Unillustrated pip card cravings

BodhiSeed

It all started when Umbrae suggested that I try out the Celtic Tarot by Courtney Davis... I've not worked much with unillustrated pip cards, but now I seem to be drawn to them. I've noticed that many are not really "unillustrated" as they have designs interwoven in many, and the symbols are often arranged in meaningful geometric patterns. Now I seem to be looking for (and collecting these decks), like the Crystal, the Hadar, etc. Anyone else have a sudden craving for these types of cards?

Bodhran

Alta

I am starting to enjoy using them more. But other than the TdM Circles, I admit that I have not had the courage to read with them for others.

For me the interest has grown as I followed jmd's Marseilles course, though starting early with the Thoth helps. And the Thoth of course is not 'scenic' but certainly 'illustrated'.

Umbrae

Psssssst…the cards are non-scenic.

Now if you really want a non-scenic deck, but the concept terrifies you, try the Old English by Kneen.

…ahhh, but the Davis Celtic…lovely deck…

kisou

Aha X_X the last two decks I've taken on to study have had non-scenic pip cards and yes, while I love using them, I agree with Marion in saying that I really don't feel I have the confidence with them yet to use them with others.

Debra

I'll second Umbrae on the Old English. Wonderful for exactly the reason he says, and wonderful all around.

The Medieval Cats has a similar quality.

The "Secret" (also called "Renaissance") has "semi-scenic" pips that are extremely evocative. There is (was?) a terrific study group on that tarot and you can see the scans. It's inexpensive and I think I saw it somewhere on the trading thread in the past few weeks.

BodhiSeed

Umbrae said:
Psssssst…the cards are non-scenic.

Now if you really want a non-scenic deck, but the concept terrifies you, try the Old English by Kneen.

…ahhh, but the Davis Celtic…lovely deck…

I actually had the Old English for awhile... Absolutely LOVED the pip cards, but the majors seemed too flat. Maybe I should buy another copy and just read with the pip cards. :D

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions!

Bodhran