Should I crochet a set of Tarot Bags?

StellarMyst

I was wondering what the community thought about Crochet Tarot Bags for long-term use?

This would be done in a yarn weight of - if not merely close to - that used for beadspreads, and coasters that are kind-of elegant-looking - as opposed to using a *fuzzy* type of yarn...?

I think this would be fun to design and make. It might last a long time like well-made antique crochet-type workings do...?

Any thoughts? i'LL BE GETTING THE STUFF FOR ANOTHER CROCHET PROJECT ON sATURDAY.

TY,

BLESSINGS,

StellarMyst

zannamarie

I would think it would hold up as well as the yarn would hold up.

I crocheted a bag with the fine cotton yarn and it seemed like it took forever to do and I believe I used a double crochet stitch (which should have been a bit faster). Because the yarn is so thin, I used a very small hook.

I've made two other bags since then and I've used regular weight yarn and an afgan hook and the bags were completed much faster. :laugh:

I had also knitted one of the finer yarn (and it took forever too), but it seemed too stretchy to me and I didn't like it so I tossed it. The afgan stitch is more like crocheting so it's not so stretchy.

Debra

Crocheting in that fine pearl cotton is a dying art. Do it! If it doesn't suit your deck, you can use it for jewelry or odds and ends in your purse or drawer.

I used to use the finest thread to crochet lace borders on handkerchiefs. They sold linen handkerchiefs with small holes around the border for that purpose--those were the days.

inanna_tarot

Crochet is like some magical power to me. Ive tried and I just can't get it to work. Everytime I try to do something I feel I should have another hook to do it lol.

I'm a knitter and I think that for the while I'll stick to it. I've got a book and watched various you-tube videos on crocheting but it still confounds me and the hook n yarn gets thrown across the room more often than not!

I've knitted little tarot bags, using DK and 4ply and they feel lovely. Especially if you use 4ply as its all soft and squishy like sock yarn. mmmm sock yarn.

ribbitcat

I prefer fancy stuff - so anything in, say, multi-colored, or a gold or silver metallic crochet yarn would be good :) How does this retain its shape, or does crochet yarn just end up squooshed ...if you see what I mean ?

ribbitcat

Lillie

I have crocheted tarot bags in thin cotton thread.

I did them as filet crochet.
Little squares, like a mesh.

It's ok, but they needed lining, which was a pain.

This is a really rubbish picture of some.

http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8959

They have a draw string at the top.
They work quite well.

celticnoodle

Oh Lilllie! they are lovely! I think this is a great idea too, Stellamyst, and wonder why I didn't think of that myself!

I'm not a great crocheter, but I'm better at that then I am sewing, really. So, you gave me a great idea & I'm going to go out and purchase some yarn for just this idea! :)

missycab

I like to crochet tarot bags. It's simple and nice! I used some wool I had at home.

Here's a picture:

raffle.jpg

Your bags are lovely Lillie! :thumbsup: Good idea... fillet crochet... (at home we have all the curtains made of fillet crochet, made by my grandma or my mom)

baba-prague

Lillie said:
I have crocheted tarot bags in thin cotton thread.

I did them as filet crochet.
Little squares, like a mesh.

It's ok, but they needed lining, which was a pain.

This is a really rubbish picture of some.

http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8959

They have a draw string at the top.
They work quite well.

Those are beautiful Lillie. I do filet crochet too - in fact I used to collect patterns for it. Maybe I should try a tarot bag? I'd fancy one with one of those fat filet crochet cherubs.

StellarMyst

First things first: My literal initial reaction to seeing so many replies:

WOW! :bugeyed: Holy *sheep*!

Aaaaannnd for the individual replies/feedback on my end...I'll respond one at a time so that even I don't get confused....lol! ;)