PDA

View Full Version : Sudden obsession with new crystal?

Chronata
13-01-2008, 09:56
I often wonder what it means...when suddenly, I want to purchase or surround myself with certain stones, that I hadn't really had much connection with before!

Lately, It's ammonite...those beautiful little fossilized opaley looking spiral shells (they call it ammolite ammonite, when it reflects those opaley colors.)

I had one I bought a few years ago, but I just purchased another in a new age store...and two more from E-bay! (it's bad when my spouse has to remind me...No More E Bay...as I very rarely ever go there!)

A spiral obsession. The Phi...or Golden Mean? I don't know...but I know I want them near me.

I did have a recent vision, where a spirit guide handed me a spiral shell...but it didn't look like an ammonite, and now I feel like maybe this wild obsession has a reason I don't yet see.

What would ammonite mean to you? Does anyone have a story?

And has this sort of thing happened to you? Where suddenly you are drawn to a specific crystal or mineral that you previously didn't care about?

HearthCricket
13-01-2008, 10:06
I am always suddenly attracted to a stone or crystal that never meant anything to me before. Pyrite caught my eye this autumn and I went pyrite crazy! Right now it is pink opal, rose quartz and other pink stones. And amethyst. Who knows why?!!

The shell like stone you are speaking of reminds me of the moon shells they have on the North Shore, here in MA. I found them gleaming in the moonlight one late evening, while on retreat in Nahant, and picked up my favourite. It also reminds me of the book "Gift from the Sea". She has a whole chapter about moonshells and how they are shaped and what they mean. To me it mean retreating, deep within, to a safe and cozy spot, almost like a womb or a bear hibernating in winter. Perhaps this is a sign for you to do some nesting of your own, or hibernating, playing the hermit and retreating both physically and spiritually to be renewed for the upcoming year! :)

Chronata
13-01-2008, 11:10
oooh very interesting insight, hearthCricket!
Thank you! That would certainly apply to me right now...the wanting to retreat and heal, and rest.

And I am very glad that I am not alone in the sudden fixations! :D

it happened a little before...but never this bad!

morticia monroe
13-01-2008, 11:38
Strange you should mention it. I'm having a little love affair with fluorite right now. I just bought this piece off of e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200189277937&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:1123#ebayphotohosting

thorhammer
13-01-2008, 11:49
Nice piece, MM! That's awesome.

Chronata, you're far from alone. I've found that my crystal addictions are very similar to my food ones - there are times that I crave - CRAVE! VIOLENTLY! - green foods like zucchini and broccoli and then others I'll be hunting for the chilli-based stuff!

I've had an ongoing thing with selenite now for a couple of months - my egg is right beside me now :D - and it continues to draw me and help me more than I can say. The power I feel from selenite really is unspeakable. But recently I had this feeling that was almost a physical, digestive-system-based craving for blue chalcedony. I got a piece, and I have had it near me for about a week now. I'm into its clarity and cleansing feel, and when I hold it, its surprising lightness and brittleness are two things that are helping me to balance the watery side of my feelings in the last few months with some clean intellectualisation.

For years I've been helplessly drawn to garnets - uncut but polished are my faves - largely because of the deceptive weight. Other stones like pyrite and good old iron ore (of which I used to see endless stockpiles, working on the big iron ore sites in the Pilbara region of WA) and even celestite which is heavy have drawn me because of their weight. Seriousness.

I could go on. But I'll just say one more - I picked up a rough chunk of an obviously local stone in the crystal shop (I hang out there - the owners are mates of mine :D) and asked what it was, as it was unfamiliar. Maya didn't know, but said she'd ask Stan when he got back in. I wandered around for a bit longer, and found some carved animals made of a lovely stone that looks like super-clear moonstone - just lovely! Opalite, said Maya - then she grinned and said it again and grabbed the rough chunk that I'd been handling before! Same-same, but different! So I took the rough chunk the next week. It's green. I love green. :)

I'll shut up now.

\m/ Kat

Furnacechant
13-01-2008, 12:04
I have found that when I have a thing like this, googling "Metaphysical properties of (insert item here)" usually turns up surprisingly apt connections to whatever is going on in my life/brain at the time. Whatever the reason, we seem to be subconsciously directed to what we need.

Chronata
13-01-2008, 12:56
Thanks Furnacechant! I will try that!
I already have some neat info thanks to my fabulous crystal book from Marina!

Morticia...that's a pretty little Piece there!

Thorhammer...hee hee! Thanks for your stories...I certainly can relate! I went through a Garnet craving too...and a Citrine one.

By the way here's my newest obsession...that I hope to acquire!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MULTICOLOR-PYRITE-Ammonite-Ammolite-DRUSY-DRUZY_W0QQitemZ130188098872QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1018 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thorhammer
13-01-2008, 12:59
Chronata - that's breathtaking! I hope it finds a loving new home with you!

\m/ Kat

Furnacechant
13-01-2008, 14:04
You probably already know this information, but here's one link to start with:
http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/14/149.html

AquarianGoddess
15-01-2008, 02:00
Count me in too! It's been a long love affair with my crystals and now for some unknown reason, I'm very attracted to pyrite. Can't wait to purchase!

MCsea
15-01-2008, 07:23
Chronata, this is how I first got into crystals in the late 1980's (in this life at least)
I was drawn to certain minerals - at that time studying I had lots of malachite in my desk at school - studying a copper mine I NEVER EVER thought about crystals having their OWN properties...
I suppose I was a total non believer in crystals - well new age crystal energy beliefs

I had 70 kilograms of malachite and azurite sitting around my work space - for analysis (scientific), after about a week I felt focus drive mental agility and motivation like never before, I still did not attribute it to the crystals, some weeks later when my grades improved out of site I started to wonder.
I went to a new age store to have my suspicions confirmed, Azurite and Malachite help foster drive mental agility and motivation... I then started experimenting with SMALLER pieces of various minerals without any reference material and started building up my own rules - later to find very good books
on the subject that 'verified' my little system - much MORE research as the internet popped up.

Now when I feel like I need a certain crystal around I do exaclty what Furnacechant suggested :) and I look at as many references as I can..
I have my fav references as everyone does... but I also try and extend it by associating it with things I know more about - a tarot card/angel/mythical creature.. just see where the crystal is taking me

Ocean jasper is my recent collectable ;)

As you know I associate a sabian symbol with a crystal - the drive for this was to help people see their beauty in a stone.. using astrology I can incorporate more meanings - and things like why someone has a particular dislike to a crystal it may be due to that crystal elements astrological degree is retrograde or has a square (difficult placement) in their natal chart..
(http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=56459)

I recently got a bit annoyed with the vagueness some authors have when
writing about crystal energy. I also during the course of promoting
sabian symbols gave people a crystal to help them with their
sabian symbols helping them in some area - most people really got something out of it..
so then I started writing the book..

I hope you have many magical experiences with CRYSTALS :D

MARINA

morticia monroe
15-01-2008, 07:45
Wow Chronata, that's beautiful..never seen anything like it!

Beautiful Luna
18-01-2009, 12:23
Ooh! I've suddenly fallen in love with rose quartz and turquoise! Whenever I hold onto these stones I feel more at peace.

stefficus
18-01-2009, 12:48
=^O it says that auction has been removed! i hope you bought it before then, chronata... or that ebay is just flipping out on me.

that does happen.

tarotlyn
18-01-2009, 12:53
Ooh! I've suddenly fallen in love with rose quartz and turquoise! Whenever I hold onto these stones I feel more at peace.
...rose quartz helps brings "self love"... and turquoise can be used for "protection"...

It is said, I believe, that American Indians, wore turquoise for protection...
...and when they were in danger, the turquoise would crack to warn them of
that impending danger.

Beautiful Luna
19-01-2009, 07:26
...rose quartz helps brings "self love"... and turquoise can be used for "protection"...

It is said, I believe, that American Indians, wore turquoise for protection...
...and when they were in danger, the turquoise would crack to warn them of
that impending danger.

Thank you for sharing that! Its such a beautiful stone and it warms up so quickly in my hand.

Myrrha
19-01-2009, 10:42
What would ammonite mean to you? Does anyone have a story?

I love ammonite. To me they say a lot about time and natural processes.

A long time ago in England they were called Druid's Eggs and were considered very potent. IIRC the Druid Animal Oracle talks about this in the Adder card. I also read something recently about a roman soldier in England being put to death for wearing one to a court proceeding. They were considered to be such a powerful good luck charm that wearing one was tantamount to fraud. I can't remember where I read that though.

I gave my seven year old nephew one for his birthday and told him to be careful with it because it was at least 65 million years old. He liked it a lot.

diane drizzy
19-01-2009, 11:01
Yes, a few threads back I had mentioned this about amber. I had never, ever any feelings about amber one way or another. In fact I'm not really attracted to the coloring at all! Yet I woke up one day and decided I must get some amber. Since then I've become almost obsessed with it, all the colors and inclusions. HeathCricket had agreed that I probably had a need for it. Indeed it has been helpful to me. I only wish all my problems could be so easily solved!

Grigori
19-01-2009, 11:07
And has this sort of thing happened to you? Where suddenly you are drawn to a specific crystal or mineral that you previously didn't care about?

I developed an obsession with selenite some time back, to the point where when in bed at night, at times I'd feel compelled to get out of bed and go get my selenite wand and put it under my pillow or have it near me. At the advice of a friend I ended up making a gem elixir from the selenite and taking it regularly for a little while. It was really beneficial for me, and eradicated some long term insomnia I'd had after a series of traumas in the preceding months.

If you're clearly fixated on one particular type of stone, I'd recommend trying the same. I put a small stone out in a glass jar full of spring water, under the full-moonlight for a few hours one evening (as it seemed appropriate for selenite to do it that way). Then I took a few drops just before bed each day for a week or two. By that time the effect was so clear I stopped taking it regularly and now take it very rarely when I'm not sleeping as well as I'd like.

cardlady22
24-01-2009, 23:47
You do have to be careful about the method for creating gem elixirs since some stones can poison you. Make sure you research first.

Sophie
18-02-2009, 01:25
I often feel called to specific stones (or similar) - that's how I got into amber: I HAD to! Like for Similia's insomnia, it generally coincides with a period of life when I need whatever properties that crystal (metal, fossil, whatever) has.

You do have to be careful about the method for creating gem elixirs since some stones can poison you. Make sure you research first.To make elixirs with stones that can have poisonous metals (e.g. malachite), it's very easy: you place the stone in a clear glass with a thin bottom, then the glass in a bowl of water, making sure the water doesn't touch the actual stone. Leave overnight or for 24 hours. I do it at full or new moon, depending on what I want to achieve. Then proceed as with any other elixirs, using the water.

Beautiful Luna
13-03-2009, 13:31
New obsessions:

Amber, Yellow Jasper, Selenite, Kyanite, clear quartz.... I LOVE THEM ALL :D

Simsy
13-03-2009, 19:43
I have these sudden obessions with crystals from time to time too. Although all crystals can be an obession in a collective group sense as well (i have a lot of tumbled stones of various discriptions)

Simsy

awookie
13-03-2009, 21:23
I love jet and id like ot get my hands on this 1870 cross.

http://www.hhantiques.co.uk/jetcross.jpg

I will settle for something smaller instead.

Simsy
15-03-2009, 03:23
I love jet and id like ot get my hands on this 1870 cross.

http://www.hhantiques.co.uk/jetcross.jpg

I will settle for something smaller instead.

that looks pretty awookie... very very beautful.

Simsy

awookie
15-03-2009, 07:21
yes I thought it would look great with just about everything dress it up or down. A talking point.

MCsea
15-03-2009, 17:47
New obsessions:

Amber, Yellow Jasper, Selenite, Kyanite, clear quartz.... I LOVE THEM ALL :D

thats lovely

and I LURVE the cross awookie

my recent obsessions seem to be spheres and eggs.. polished crystals that is...

MARINA