Two questions

lilangel09

If you read for someone you've read for before, how long is it you think they should wait before they come for a second reading concerning the same area of interest? And if so, how you do not make assumptions based on the previous reading if you remember it (mostly)?

This will depend on the way you read, but would you describe the image to a face-to-face sitter? I find that... when I'm not getting thing anymore/draw a blank, I tend to start talking about the image and it brings a few more ideas into the picture (helps me to talk through the picture sometimes). Although, they would be able to see the picture if it were face-to-face.

Grizabella

lilangel09 said:
If you read for someone you've read for before, how long is it you think they should wait before they come for a second reading concerning the same area of interest? And if so, how you do not make assumptions based on the previous reading if you remember it (mostly)?

It depends on whether anything major has happened in a particular situation within a certain time period. If it's changed significantly within a week, then that probably isn't too soon, but if it hasn't, then it is too soon. You just have to go on a case-by-case basis.

Other folks say wait a month or more. You just have to develop your own policy on that. You soon learn to spot the obsessive sitter and can schedule them appropriately.

This will depend on the way you read, but would you describe the image to a face-to-face sitter? I find that... when I'm not getting thing anymore/draw a blank, I tend to start talking about the image and it brings a few more ideas into the picture (helps me to talk through the picture sometimes). Although, they would be able to see the picture if it were face-to-face.

Again, you'll just have to develop your own style based on what works best for you. If you start describing the image to someone who doesn't know your reading style, they might think you're insinuating they're a dummy who can't see for themselves what the card shows, I suppose, but if you word it in such a way that you incorporate symbolism or some other feature, then it would make sense to them that you could just be helping them to understand what the card may mean. Or you could develop it into a dialogue with them so that they're joining into the description.

Eddie

lilangel09 said:

Gosh, this would depend on a lot of variables like the sort of predictions you made in the first reading and whether the querent has waited for these, as a rule of thumb at least a few months, but if you had said that the outcome would happen in 6 months, well then it is pointless doing a reading before then.
Usually as a reader when faced with a spread, you go into reader mode and read the cards in front of you, the moment you start the new reading, the last reading is as old and out of date as an old newspaper.

berrieh

With strangers, it doesn't matter so much to me, as if I don't remember the reading, I have no worries. Even my regular clients, most of them, I forget the reading after it happens. Partially consciously, as it's not mine to remember.

With friends, whose situations I continue to remember and whose cards I sometimes cannot forget, I tell them to wait until something changes, the next prediction period, or a few weeks, maybe 4ish. Most of my friends think it's cool I read Tarot, but they don't get copious readings, so it's never been an issue.

With myself, I try to read until I understand the situation and can make a firm prediction. Then, I stop.

I talk about what I think is happening in the picture, some of the details, what it means. The Sitter can see the picture, but he/she can't see what I'm seeing in it, so I don't feel it's redundant. I think it might get tedious if you went in depth describing each element of each picture... and, of course, it would depend if you charged by the minute, hour, session, etc. Too much of that could be considered padding the reading if you charge by times.

afrosaxon

lilangel09 said:

I usually wait at least 2 weeks before doing another reading on the exact same subject...but it's also dependent upon the spread. If I'm doing a spread for January 2008, for example, then it makes no sense to get that reading on Jan. 1 and then come back for the same reading on Jan. 15. LOL Likewise for a New Year's reading: If my reading is to show the energies for the rest of the year, then why come back in March for another New Year's reading?

lilangel09 said:

Yep...this works for me. If I'm doing an online reading, I try to attach an image(s) of the card(s) in question so that they can see the pictures too.

T.

rwcarter

lilangel09 said:
This just happened to me last weekend when I did 3 readings for a friend/co-worker. In at least two of the spreads, I turned a card over and drew a complete blank on what the card could mean in that position. So I honestly told the Querent that I wasn't getting anything from the card and would come back to it after I finished with the other cards. In both cases no more 2 cards later, I was able to go back to the card I'd skipped and interpret it.

In one of the spreads, I got Death for the BF's role in the relationship. WTF? :confused: I gave a general "this is what this card might mean, but hopefully the other cards will give me more info, so I'll have to come back to it." The next position was something like what the Querent will get from the relationship and I got the Tower. Another brief WTF moment before I realized that in this case the two cards were different aspects of the same thing, one externally imposed (Death) and one internally experienced (Tower). The two interpretations made sense to the Querent.

So, that's another long-winded way of saying that I skip over the card and come back to it after one or more other cards have been turned over and I have a better idea of what the card is trying to say. And generally I do that regardless of whether I draw a blank or not. Each individual card doesn't exist in a vacuum, so after I've interpreted each card individually, I'll go back and look at the whole layout and possibly modify or completely change an interpretation of one or more cards based on the additional knowledge I've gained from the other cards.

Rodney

Alta

lilangel09 said:
That depends on how quickly the situation is changing. Or if they want to explore different aspects, or another person has become involved.
But if the situation is going along, better to let the cards unfold otherwise the readings either repeat or get muddy.
lilangel09 said:
If it helps, do that. Even, get them involved. Ask them to describe the picture. Very evocative.

lilangel09

I'm liking all your answers :).
Reason I asked the first one is because I had a sitter want a reading on her romantic life... so okay, I did and told her what I think she should do. Well, I thought she actually took the action that was suggested by the first reading, so when I did the second one, I thought she had taken an action, but she took an inaction (internal change), but the real-time situation really hasn't changed. I basically got a lot of the same messages from the last reading and a few messages about the possible future. It was different but the same for a lot of it.

For the question, I think I have gotten a lot of good ideas. I was worried that I might offend by implying that they were stupid... but sometimes I actually get more from looking at the details than of the general situation in the card because I'm not searching for meanings anymore when I look at details... they just come. I've also thought about asking what they get from some of the cards I might draw blank on. (As illustrated in Splungeman's first stranger reading.) I did go through some of Umbrae's blank spot readings to see if they may apply. (But I'm not sure since I consider myself still learning.) I feared that if it is a blank spot, I may miss something by continuing to talk about the imagery, and not allowing the blank to sit long.