3 Ghosts...

Durant Hapke

Brothers, and Sisters,

Your on it, my line "in" was cut -- no key tapping or high speed entertainment (adult? perhaps a bit, it's a big universe...).

So, am orbiting in from a friends -- yeah, more there -- so have to be short.

Over the big push into 08, a Tarot notion arrived while tipping a few at inquisitive hot curves house, she being ever asking about the 78, so I followed my muse.

The thought was simple: a Dickens spread of four cards.

Yeah, bring it:

A card for the ghost of Christmas past.

One for the ghost of Christmas present.

A third for Christmas yet so come.

And a fourth for Jacob Marley (of course that would be the Alec Guinness version from SCROOGE my all time favorite: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066344/ ).

Not sure why I decided to go with the Marley card, but as he appears as a ghost in the show -- with all the bell ringing and such -- had to go there.

This kicked off an experiment of awesome proportions (I went with the RW, though continue to trip out on the Thoth).

More on this -- I'm alive.

Durant "drink the milk of human kindness, but watch out for the hang over" Hapke

Thirteen

Durant Hapke said:
The thought was simple: a Dickens spread of four cards.
Well, this is very interesting, but I believe this thread belongs in "Tarot Spreads" or "Talking Tarot" rather than "using cards" which is all about the cards themselves.

That said, and as a Dickens Fan, I'd say that the Marley Ghost is quite clearly a ghost of "The outcome if you don't change things." That is his purpose in the story after all, to show Scrooge how he'll end up if he doesn't listen to the three ghosts and changes his behavior accordingly.

AJ

glad you popped in, I was wondering where you were~

Demon Goddess

Thirteen said:
Well, this is very interesting, but I believe this thread belongs in "Tarot Spreads" or "Talking Tarot" rather than "using cards" which is all about the cards themselves.

That said, and as a Dickens Fan, I'd say that the Marley Ghost is quite clearly a ghost of "The outcome if you don't change things." That is his purpose in the story after all, to show Scrooge how he'll end up if he doesn't listen to the three ghosts and changes his behavior accordingly.

Spreads or other, I agree, but I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of Durant's reading... very very interesting.

Sulis

What are you using the Marley card to represent Durant?
Is he some sort of conscience card?

StellarMyst

I am looking forward to the rest of the reading too. I think a trippy reading experiment will be good for such a gloomy morning! hehe! ;)

morticia monroe

Well there y'are, sugarpie..... I was wondering where you'd found to get to, as I have missed your posts sincerely.

I find your ideas and posts to be akin to the Halloween cornfield maze I visit yearly. I look forward to entering, knowing that I'll find twists, turns, and surprises, and that I'll have to do some thinking in order to find my way out. And it takes time. I always pack my lunch.....

That said, spinning off of thirteen's thought that Marley would be the outcome if you don't change things, then surely we would need a Tiny Tim card as the outcome if you do.

Durant Hapke

3 + 1...

Brothers, and sisters,

Rock star on, to be noticed MIA -- pore a tall one on me, or ingest your best.

It is a bit of a tangled web I wish to weave, and as I threw out, having lost my conduit to the digital sphere, so will have to spoon it out min packets.

I did record much of the events of the past weeks on small scraps of paper, and beer coster, so will try to be "on it" accurate (well, there is the DH perception filter to contend with, but my fellow band members here at AT are all down with that action, so it's all good).

Let me blast ahead to report that the Marley card (the V of Cups was pulled) was a late arrival to the party, coming by way of an extra draw demanded by HK for a fourth card as she said Marley was a ghost as well (Hot K? -- some will recall is the fine killer curve whom also challenged me to define the Tarot in a tag line -- to which I responded with: Tarot: An Odyssey of Nimble Inquiry, Insight, and Intuition -- http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=81294&page=6&pp=10 )

I countered that he (Marley) didn't come on the scene to "show" Scrooge anything, he was just telling him what was coming down, the other ghosts did the real lifting, swinging, and flying.

"Jump back," she blasted, "He is the coordinator of the visits, he's throwing the kelpie pajama party of change (and learning), so draw a Damn Donkey facilitator card."

Her point made sense though the clouds of the evening, so I figured this was a card that represented changes that might be highly valuable but unseen by the them -- what are we blind to.

So, on from there.

But to jump even further, at the end of the day, what I ended up gaining from the "3 ghost + 1," was a jack bird lot about reversals.

Durant "give back my wire" Hapke

Durant Hapke

dry smoke...

Brothers, and Sisters,

Bring it.

So, regarding the five of cups as Jacob Marley...

As indicated by Dickens, Jack bird Marley has attained a new vantage point upon kicking on over into the "spirit realm," but even so, has all but given up on old Jack Scrooge.

Five of cups Marley (in his burial shroud) is compelled (or required?) to drag his "dreary dry vapor self," back across the river Styx to stand "within" Scrooge's dilemma, and with a focus on Scrooge's spilt opportunities, contemplate "what has happened."

These thoughts are self referential as well given that Marley was a greedy dump donkey in his own life -- hence a sense of shame and need to "cover up" his freaky post death body -- wrapped in chains, no doubt, hidden within his cape.

He sees his former partners chances at becoming "well tuned" to the world -- or rocking the planet with a positive beat -- all but over -- sadly squandered.

However...

In the messy spill of three over turned cups (three visitations?) Marley sees a last chance for grump bucket Scrooge to turn his boat, an opportunity to throw him a line -- and opportunity for him to get some learning and change before the wine dissipates into the earth.

To cups up?

Yeah, baby, two gleaming goblets of hope still untapped inside Scrooge -- two golden mugs containing promise and hope for both his own inner being (redemption?), and his fellow man (the milk of human kindness? And a dancing Tiny Tim -- party on little Razzle-barry dressing boy ).

Sound plausible?

Durant "time is ticking to fast" Hapke

Durant Hapke

cups & bells...

Brothers, and Sisters,

Jack bird busy -- like yeah, bees? Big bees from Japan -- more later.

Hoping to grow and expand my brain, so posing a question.

Are the Cups ever referred to as bells?

Do they have a Bell relationship?

Are Chakras bells?

I know water is all about that action, but water is known to tinkle like a bell?

Jacob Marley's ghost ponders:

http://www.duranthapke.com/tarot/s.5oc.marley.jpg

Insight is all happening -- big drink thanks.

Durant "sucking on the Thoth and getting a all balloon headed" Hapke