Changing the Back

UrbanFool

I have a deck and I just hate the back of it. Does anyone have a way of improving this while still having a deck you can shuffle?

I was kind of thinking of sanding the backs lightly and then spray painting them. Is that about the best way? Or should I just consider myself SOL?

AJ

do you have an old deck of playing cards?
you could practice all kinds of different techniques on them without screwing up your good deck...

Lillie

What deck is it?

Annabelle

I like AJ's advice.

If it were me, depending on the size of the deck, I'd be tempted to find some printable, peel and stick mailing labels that were slightly smaller than the cards and then print my own design on the labels, then stick them to the card backs.

Edited to add . . . the mention of spray painting the card backs reminds me of the Gaian tarot. I'm not sure how the creator of the Gaian tarot did the card backs, but they look and feel to me as if they were very lightly spray painted. They've been holding up quite well, but I don't use them heavily.

Nydia

All I can really think of is to use markers because it won't make the cards any thicker. Markers could be an easy fix especially if it is just a small part of the backs that you don't like. I think paint would make the cards stiff. I hope it is a deck you could replace easily if the new backs don't work out, whichever method you end up choosing.

lark

I did this once...I used clear contact paper for the front and a nice tan marbled look contact paper for the back....
Then I trimmed it.
I was using a thick cardstock paper for a deck I printed out myself...in a larger than normal size...it was the Dodal.
And it turned out beautifully.
Try it on a playing card first though like AJ said and see if you like the weight if it.