Pro or Non Pro

serenaserendipity

Hi everyone--

I was offered a job with California Psychics in Nov. but I've held off for some reason... lack of confidence in the "business", and not having my own phone line set up... Now it may be too late... So I am reconsidering my contract with them... And thinking about going somewhere else.

Is anyone else here willing to share their experiences with doing phone or online psychic work?

I am wondering if anyone else has considered going pro but elected to stay amateur?

Also, I did get paid for the first time for some readings I gave at a party in early January-- that was great fun, and the money felt like a blessing. Maybe being an independent reader would be better, since it is in person and more money per reading, though less overall perhaps.

I am a single mom and could use the flexible hours and extra pay but I am concerned it might be draining. Here on the AT board we have so much positive feedback and we are really sharing the whole experience...

Sincerely

Serena

memries

I went to a Psychic Show on the weekend. You know, one of those in a hotel banquet room. It was so full of people waiting for readings and sitting on chairs that for sure they must have exceeded the fire laws for people in a room. There was no air.

Honestly, and this was very cynical of me, I thought.. like taking candy from a baby ! I am not sure anyone was getting a good reading and not for me to say but the need is great as people flock to them. The customers were all very well dressed. There was something about the readers I did not like and checked out every one. There was one couple there from Quebec and they looked ok but aside from that it was not a good experience.

If you can get yourself in the right venue you would do very well.

My friend and I tried to do readings in her home. That did not work. It felt awful to have strange people in the home and she was running around with sage after the event.

Doing parties would be alright if you had it all sorted out, ie a private place to do them, fairly quiet and lots of water on hand and a timer to time your readings. A set amount decided before hand, etc.

There are others on here with lots of experience and I am sure they will tell you about it.

berrieh

Those hotlines are draining. I've tried two different ones last year, when I was freelance for a living and had the hours to try it. But not for me. I just felt like a majority of the people who called---unlike my in-person sitters---were in such states of pain and often denial. It's very frustrating and difficult to 'empower' people on those lines, in my opinion.

But others may have a different experience. Working for yourself is generally better, as it's your style of reading. Mine just didn't 'jive' with the hotlines. And the stories were like 90% sad sad sad, all the time. It was exhausting.

I find I make more money, help more people, and feel better when I set up at the local tea shop with my donation box.

EarthFaery

I've been considering it for years now, but I hold back because I'm afraid that if the hobbie I love so much turns into work, it won't be a hobbie anymore, and I won't feel the same:(
I say go for it, If anything you'll learn a lot from the experience, it might open doors for other opportunities including going off on your own. Seems like a good stepping stone to learn the ropes.
I'm not too crazy about hotlines, I think that can be blamed on all of those old Dion Warwick and Miss Cleo infomercials...so "phoney"!

Umbrae

My opinion...

Take it for what its worth.

Every urban area, if you hunt around long enough, has psychic fairs.

Find the ones in your area. Seek them out. Talk to the organizers. Read for the organizers.

Figure out what it will take to spend one or two weekends a month reading face to face for strangers. For money. That is the way to go...

(I hate phone work)

Michelle

Hi Serena,

I have never worked for a Psychic Line, but I do phone readings from my home. I advertised in a metaphysical newspaper and have received several calls. Right now the calls are kind of sporadic , but I'm hoping things will pick up. For now, this is the best way for me to work. I have 4 daughters , so I need to have a flexible schedule and be available when they need me.

I will read in person if that's what the client requests. Depending on the client, I either read them in my home or meet at a book store and read there.

I'm not sure if I answered your question - but wanted to share my (limited) experience with you.

Namaste,
Michelle

serenaserendipity

Thanks

Thanks everyone...

Sincerely,

S.

Chronata

I thought reading by phone was horrible.

Not lucrative, not fun, not great for advancing my psychic career.

You will find a better venue, if you really want to pursue it, and trust in your own skills. It will happen.

Sheri

Umbrae said:
My opinion...

Take it for what its worth.

Every urban area, if you hunt around long enough, has psychic fairs.

Find the ones in your area. Seek them out. Talk to the organizers. Read for the organizers.

Figure out what it will take to spend one or two weekends a month reading face to face for strangers. For money. That is the way to go...

(I hate phone work)

Absolutely positively EXCELLENT advice!

I live in a pretty conservative, boring area. A desert in more ways than one. I did this very thing (not expecting much) and uncovered a restaurant that has a palm reader come in and do readings once a week! :bugeyed: Then, surprisingly, I DID find a fair! :bugeyed: :bugeyed: I went to the fair last year to check it out - small but COOL. Made a commitment to myself to find it the following (this) year.

So this year, I sought it out. This year, I talked to the organizer. This year, they made space for ME to read at their fair.

I am hoping that through them, I can make some connections to read locally a couple of weekends a month. :D Plus I hope to continue to read at the monthly fair I'm part of in the Seattle area :D

The only thing better than reading for people is earning money reading for people!

Have cards, will travel... or not :)

:love: valeria

bigcaat

I read for a psychic line before they were out of your home. It was much better then -- it was a real job in a phone bank where we got paid hourly whether or not calls came in.

I agree with the person who said the people are depressed and lonely -- you need to have a good sense of counseling, and keep references by the phone, I've gotten suicide calls and such, but you can't get better than that for improving your skills in a short amount of time.

I'm just getting back into reading now, and I certainly wouldn't want to do phone line readings for any length of time -- it is draining -- but if you were to do that for just a few months, you have no idea how much your reading would improve. I'm considering doing it for just a couple of months, just to get back up to speed.

Great for practice, but not the clientele you want as a professional, long term.

Caat