear hug {{{Star-willow}}}

Star-Willow
11-01-2008, 12:17
So is yours, it's always been a favourite painting of mine!

Also I just wanted to give you a random bear hug {{{Star-willow}}}

I just love his work. I can get *lost* in the images and forget about everything for a while......It will always be my favourite painting, of his work and of all time I think :)

Thanks for the hug! :)

firefrost
11-01-2008, 17:45
Thorhammer - lovely new avatar but it's taking a bit of getting used to! :D :D

I could picture your other ones easily. Having said that , I 've just spent months being associated with Evie. :)

Lexie
11-01-2008, 17:50
Thorhammer, your new avatar is gorgeous! Well done AJ :)

Scorpio Sam
16-02-2008, 06:20
How do you upload an icon thing????

moderndayruth
16-02-2008, 07:43
How do you upload an icon thing????
Hi Sam :) AJ designed my avatar (icon) - i don't know how is that done- but it's easy to upload it afrterwords...
Or you can choose one from the existing avatars:
click on 'User CP' at the upper left corner of the screen, on the left, the fifth option from the top is 'edit avatar', click on it and choose one.
Hope it helps ;)

edited to add
p.s. hope someone else anwers , cause i am least known for my technical skills - this is basically a 'bump' to drow attention ;)

AJ
16-02-2008, 07:53
Hi Sam, paid subscribers can have anything they want for an avatar, regular members have a nice selection provided by the site. I think there are 15 or so for really new members and over 100 that will come available to you later.

Click on UserCP in the upper left
Click on Edit Avatar
The next page will show you the ones available to regular members, just click on the one you like and Save Changes.

If you ever become a subscriber just ask and I'll find something for you.

Scorpio Sam
16-02-2008, 13:01
thanx

Alta
16-02-2008, 21:27
And, SS, even if you choose not to subscribe, check back to the avatars page after 100 posts. Quite arange opens up, and I think again at 250.

Here is the complete set for anyone with over 250 posts:

http://www.tarotforum.net/misc.php?do=showavatars

Vladaria
20-02-2008, 00:03
I can't get my upload feature to work I've made the pic smaller & smaller
...so now I broke all the rules and pinched an eyeball...I subscribed but I don't know if this makes a difference to Avatar uploading??
Vlad x

AJ
20-02-2008, 00:18
that is really cute!
The dimensions are correct 60 X 60
Is it 8kb or less?
Is it currently hosted on your computer? It has to upload from there.

Pinched and eye :) :) I hate to think how much that would hurt~

What message are you getting on the pop up when it doesn't upload?
Did you only subscribe today? Maybe it takes the software a bit to recognize you as a subscriber?

Vladaria
20-02-2008, 00:35
Thank you I painted it for the forum!
Ahh just looked and it sys it's 12kb :(
not sure how to make the kb smaller....

Sulis
20-02-2008, 00:58
Take the original picture to this site and shrink it with the avatar maker:http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

Vladaria
20-02-2008, 01:04
Thanks Sulis :)

bluefairy
05-04-2008, 05:57
hello , i am new here and i have a picture of bluefairy but how do i add it to make an avatar..o.k. people let me just say off the bat that i am computer challanged...lol if anyone can help me out...

AJ
05-04-2008, 07:34
welcome BlueFairy:

paid subscribers can have anything they want for an avatar, regular members have a nice selection provided by the site. I think there are 15 or so for really new members and over 100 that will come available to you later.

Click on UserCP in the upper left
Click on Edit Avatar
The next page will show you the ones available to regular members, just click on the one you like and Save Changes.

If you ever become a subscriber just ask and I'll find something for you.

bluefairy
05-04-2008, 07:50
hi aj i just because a full member today i paid and everything but does it take time before i can change the avatar..there are alot of nice ones that i see and i will like one too.since it's my b-day next week i told hubby i wanted to be a member...(cheap guy) lol just kidding.but i copied some bluefairys by google and now i want to know whats next...

AJ
05-04-2008, 07:58
The forum owner is in Australia, and she has to physically sprinkle your entry fee with fairy dust before your grey subscriber star appears.

Welcome to the fun side, I'll send you a PM with my email.

bluefairy
05-04-2008, 08:02
thanx alot aj i must say i love your work as well..firefrost's avatar is beautiful .so let me get this straight i have to wait( how long now)...man i can't believe this i had to wait to join now agian to become a memeber of the secret club ...hahaha this can only happen to me..oh well.let's make the best of it.

Alta
05-04-2008, 09:23
Solandia, the forum admin, is away for a day or two, possibly all weekend. She manually re-sets the member's status so it won't be until she returns.

Marion

AJ
05-04-2008, 09:30
i must say i love your work as well..firefrost's avatar is beautiful .so let me get this straight i have to wait( how long now)...man i can't believe this i had to wait to join now agian to become a memeber of the secret club .
Many of the original avatars when this thread started have changed several times, so what you see today isn't necessarily something I've fixed for them anymore.

I expect Solandia does everything by hand so we don't end up with a wad of trolls and spammers. :)

Cavern of Elfhame
24-04-2008, 12:52
All these years online and I still suck at making an icon!! I'll never learn. I'm trying to make one now, I'm used to bigger 100x100 icons though!

firefrost
25-04-2008, 03:23
Cavern - this programme should help you - most of us use it.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

Alta
25-04-2008, 05:27
And, just a reminder, due to bandwidth issues animated avatars are still not permitted.

Alta

Essjay
29-06-2008, 20:01
I thought I was pretty good at this kind of stuff but I'm completely stumped. I've got a lovely avatar but the shrinking site doesn't show it when I've uploaded it. I've tried resizing myself to 60 x 60 but it is still too large. I've resized it to almost a dotty blur but it's still too big.

Can anyone help me? What am I doing wrong?

RViewer
30-06-2008, 02:22
Hi Essjay,

If you send the original pic to me or provide a link to it I could see what I could come up with. I could then provide you a link where you could save the modified avatar.

Just a thought, as I know how working with images can be a bit frustrating sometimes.

raventepes
30-06-2008, 02:51
If you can, save it as a PNG file.

Essjay
30-06-2008, 04:10
Hi Essjay,

If you send the original pic to me or provide a link to it I could see what I could come up with. I could then provide you a link where you could save the modified avatar.

Just a thought, as I know how working with images can be a bit frustrating sometimes.

Thank you! I've sent a PM.

ETA - I didn't need to send a pm as I can attach photos now - oh dear not enough coffee today.

Essjay
30-06-2008, 04:13
If you can, save it as a PNG file.

What's the difference between a PNG and a JPEG? I'm guessing I'm not as savvy as I thought!

Essjay
30-06-2008, 04:51
Yay! New avatar - thank you RViewer!

:)

raventepes
30-06-2008, 04:57
PNG is a tighter file compression than JPEG, meaning where you might have a 60x60 px that's roughly 13 KB with a JPEG, the same 60x60 px fo PNG could be closer to 6.5 KB.

Essjay
30-06-2008, 18:50
Ahh - I see, that makes sense. It explains why some avatars seem to include a lot of detail when other, smaller ones are more blurry.

namesoftrees
14-05-2009, 13:41
I know this is probably old news for many but I pulled this thread up using the search option, and thank-you techies! I've finally worked it out. PNG file.

Photoshop files are too big. My image was down to a cluster of pixels but still way too big I couldn't understand it.

Now I can play with pictures too! :)