significant other who disapprove of tarot

Crystal17

ok, im sorry if this is a repeated thread ( so moderators, please feel free to delete this if it is) but do any of you have a significant other who objects to your reading tarot?

very few people know i read cards and my boyfriend wasnt one of them untill now. hes usually so open minded, and now im shocked to learn he doesnt approve because he he's worried ill try to do readings on him.

anyone else have this problem? and if so, how did you deal with it? because i love my boyfriend, think he's the one but i just canNOT give up tarot =(

Anam Cara

Hi Crystal,
I was in a similar situation.
My ex-husband, when we were dating,
wasn't what I'd call open-minded, but he turned
a blind eye to my, er, alternate interests.
However, the longer we were together (17 years),
the more (and more) fundamental he became.
When I showed an interest in tarot,
he told me he forbade me to own tarot cards,
as they were the devil's tool and would
"bring demonic spirits into our home".
Right.
So, I started collecting decks "on the sly" and, I'm ashamed to say,
I hid my decks. I knew when I did so that it wasn't the answer...
Well, he found them, of course, and called me at work that day,
and told me to come home and get them out of the house immediately
or, if i waited, when i did come home i would find all my cards and
related books in a bonfire in the driveway.

He was not kidding.

Soooo, I gave my 20+ decks away to friends (well, all but one deck,
a gift from a friend with irreplacable sentimental value) and donated
my books to the library...

8 years later, I'm remarried to someone who encourages me to
explore and learn...I've NEVER been happier. (and i've replaced
nearly every deck i gave away....and THEN some!! :laugh:)

If you have to give up anything to be with someone,
maybe, just maybe, he's not the right person.
Otherwise, be sure it's something you can happily give up for life....
:heart:cara

willowfox

If I was in your position I would state quite clearly that my interest is in tarot cards and other mystical things and I am not giving them up for you or anyone else, so take it or leave it.
I just cannot get on with closed minded people, if they can't live and let live then who wants them, I wouldn't.

elvenstar

Well, if he's open-minded in general, that means there's a good chance of you coming to an understanding about it. Perhaps you could have a good discussion about it, explaining how you view tarot, what place it has in your life etc. A lot of people have a negative reaction initially because of misconceptions.

You say he's worried about you reading about him. Are you doing that? Are you willing to respect his wish and not do it? I guess this ties in to a very tricky and fundamental aspect of every relationship, trust :)

berrieh

Crystal17, from what you say, it sounds like his *major* objection is a very fair one---the worry that you'll perform readings on him without his knowledge.

I do readings on others, but if someone I care about asks me not to read them, I abide by that rule. Couldn't you simply promise not to read him without his knowledge or permission? Maybe that would clear things up. It didn't sound like a religious or intolerant view. It sounded like he simply didn't like the idea of someone 'invading' his head space and interpreting it with cards.

6 Haunted Days

My husband doesn't disapprove, he's just not that interested in it. He asks questions etc at times, and he did buy me the Bohemian Gothic Silver so it's not all bad ;) But he doesn't disapprove...well sometimes on the $$ I spend on it.

Crystal17

anam_chara, your experience was intense. Its really big of you to just give them away. I know money cant replace the sentimental value but ary value and THAT is soemthing he could compensate. it's big of you to noy demand he at least pay you back. but then he sounded so intense, maybe it was smart that you did not.

yeh, willowfox, i cant really stand closed minded people either and i totally agree with your philosophy about getting rid of close minded people. i kept my tarot reading a secret because i was worried everyone would keep wanting me to read for them. i knew people who were cool but then once they learned i could read, theyd only call me for readings.

and,elvenstar, you brought up a great point- he probably does have trust issues. but to be honest, i did do readings involving him but i seriously didnt think he'd mind. especially since the readings had to do with us, not just him. but now that i know that he cares, i wouldnt do any readings connected to him in anyway.

i'm just surprised that some people would object, for reasons other than religious reasons (the most commonly used reason) and i wanted to see if anyone else had to go through this.

Crystal17

6 Haunted Days said:
My husband doesn't disapprove, he's just not that interested in it. He asks questions etc at times, and he did buy me the Bohemian Gothic Silver so it's not all bad ;) But he doesn't disapprove...well sometimes on the $$ I spend on it.

yeh, the funny thing was, he thought it was all fun and games when i told him i was visiting a tarot reader but when i told him that i could read, all of a sudden he was uneasy

Anam Cara

Crystal17 said:
yeh, the funny thing was, he thought it was all fun and games when i told him i was visiting a tarot reader but when i told him that i could read, all of a sudden he was uneasy
Crystal, I hesitate to say this...ignore me completely if i'm way off base but...
that almost sounds as if he has something to hide...:(
:heart:cara

Muir Aingeal

Mine just disapproves about the $$ spent as well. He did just buy me an OOP Tarot For Cats deck that I... errr I mean he spent waay too much on after researching them but thats my dirty little secret :shhh: I don't think I could ever be with someone who told me I couldn't read or buy tarot anymore! That's just way too controlling for me!!