Reading cloth ?

Tarotvoyant

Quick question, I'm curious as to how many Tarot readers use Reading cloths while doing readings, my introductory book into learning Tarot was the "Easy Tarot Handbook" by josephine Ellershaw and she suggests that you not only lie your cards on this cloth when reading but also wrap your cards in this cloth when finished, do most seasoned Tarot readers make practice of this?

gorgeousbutterfly

Funny, I was about to ask the same question. I do this with some of my decks, I have some decks I put in a box so I don't use a cloth. I don't know how this affects readings and all. I just like to take good care of my decks. :)

afrosaxon

I try to use reading cloths (or at least a nice placemat!) when reading in public. But in private...sometimes I read on a bare table. My readings have not suffered for it.

I keep my cards in a little embroidered bag I bought at a psychic fair many moons ago.

T.

goddessof1967

Lol I thought this thread was about 'how do you read a piece of cloth'.......

Dancing Bear

i use a cloth, but only use it for reading , dont use it for wrapping..

Promise

If I'm reading for a querent that's actually sitting in front of me, I'll use a pretty vintage scarf or something. When I'm reading for myself, I just throw the cards wherever I am, be it at my table or in bed.

I keep my reading decks in some pretty bags I have, and they fit the cards nicely, so I don't wrap them in anything.

autumnsdaughter

I have a couple black velvet stoles that I got on clearance from Target. They work nicely for spread cloths. I don't wrap my decks in them though. Each one has their own pretty bag. :)

Crystal17

i use my childhood blankie as my reading cloth. it has frogs on it. i dont wrap my cards in it, though.

firefrost

goddessof1967 said:
Lol I thought this thread was about 'how do you read a piece of cloth'.......

Thank you - this gave me a really good laugh this morning!

I've got various reading cloths for various decks, inspired by HearthCricket's lovely set-ups.

I think whether we use them or not depends on the situation/time.

When I do a reading on here, I like to set it out and post the picture to whoever the reading is for.

When I'm asked in a hurry, then the first flat surface to hand is an excellent cloth...!

Foucault

I think we all have various "rituals" and ways that we perform a reading, and that's all good if it puts you (and perhaps just as importantly the querent) in the right frame of mind.

You'll see as you read through these forums that there are many of these rituals that people use. You should also appreciate that there isn't a right and a wrong way - just a right and a wrong way *for you*.

When I'm doing an online reading, I have so little space that I often end up laying the cards out on the keyboard of my laptop (I move them out of the way to type, btw! :) ).

If I'm going to read in a coffee-shop or a bar, for example, I don't really want my cards laying on a sticky table, so a cloth might be the best way to go there. Also, I want to be able to carry my cards in a pocket, so putting them in a bag, with the cloth around them is useful to me.

But don't let not having a cloth put you off reading for one moment. Just do it!

When I read cloth, I like to put out a grid of tarot cards first to lay it on...:D

Graham.