Serenity's Northern New Age

lilith

HI, does anyone out there read for this company? I recently submitted an application and they want to hire me, but I need to fax them a copy of my social security card and driver's license. This creeps me out a little bit.

I'm really leary of giving personal information out like that without knowing enough about the company or if they're legit. Also is this common for applying for a phone line job? Thanks

AJ

if they are paying you a wage or fee they have to do the normal government things, social security, taxes with held, W-2 and 4 etc. That requires they have your social security number to make those reports and payments.
Doesn't answer your question about the company background though...

Grizabella

Is this an internet business or do they have a "real" business in the real world? If it's just an internet-based thing, I think I'd be more leery. I'd check out the business throroughly somehow either way before sending in that kind of information. But like AJ says, they do need that information to hire you unless they're hiring you as a private contractor.

Oh, to answer your question----no, I've never heard of them.

lilith

Hi, yes it is an internet business. I can't seem to find any other information about it. I do like how they seem to run their business from other phone readers. I thought their website seemed more caring for the readers, for a change......but I'm still leary. Here's their site.

http://www.serenity-snna.com/

celticnoodle

Solitaire* said:
Is this an internet business or do they have a "real" business in the real world? If it's just an internet-based thing, I think I'd be more leery. I'd check out the business throroughly somehow either way before sending in that kind of information. But like AJ says, they do need that information to hire you unless they're hiring you as a private contractor.

Oh, to answer your question----no, I've never heard of them.
I agree with Solitaire here. You may be able to find out something about them through Better Business Bureau or maybe there is another business sight that you can check up on them. I'm also pretty leary about giving out private information to people whom I don't know well or a company that I'm not well aquainted with.

it is true they need this information for taxes, but i'd still check them out first.

Grizabella

I don't think I'd send them any personal information. I just went to the site and I didn't see anything that made me very confident of them. They don't list a real world address where they're based or a phone number (unless I missed it) where you can call someone. They say some really reassuring things, but so do people who are con artists.

Also, a red flag for me was that they don't state what percentage of your money they keep. They're not doing this just out of the goodness of their heart---they're going to keep some percentage. Did they tell you anything about that if you contacted them? If so, what percentage of your money do they keep and what are the other details of their contract with you?

Grizabella

I just went back there and they have this statement on the page: "Our company and the psychic networks we hire for"--------psychic networks they hire for? That's a big question mark for me. The impression we're given, if we don't notice that phrase, is that THEY are the people they're hiring for. Right? So what's the "psychic networks" doing there? It's really easy to skim right over that and miss it. If they're hiriing for other networks, then there should be links to those to make me feel more confident about it.

Also, this doesn't really look like a site that's been hiring people for years like the testimonials say. It looks more to me like a Yahoo Geocities site that can be gotten for $5 and put together in an afternoon. Not that those are bad, mind you. I've even made one. :p But I'd expect something more polished if they've been around for years.

In reading the testimonials, an e-group is referred to, but the name of it isn't given. I'd like to know the name of it.

How did you find this site? If you investigate it more, keep us posted what you find out.

lilith

I stumbled across it awhile back when I googled "tarot reader jobs" I think. Then I read their site and after looking through several others, came back and filled out their questionaire. It seems to say all the right things and after I filled out the application they emailed me back stating that I would start out at .22 cents a minute. then if they log in over 1500 min per a pay period it goes to .23 cents on up to .24 cents for 2700 min per a pay period.

They state that payment is every two weeks, with the first pay period being four weeks to start.

And so far this is all I know other than, I need to fill out my application and send my soc. sec. number and copy of my driver's license to them

Grizabella

Well, if you're using your own phone line, how would they know what number of minutes you're racking up? That's something to think about. Wouldn't a legitimate business want some way to keep track themselves, not just the honor system? I think so.

Another thing that's kind of minor but I did notice it, is that their testimonials are all written with good punctuation, spelling and such. Now, it's true they could edit those themselves before putting them up, but if they're real testimonials, they're not going to all be that perfect. The writing and spelling skills of the average person these days just aren't that good.

Still another thought-----why do they need a driver's license when you're not standing in front of them where they can see if you match the photo and description? There's no reason for them to ask for that, in my opinion, when anyone could send in anyone else's driver's license and social security number and they'd have no way to judge whether they actually belong to you.

The fact that they want this information faxed to them really bothers me. I wouldn't do it.

starrystarrynight

Why would they need a copy of your driver's license?